Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 23, 2024, 03:23:11 am

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 210519 times)  Share 

Ahsun

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Patrician Brothers Blacktown
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: English Standard Question Thread: Ask Us Anything!
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2016, 06:33:47 pm »
This might be a little bit dumb but i am struggling in creating thesis and topic sentences in essays can someone help me or guide on how to write a thesis and topic sentence cause i just cant do it i do not know why
Thanks

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2016, 08:22:15 pm »
+1
This might be a little bit dumb but i am struggling in creating thesis and topic sentences in essays can someone help me or guide on how to write a thesis and topic sentence cause i just cant do it i do not know why
Thanks

Hey Ahsun! Definitely not dumb, that is probably the hardest bit of writing essays  ;D

So I can't give you a guide on writing a Thesis, because obviously it depends on the essay you want to write, but your Thesis is essentially the big message of your essay. If someone asked, "What's your essay about?," then your Thesis should more or less answer that. They are also, usually, highly conceptual and don't mention your texts (that comes later). For example, for the AoS, a Thesis could be:

Self discovery is a challenge to an individuals sense of self worth which can either be accepted or rejected.

Your topic sentences are similar, but they have to fall within the greater category of your Thesis. Besides that, the approach is similar! An example:

Individuals often reject opportunities for self development based on prior negative experiences of discovery.

This is its own concept, but it still fits within the greater concept of your Thesis.

In general, these sentences should be worded clearly (no super intricate wordplay), make no references to the text, and beyond everything, actually reflect what you want to discuss! Don't use some crazy conceptual statement because it sounds good then have no idea how to back it up. Think, "What do I want to say in this paragraph?",  and write that  :D

It may be worth checking out some sample essays in our Notes Section to see what an effective Thesis/topic sentence looks like!  ;D besides that, just try writing a few and get some feedback. Practice makes perfect after all  ;D

olivercutbill

• Forum Regular
  • Monetary Policy is... an art not a science
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2016, 09:38:46 pm »
+2
Hey just a question about the reading section in the hsc and how to prepare for it and do you figure out the techniques during reading time or after written area of study essay. Would the best study for it just lots of past reading papers. Thankyou :)

Apparently, (unfortunately I don't have the source here) paper 1 is designed to be done in order. This is because the level of understand and depth of knowledge increases as you progress through the paper. This being said, I'll always do section 1 first, and then based on the stimulus and the question, I'll do the harder one first.
2016 ATAR: 93.05

Ahsun

• Adventurer
  • School: Patrician Brothers Blacktown
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2016, 11:49:55 pm »
Can you use the same related text for aos and then one of your essays in the second paper?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2016, 11:54:18 pm »
Can you use the same related text for aos and then one of your essays in the second paper?

Hey! You definitely can! ;D

cherryred

• Adventurer
  • School: Cerdon College
« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2016, 08:28:32 am »
Hey,

I am studying the movie The Black Balloon by Elissa Down as my prescribed text for Mod C Exploring Interactions. I am however questioning my related text choice at this stage cause I have heard teachers say that students must not use the same medium for their related and prescribed text. Sadly, my related text is a movie too and I got 17/20 for the trials for it and not an 18 or 19. But any suggestions on potential related texts would be really appreciated!!!!! :)

THANK YOU!!!

kevin217

• Forum Regular
« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2016, 11:22:03 pm »
Hey,

I am studying the movie The Black Balloon by Elissa Down as my prescribed text for Mod C Exploring Interactions. I am however questioning my related text choice at this stage cause I have heard teachers say that students must not use the same medium for their related and prescribed text. Sadly, my related text is a movie too and I got 17/20 for the trials for it and not an 18 or 19. But any suggestions on potential related texts would be really appreciated!!!!! :)

THANK YOU!!!

I do Exploring Transitions so this may be a different circumstance entirely but I've decided to write about my related for AOS for Mod C as well. See if your related AOS is able to fit well and it could be an option. Or is this just a bad idea in general?

cherryred

• Adventurer
  • School: Cerdon College
« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2016, 03:53:23 pm »
Yeah, my AOS related does not work well with my Mod C prescribed text which is about an autistic teenager...

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2016, 02:49:27 pm »
+1
Hey,

THANK YOU!!!

I cannot find anywhere on the BOSTES website that cautions against this! There seems to be a lot of rumours about what your related text can and cannot do, and not a lot of evidence to say why. My feeling is that if it doesn't say it on the BOSTES website anywhere, then they can't fairly mark you down for it - especially if they haven't warned you! If anyone else has anything to suggest otherwise, I'd be keen to know! But essentially, I think you are absolutely fine continuing with your related text! Ignore little rumours and hear-say :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Daliaradosevic

• Adventurer
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2016, 07:13:06 pm »
This may sound a little stupid however i'm still confused as to whats the difference b/w the thesis and Introduction of an Essay and what goes first etc? :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2016, 07:21:50 pm »
+1
This may sound a little stupid however i'm still confused as to whats the difference b/w the thesis and Introduction of an Essay and what goes first etc? :)

Hey! Never has a stupid question been asked! ;D

So a Thesis and an Introduction are pretty interchangeable terms in some circumstances, but the idea I roll with is this. You need to start with a paragraph that sets up the main idea of your essay. That main idea is called your Thesis, and that paragraph is called your Introduction. Normally, you start your introduction with your Thesis! ;D that introduction paragraph should also introduce your texts, and list what your essay paragraphs will discuss ;D

Daliaradosevic

• Adventurer
« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2016, 07:26:54 pm »
Oh that makes that much more sense thanks! also just would like to know as a standard english student is it better of having a simple one-two sentence thesis or the so called double barreled one?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2016, 09:57:59 pm »
Oh that makes that much more sense thanks! also just would like to know as a standard english student is it better of having a simple one-two sentence thesis or the so called double barreled one?

No worries! Whichever works better for you to be honest, I'd advise no differently based on whether you are Standard or Advanced! ;D two sentence Thesis statements can add an extra level of sophistication, but they can also be a bit waffly/repetitious, so whichever you like! ;D

sanj123

• Adventurer
« Reply #88 on: October 06, 2016, 07:44:59 pm »
Distinctive voices is my module and my prescribed text is Komninos by the Kupful it has six poems so i was wondering when writing an essay should i just focus on two poems or do i embed other as well?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #89 on: October 06, 2016, 10:44:54 pm »
Distinctive voices is my module and my prescribed text is Komninos by the Kupful it has six poems so i was wondering when writing an essay should i just focus on two poems or do i embed other as well?

Typically with poems, you just need to focus on two! You have the option to bring in more if it suits, but I always went into my poetry studies with the intention of writing in depth about two poems :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!