Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 16, 2024, 03:39:34 pm

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 210110 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: English Standard Question Thread: Ask Us Anything!
« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2016, 11:34:52 pm »
Distinctive voices is my module and my prescribed text is Komninos by the Kupful it has six poems so i was wondering when writing an essay should i just focus on two poems or do i embed other as well?

Welcome to the forums sanj123! Let me know if you need help finding anything! ;D

sanj123

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2016, 08:59:07 am »
Typically with poems, you just need to focus on two! You have the option to bring in more if it suits, but I always went into my poetry studies with the intention of writing in depth about two poems :)
What is typical in depth response about two

sanj123

• Adventurer
« Reply #92 on: October 07, 2016, 09:08:55 am »
Hi,
Thank you for the welcome to this chat. One more thing for the discovery essay i have two related text and one paragraph on each should i keep it our just use one related text and 2 paragraphs on it.
Thank you

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #93 on: October 07, 2016, 09:34:39 am »
+1
What is typical in depth response about two

As in, focus on two for your paragraphs. Talk about them in focus. You can choose to only talk about two, or you can talk about two thoroughly and then support your argument with points from other poems if you feel like it would add to your response. But, there isn't any requirement that I know of in the Standard course that requires you to talk about all poems, but instead, just two or three in detail in an essay.

Hi,
Thank you for the welcome to this chat. One more thing for the discovery essay i have two related text and one paragraph on each should i keep it our just use one related text and 2 paragraphs on it.
Thank you

This is up to you - if you think you can sustain two powerful paragraphs about the one related text, then I'd be inclined to do this if it means your analysis is stronger. If you think your analysis will be better sustained with two related texts that are compared and contrasted, then by all means, use two related texts :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

cherryred

• Adventurer
  • School: Cerdon College
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2016, 09:40:38 am »
Hi,

Is there a chance that BOSTES can again ask students to use two related texts for aos discovery...?

Thank you :)

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #95 on: October 07, 2016, 09:53:23 am »
+1
Hi,

Is there a chance that BOSTES can again ask students to use two related texts for aos discovery...?

Thank you :)

There's always a chance since the syllabus leaves it open to being asked for 2 related texts, HOWEVER I think it would be seen as fairly cruel and the standard of writing would inevitably drop. Also the new English syllabus does not require related texts, so since BOSTES is moving that way, it would be unlikely (but obviously still possible) that they would ask for 2 related texts this year  :)

There was a discussion the forum a while back where people suggested using a text from the Unseen Texts section of Paper 1 if they needed a second related text for the essay, so that could be a good option if you don't have a second one prepared.
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

sanj123

• Adventurer
« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2016, 10:04:55 am »
This is up to you - if you think you can sustain two powerful paragraphs about the one related text, then I'd be inclined to do this if it means your analysis is stronger. If you think your analysis will be better sustained with two related texts that are compared and contrasted, then by all means, use two related texts :)

Soory but if it was to go in the hsc exam with two related and one paragraph on each and then in the exam said with one related what should i do

Nicki

• Trailblazer
  • hello
« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2016, 10:33:51 am »
hey!

i just was wondering for paper 2, what is the best strategy to go in with in regards to the order you write your essays in?
as in do you do the modules that you are more confident with first since that would most likely be done quicker where you could maybe have time for the module you aren't as confident in or would  you do the one your least confident with first to get it over with?

HSC 2016 Graduate
Subjects:
English Standard, Mathematics, Business Studies, Legal Studies, Economics, Community and Family Studies

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2016, 11:21:06 am »
+2
hey!

i just was wondering for paper 2, what is the best strategy to go in with in regards to the order you write your essays in?
as in do you do the modules that you are more confident with first since that would most likely be done quicker where you could maybe have time for the module you aren't as confident in or would  you do the one your least confident with first to get it over with?

Hey Nicki! I think it mostly comes down to personal preference as well as what the actual questions are on the day.
 I personally prefer to do my weakest essay first so I can just get it over with, and then finish with my strongest one. If you're more confident with an essay you're more likely to be able to write it faster and more coherently under pressure. So my plan would be to go in and do Mod A >> Mod B >> Mod C.
However for example if the question for Mod B looked particularly difficult and Mod A looked easy, I may switch the order a bit when I'm in the exam.   :) :)
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2016, 11:35:27 am »
Soory but if it was to go in the hsc exam with two related and one paragraph on each and then in the exam said with one related what should i do

Hey! If the question said for at least one related text, just use both! If it said with one related text, you'd unfortunately just have to pick your favourite and try and stretch it out to two paragraphs! :)

sanj123

• Adventurer
« Reply #100 on: October 07, 2016, 11:39:14 am »
Hey! If the question said for at least one related text, just use both! If it said with one related text, you'd unfortunately just have to pick your favourite and try and stretch it out to two paragraphs! :)
Hi,
so should i prepare another paragraph for one of the related then to be safe? :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #101 on: October 07, 2016, 12:03:53 pm »
Hi,
so should i prepare another paragraph for one of the related then to be safe? :)

Yep! That is probably the best course of action, if you have time! ;D

sanj123

• Adventurer
« Reply #102 on: October 07, 2016, 12:15:21 pm »
+1
Yep! That is probably the best course of action, if you have time! ;D
Thanks jamonwwindeyer, elysepopplewell and everyone else for clarifing my doubts. I would like to thank atar notes for creating this forum. :) :D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #103 on: October 07, 2016, 12:18:00 pm »
Thanks jamonwwindeyer, elysepopplewell and everyone else for clarifing my doubts. I would like to thank atar notes for creating this forum. :) :D

Happy to be of help!! ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #104 on: October 07, 2016, 12:22:50 pm »
Hi,

That seems to be the safest course of action in my perspective! For not a lot of effort, you could be guaranteeing serious marks for the prep of another paragraph :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!