Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 02, 2024, 02:45:07 pm

Author Topic: Picking up physics unit 2?  (Read 1652 times)  Share 

BenjaminL_34

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Picking up physics unit 2?
« on: May 17, 2021, 06:37:05 pm »
Hi guys, next week we can request subject changes and I was thinking of doing physics unit 2. I have a few questions. Firstly have I missed a lot of work from unit 1 that will be assumed knowledge for 3&4? I have also heard that physics unit 3&4 is really hard, is it possible for an average student to do decent in it? I also wanted to know what the workload is like for physics (my other 3&4 subjects will be eng,further,chem and pe) and if the subject is interesting or boring? Thanks in advance for all the help!!! :)

mabajas76

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
Re: Picking up physics unit 2?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 09:40:35 am »
+2
Assuming u did year 10 physics stuff, lets see.... Looking at the study design, the only relevant bit u missed was the electricity stuff, the math it fairly just remember the formula and plug in, and the theory is easy, even an average student should be able to do this stuff fairly well (maybe look at it during holidays just as a lil advantage but the unit 3 electricity DOES go beyond the year 11 stuff so everyone will be learning new stuff, but knowing the basics won't hurt). The average student would get a raw SS of 30 in the subject by definition lol, but honestly it may depend on ur math. It isn't like, super insane algebra and stuff, but understanding the importance/reasoning that the equations have it pretty helpful and there are definitely some weird conceptual questions. Honestly, in terms of content u will cover Relativity (I think its SUPER interesting), motion (again some fun problem solving stuff but also some that is just plug in questions), electricity as mentioned, a practical which is done in unit 2 as well so don't stress aannnnnnd some stuff on fields like magnets and gravity and some waves/light stuff. So in summary, magnetism, electricity, relativity, motion/forces like gravity that involve fields, light and waves and a prac (some of those r grouped together). So yeah, not super easy, but not incredibility difficult. It is mostly new content for all the year 12's so with a bit of hard work, u can drive urself in an existential crisis about the universe just like any other physics student :)
"Don't give up, and don't put too much effort into things that don't matter"-Albert Einstein, probably.