Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 09, 2024, 10:19:21 pm

Author Topic: UMAT Question Thread!  (Read 11395 times)  Share 

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
  • Respect: +66
Re: UMAT Question Thread!
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 10:19:19 pm »
+1
How do you approach these types of questions?
[img]http://s14.postimg.org/o9t34xfe5/UMAT_Question_2.jpg[/img]
venn diagrams/tables/karnaugh maps whatever helps you sort the information

amandalin

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 11:28:01 pm »
Hi guys! Could someone please explain the solution to this question to me in more depth? Would be greatly appreciated ^_^

AllG_

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 11:31:18 pm »

AllG_

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 11:34:19 pm »
the link above doesn't work

Splash-Tackle-Flail

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • diagnosed with bangali-fever
  • Respect: +94
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2015, 12:51:47 pm »
Stuck with this one- similar to AllG's!
VCE: Done!
2016:  Monash University, Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery (Honours)
Currently offering Methods and Chemistry tutoring for 2016! (Currently full for 2016)
Splash's Life Tips :)
How to be the one who knocks

Splash-Tackle-Flail

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2015, 12:55:26 pm »
+1
Hi guys! Could someone please explain the solution to this question to me in more depth? Would be greatly appreciated ^_^

Try to look at it as if the shape is a long trail of blocks with the frontmost block (bottom one in first sequence) moving in a clockwise fashion, and with the other blocks attempting to follow the first block's movements. However they are affected by gravity so (say in 3rd sequence) they will simply fall down to the bottom if no support is underneath it. So therefore following the sequence you end up with D.
Currently offering Methods and Chemistry tutoring for 2016! (Currently full for 2016)

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +273
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2015, 02:13:32 pm »
+2
Ill give it a go, not entirely sure though:

Because all options have the two grey slots, then our main focus for now will be those grey ones. Each grey slot moves 4 units in a clockwise direction:

C - A - E - D - B

Now also look at the white slot. If we follow our sequence you can see that it moves 5 units every move,  and it supposedly starts at C exactly where the top grey slot is, and from there it moves clockwise direction 5 units and hence it confirms our answer as E in the middle.
2016-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2015: VCE (ATAR: 94.85)

Splash-Tackle-Flail

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2015, 02:43:52 pm »
Ill give it a go, not entirely sure though:

Because all options have the two grey slots, then our main focus for now will be those grey ones. Each grey slot moves 4 units in a clockwise direction:

C - A - E - D - B

Now also look at the white slot. If we follow our sequence you can see that it moves 5 units every move,  and it supposedly starts at C exactly where the top grey slot is, and from there it moves clockwise direction 5 units and hence it confirms our answer as E in the middle.

Wow thanks! on another note- how do you pick up patterns like this? As in especially given the amount of different movement and the fairly unconventional pattern (like usually it's only 2 units or 1 or something clockwise/anticlockwise)

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +273
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2015, 03:05:47 pm »
+1
Wow thanks! on another note- how do you pick up patterns like this? As in especially given the amount of different movement and the fairly unconventional pattern (like usually it's only 2 units or 1 or something clockwise/anticlockwise)

I actually could not believe i did this.... If this came up on the UMAT, i would DEFINITELY leave it till the end, just to spend the extra few minutes if allowed to devise a formulaic movement. Just look for patterns, consider everything. It's not like I looked at and initially went - oh, the greys move! - I started off counting how many black slots there were in each picture, all of them have 8 except for one with 9, tried to devise a formula for it, didn't work. Moved on with another way to look at it. Don't get me wrong though, I fluked this so hard..
2016-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2015: VCE (ATAR: 94.85)

Splash-Tackle-Flail

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2015, 03:14:14 pm »
+1
I actually could not believe i did this.... If this came up on the UMAT, i would DEFINITELY leave it till the end, just to spend the extra few minutes if allowed to devise a formulaic movement. Just look for patterns, consider everything. It's not like I looked at and initially went - oh, the greys move! - I started off counting how many black slots there were in each picture, all of them have 8 except for one with 9, tried to devise a formula for it, didn't work. Moved on with another way to look at it. Don't get me wrong though, I fluked this so hard..

Well in this test it doesn't matter how you figure it out fluke or no, if you're answer is correct, you'll get the mark, and you got the mark in that one so what ever you do definitely works (y)

paper-back

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "I must govern the clock, not be governed by it"
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2015, 05:50:34 pm »
venn diagrams/tables/karnaugh maps whatever helps you sort the information

Still having trouble doing it, can someone please help me with this question?
http://postimg.org/image/o9t34xfe5/

jt1997

• New South Welsh
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2015, 08:02:51 pm »
Still having trouble doing it, can someone please help me with this question?
http://postimg.org/image/o9t34xfe5/

What are the answers?

paper-back

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2015, 08:32:04 pm »
What are the answers?

It was C, A, C respectively. I get the answer for question 4, but I'm not sure how to do 3
For question 5, can't we assume that one of the three groups receive no award therefore answer can be D?

jt1997

• New South Welsh
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2015, 08:54:52 pm »
+2
It was C, A, C respectively. I get the answer for question 4, but I'm not sure how to do 3
For question 5, can't we assume that one of the three groups receive no award therefore answer can be D?

For 3 I got A by process of elimination, i.e. figuring out which ones can be false by considering different cases. I'll refer to the group with all German speakers as G1, and the other two as G2 and G3. There are 12 German speakers, 12 French speakers, 6 girls, and 18 boys.

Option A: Consider if all except one member of G1 was a boy (i.e. 1 girl German speaker and 7 boy German speakers). This leaves us with 11 boys and 5 girls remaining in G2 and G3, of which 4 are German speakers and 12 are French speakers. If we consider all the boys to be French speakers, we are left with no German speaking boys. Thus the statement is false.
Option B: Consider the case where all girls speak French. The case works so the statement is false.
Option C: We know that each group has at least 1 girl. For the maximum amount of girls in G2 and G3 (5) there should be one girl in G1. These 5 girls in G2 and G3 can all speak French, thus the statement is true.
Option D: Consider the case where there are 4 girls in G1, and one French speaking girl in each other group. There would be 4 German speaking boys in G1. Thus we have 14 boys in G2 and G3, of which 12 speak French and 4 speak German. If we consider all the boys to be French speakers, we can have a maximum of 12 French speaking boys. Thus the statement is false.

For 5 I assumed the same as you as the question does not say each group receives a prize. If this was the case, testing Option C, G1 and G2 could receive 4 prizes, and G3 none. Thus, the winning group would need to win at least 5 prizes to win more prizes than any other group. So my answer was D. But if we can't make that assumption I can see how it's C.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 08:58:12 pm by jt1997 »

paper-back

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2015, 09:44:33 pm »
Thanks jt1997, still some parts with which I'm not clear with but don't worry