Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 22, 2024, 10:21:30 am

Author Topic: Opinions about different universities?  (Read 11578 times)  Share 

Pinapplesbaby

• South Australian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Opinions about different universities?
« on: November 04, 2013, 07:19:14 pm »
Hi all,

I'm a Radeladian, and well applying to NSW universities for a bachelor of science, hoping a major in something chemistry related.

Which universities should I apply for in preference and why? Besides Uni of Sydney on top how should I place these preferences for a BSc?

University of New Castle (Central Coast)
University of Technology, Sydney (City)
University of Western Sydney. (Parramatta)

Being from Adelaide I couldn't attend open days or lectures. UTS looks pretty awesome, but I can't seem to distinguish the difference between UWS and UON. I've heard UWS has a bad rep, not entirelly fussed but apparently UON  has a better one but it has lower ATAR.

Thanks, opinions please! :)

kimmie

• Forum Regular
  • School: St Marys Senior High School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: Opinions about different universities?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 03:49:50 am »
Tbh uts all the way

Hi all,

I'm a Radeladian, and well applying to NSW universities for a bachelor of science, hoping a major in something chemistry related.

Which universities should I apply for in preference and why? Besides Uni of Sydney on top how should I place these preferences for a BSc?

Being from Adelaide I couldn't attend open days or lectures. UTS looks pretty awesome, but I can't seem to distinguish the difference between UWS and UON. I've heard UWS has a bad rep, not entirelly fussed but apparently UON  has a better one but it has lower ATAR.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 08:54:24 am »
Hi all,

For that very small range you gave I would probably have just said UTS straight away. Except technically they're more engineering than science.

(WSU has a bad rep mainly because of the people go there. But they have since launched an aggressive marketing campaign in an attempt to really boost their reputation. You can try them out, however in my opinion WSU is risky. Don't be fooled into thinking they ARE a bad university though.)

But given that you're choosing science, it's really hard to say what universities are better than UNSW in Sydney.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 10:43:24 am »
For that very small range you gave I would probably have just said UTS straight away. Except technically they're more engineering than science.

(WSU has a bad rep mainly because of the people go there. But they have since launched an aggressive marketing campaign in an attempt to really boost their reputation. You can try them out, however in my opinion WSU is risky. Don't be fooled into thinking they ARE a bad university though.)

But given that you're choosing science, it's really hard to say what universities are better than UNSW in Sydney.

Although I massively agree with you in that UTS and UNSW are great unis, I massively disagree on WSU. They are a fantastic university for many people for a wealth of reasons, have heard nothing but wonderful things from everyone I know who goes there  ;D

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 01:00:09 pm »

Although I massively agree with you in that UTS and UNSW are great unis, I massively disagree on WSU. They are a fantastic university for many people for a wealth of reasons, have heard nothing but wonderful things from everyone I know who goes there  ;D

Probably didn't word what I said properly. Nah I'm not trying to put WSU down, it's just risky not knowing how good it actually is.

Reality is though if no good students go there it will never get its reputation back up so I'm not against it either

(Personally I want to see WSU rise up there. It's only the people that go there which caused the reputation fall, not the uni itself.)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 01:20:54 pm by RuiAce »

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 01:47:07 pm »
Are you considering UNSW at all? Just because I didn't see it in the list, and I personally love their science programme to absolute bits. Otherwise, though, UTS definitely has some really good stuff going on there, and some REALLY passionate researchers there to help drive the education up. Granted, I haven't been around these unis since I was in year 12, so things could definitely have changed. You should think about enquiring with the universities by e-mails - they're usually fairly happy to answer any queries, and to them this is a real business, so if you ask them, "why should I pick you over x university", they will have an answer for you.

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 01:52:59 pm »
ou should think about enquiring with the universities by e-mails - they're usually fairly happy to answer any queries, and to them this is a real business, so if you ask them, "why should I pick you over x university", they will have an answer for you.

Can totally affirm that uni's are generally pretty happy to answer any questions future students might have. Know this for a fact cuz I've emailed my fair share of universities interstate with questions to make up for the fact that I couldn't be there in person to pester them with my a million and one questions. :P

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 02:00:17 pm »
Now that I glance at this more cautiously

Tbh uts all the way

What was the point of commenting on a thread made in 2013?

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 02:03:31 pm »
+1
Hahahaha. It happens. I don't think many of us look at the dates before replying to a post tho I thought you guys knew. I ran on the assumption that y'all were posting for future reference for anyone in the same situation. :P

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 07:52:38 pm »
+1

LOL. Rui, you'd make a good mod. :P Necrobumping isn't really good practice, but I feel good discussion has come out of it, so we won't worry too much.

kimmie

• Forum Regular
  • School: St Marys Senior High School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 11:02:33 pm »
Oops didn't see the date Hahahahah

lozil

• Trailblazer
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 09:33:17 pm »
Anyone know about Humanities at UNSW? I know they're pretty good at USyd and Macquarie but I've heard that UNSW is better at science/business

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 10:41:33 pm »
Anyone know about Humanities at UNSW? I know they're pretty good at USyd and Macquarie but I've heard that UNSW is better at science/business

UNSW does have incredible science and business degrees, I've heard good things about humanities too! Not very knowledgeable though, maybe someone else can lend a hand ;D

conic curve

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 08:23:29 am »
I might be wrong on this but this is my interpretation of the Uni's

UNSW: famous in science and engineering. Also is well known for having an actuarial studies faculty
Usyd: famous in law, maths and medicine
UTS: as the name suggests famous in technology, IT
MAcquarie: I heard that this was the first uni to introduce actuarial studies
UWS: underrated to be honest. Not as popular as other uni's. It doesn't mean that it's bad, you can still go there and managers will still employ you (if you apply for a job obviously however you'll need to pass an interview)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 08:24:50 am »
(if you apply for a job obviously however you'll need to pass an interview)
That's for every uni you go to lol

I reckon give it a few years and WSU will no longer be underrated. Their marketing campaign last year was actually really good.