Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 10:26:33 am

Author Topic: 72% on my first SAC, will I still be able to get a 50?  (Read 5847 times)  Share 

gossipglamgirl

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2014
72% on my first SAC, will I still be able to get a 50?
« on: March 10, 2014, 04:42:39 pm »
+1
Not at all happy with my marks as I was averaging 90%+ in unit 1 & 2  :'(
I'm devastated!!
Health is one of the easier subjects and I want to do really well, I would love to hear some tips on how I can improve.
In addition, my teacher told me that for data analysis questions where it was asking for a trend, I was giving a 'statement'.  :-\ examples of trends maybe?
Thanks

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • What kind of shoes do ninjas wear? Sneakers.
  • Respect: +105
Re: 72% on my first SAC, will I still be able to get a 50?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 05:13:30 pm »
+2
I don't have HHD specific advice but just so you know, it's not your SAC mark that counts, it's your ranking. You may have scored 72% on your first SAC but if everybody else scored below you then you'd be best ranked person in your cohort so don't stress too much about grades and stuff since in the end your SAC grades are moderated by VCAA based on the end of year exam!

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +147
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 05:24:28 pm »
+1
Not at all happy with my marks as I was averaging 90%+ in unit 1 & 2  :'(
I'm devastated!!
Health is one of the easier subjects and I want to do really well, I would love to hear some tips on how I can improve.
In addition, my teacher told me that for data analysis questions where it was asking for a trend, I was giving a 'statement'.  :-\ examples of trends maybe?
Thanks

Hey :) Don't be devastated with your mark,  72% might not be 90% but just think about every mistake you make on a sac is one you will not make on the end of year exam. I know I mad numerous mistakes in my early sacs but you will improve and become better at answering questions, I'm sure :)
To improve my sacs I made sure that I read the question more than once and highlighted the key parts of the question eg include data and used all the practice questions that I could and gave them to my teacher to have a look at.
Before all my sacs I would also write up notes and get my teacher to have a look at them and she would always find things that I could fix up.

With trends an example may be the rate of DALYs from Type 2 diabetes increased from 4000 in 2003 to 10000 in 2013.

Also have a read through some of these resources if you havn't already
VCE Health and Human Development Resources

I hope this helps :) Good luck with your study :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 10:35:16 pm »
+2
Hi there!

As others have said, don't worry too much about your first SAC. You still have heaps of opportunities to do well in your remaining assessments, and then, of course, the exam! Don't give up on that 50!

I think an important aspect of trends to note is that they tend to occur over time. That is, for example, saying "men tend to have higher rates of obesity than women" is an observation, whereas "between 1990 and 2014, the rate of smoking in adult males has decreased" (I'm not actually sure if that is true or not, but it is immaterial) is a trend. It's even better (and highly preferable) if you use specific data from information that you are given. It is a data analysis, after all!

Best of luck and kind regards.  :)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 10:45:10 pm by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

joystar

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 08:14:26 pm »
+1
I was aiming for a 50 too, and I got 76% on the first sac :/ my average last year was about 96% and I'm devastated. 

We just have to try harder and get amazing in the sacs to come...

2014| H&HD [46]
2015| [   ]  English [ ] Further [ ] Biology [  ] Chemistry [  ] Physical Education [  ]
2016| Arts Science at Monash/Physiotherapy/??

Auralee

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 04:58:07 pm »
+1
You're only human, and we all make mistakes. Often when there are 'trend' questions there will be data in the form of a graph. What examiners/markers are looking for is how well you interpret that information and if you can use the data provided to you. Don't give up on the 50. I was talking to my Health teacher and she said that this year they have 'raised the bar' in this particular subject. Just remember that on last year's exam I think the A+ was about 78% (I could be wrong.)

Just keep positive, learn from your mistakes and ask your teachers for help if you need it. It also can be something as simple as not getting enough sleep, not eating well, not enough exercise, family or friend issues. Just remember that there may be some external factors impacting YOUR health - which is most important! Everyone gets bad grades, even the smart kids.

Be gentle on yourself.

walkec

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 09:04:05 pm »
+2
My class got our SAC back today too and my teacher had to explain what was meant by a trend because about 90% of the class got it wrong because we were taught it incorrectly last year.

For a trend, it is the change over time. You cannot pick one year from a graph if there are two pieces of data compare the rates of something (e.g. tobacco smoking for indigenous and non indigenous population). You have to look at the change over time instead.

The following would be incorrect (still using my tobacco smoking example):
"In 1991, Indigenous Australians had a higher rate of tobacco smoking than non Indigenous Australians". This would be incorrect because it is not showing the BIG PICTURE (or the change over time).

The following would be correct:
"Since 1991, the rates of tobacco smoking have decreased steadily for non Indigenous Australians"

Good luck. :)

gossipglamgirl

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 08:03:33 pm »
Thank you for the amazing tips everyone! :D
I have my second SAC coming up really soon and all this information is going to be really helpful!!
 :) <3 xx

juzza12

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 09:20:24 pm »
My class got our SAC back today too and my teacher had to explain what was meant by a trend because about 90% of the class got it wrong because we were taught it incorrectly last year.

For a trend, it is the change over time. You cannot pick one year from a graph if there are two pieces of data compare the rates of something (e.g. tobacco smoking for indigenous and non indigenous population). You have to look at the change over time instead.

The following would be incorrect (still using my tobacco smoking example):
"In 1991, Indigenous Australians had a higher rate of tobacco smoking than non Indigenous Australians". This would be incorrect because it is not showing the BIG PICTURE (or the change over time).

The following would be correct:
"Since 1991, the rates of tobacco smoking have decreased steadily for non Indigenous Australians"

Good luck. :)
Yeaaaaaaaaahhhhhh true dat health is a subject that require expansive knowledge from units 1,2. You realistically should be able to complete any health 1,2 practice exam paper and achieve 100%. 90% of students not knowing what a trend is indicates an extremely weak cohort. Honestly a study score of 50 raw in your position appears out of reach.
Cheers :) xoxoox
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 09:23:57 pm by juzza12 »

jfairoze

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 09:23:56 pm »
+1
I'm in a worse position than you, I too was planning on aiming for a 50 at the beginning of the year but it feels slightly out of reach now. Reading this thread has definitely made me feel better, guess i'll just have to try harder on the next sac! :) haha <3 xo

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 09:16:04 pm »
+3
Yeaaaaaaaaahhhhhh true dat health is a subject that require expansive knowledge from units 1,2. You realistically should be able to complete any health 1,2 practice exam paper and achieve 100%. 90% of students not knowing what a trend is indicates an extremely weak cohort. Honestly a study score of 50 raw in your position appears out of reach.

I don't necessarily disagree (because I'm not sure what 1/2 entails), but I'm not sure that an expansive knowledge of 1/2 is necessary, or even particularly beneficial.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 09:20:37 pm »
+3
Not only is this directed at the wrong person but it makes some extremely questionable inferences.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

walkec

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 06:27:39 pm »
+1

90% was an exaggeration. I also didn't like the tone of your post. I'd consider it to be quite rude more so than anything as I didn't actually ever indicate I was aiming for 50 raw. If you read my signature you would have realised that -.-

juzza12

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 08:09:52 pm »
Not only is this directed at the wrong person but it makes some extremely questionable inferences.

I'm interested to hear from an individual who I'm guessing has no knowledge in VCE Health and Human Development, what inferences you find questionable.

7equals7

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 08:16:48 pm »
+1

juzza12, why are you so negative. This community does not need your pessimistic views.