Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 30, 2024, 01:25:10 am

Author Topic: How to prepare for all prescribed texts  (Read 809 times)

tyler.crook1

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
How to prepare for all prescribed texts
« on: October 02, 2018, 06:12:44 pm »
Looking for useful tips on how to study for all possible texts they could prescribe in paper 2. For Module B I must know 7 speeches and for Module A I do John Donne for which i must know 9 poems. In my current master essays for both modules I only mention 2 of the speeches/poems. Is it possible to only study the "most likely" prescribed texts? Otherwise, how in depth should I study all of the texts when there is a chance they will not prescribe at all in the HSC. Thanks :)

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
Re: How to prepare for all prescribed texts
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 08:25:59 pm »
+1
Looking for useful tips on how to study for all possible texts they could prescribe in paper 2. For Module B I must know 7 speeches and for Module A I do John Donne for which i must know 9 poems. In my current master essays for both modules I only mention 2 of the speeches/poems. Is it possible to only study the "most likely" prescribed texts? Otherwise, how in depth should I study all of the texts when there is a chance they will not prescribe at all in the HSC. Thanks :)

Hi...
I definitely would not risk going into the exams without knowing a little bit about each. So that means, definitely memorise some quotes and techniques for each of the prescribed. If you are doing pre-prepared essays (which is what is sounds like), then I would encourage you to practice switching one of your main speeches/poems for each of the others, because you may well have to do this in the exam.

Not sure how it would work for Mod A, but I'm guessing you would need to know the basic context, values and themes for each, since it is a study of texts and contexts! Same goes for Mod B: it is also helpful to know the basic context, themes, construction, content of each speech, potentially a critic response for each, if that's what you have already been doing. And don't forget to formulate some of your own thoughts/responses to each speech.

But, no matter how much you memorise, you need to practice, practice, practice! This way, you can feel more confident going into the exams, and a sneaky essay question won't catch you off-guard.
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

horse9996

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +11
Re: How to prepare for all prescribed texts
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 08:33:58 am »
+1
For Donne and W;t, the poems are one text as a whole rather than seperate individual texts. Therefore, I would aim to write on at least 2 in each of your Donne paragraphs. Although you will never need to write on all of them, having a range is better as it allows better comparisons to be made. You can also use Donne quotes to describe W;t
HSC 2018
Advanced English (88) | Maths Ext 1(47) | Chemistry (88) | Earth & Environmental Science (94 - 5th in state) | Geography (89)

ATAR 98.2