Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 22, 2024, 09:47:56 pm

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 210515 times)  Share 

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
Re: English Standard Question Thread: Ask Us Anything!
« Reply #135 on: October 07, 2016, 07:41:59 pm »
+3
Wot.

I chose one related text, analysed it really really well (in that I bullshitted a hell of a lot of stuff) and used it in every single essay throughout the year. Take that, English. Boom
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #136 on: October 07, 2016, 07:42:52 pm »
I chose one related text, analysed it really really well (in that I bullshitted a hell of a lot of stuff) and used it in every single essay throughout the year. Take that, English. Boom
Wow Jake. Did not see that from you lel

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #137 on: October 07, 2016, 07:46:16 pm »
Wow Jake. Did not see that from you lel

You should read some of my essays. Literal bullshit on a page, using big words and complex themes. Teacher's frothed

BPunjabi

• Forum Obsessive
  • So... Hows life?
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #138 on: October 07, 2016, 07:46:46 pm »

Wow Respek  8)
Did HSC in 2016 and was first person to get 100. Aeronautical engineering for me now :P
  <-- CLICK ME

sarah.murphy

• Adventurer
« Reply #139 on: October 07, 2016, 07:55:43 pm »
Moreover, the use of the metaphor and colour symbolism, “I named it the cave because it’s so dark and brown” creates a depressing voice and tone, which in turn suggests Tom’s anger and anger at cruel world of his grandmother’s house. However the ‘cave’ serves as a physical and metaphorical escape of Tom’s current world and it’s realities. The responder comes to an understanding that an individual’s experience of transitioning isn’t always a positive and comfortable one but can be rather negative and can cause harm to the individual but will allow the individual to understand new ideas of themselves.

Please don't copy word for word but you can surely use some of it :) :) :)
Thank you!

levendibigd

• Adventurer
  • School: CBHS
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #140 on: October 07, 2016, 08:07:20 pm »
Hi there, these forums must be going crazy so I'll try keep it short! In the HSC discovery rubric it states "In their responses and compositions, students examine, question and reflect and speculate on: (a) the ways in which exploring the concept of discovering may broad and deepen their understanding of themselves and their world and (b) their own experiences of discovery". How can I incorporate these aspects of discovery in my essay? In what way do I do so? Could you please provide a short example? Thank you in advance!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #141 on: October 07, 2016, 08:14:51 pm »
+1
Hi there, these forums must be going crazy so I'll try keep it short! In the HSC discovery rubric it states "In their responses and compositions, students examine, question and reflect and speculate on: (a) the ways in which exploring the concept of discovering may broad and deepen their understanding of themselves and their world and (b) their own experiences of discovery". How can I incorporate these aspects of discovery in my essay? In what way do I do so? Could you please provide a short example? Thank you in advance!

Hey hey! They sure are, we love it ;) these are things that you can tie into either your Thesis statements or your Creative!

The first one lends well to a Thesis:

Discovery is massively beneficial to an individuals outlook of the world, as the broadening of perspectives grants enhanced understanding of themselves and their environment.

The second one, your own experiences of Discovery, could tie into a Creative! An essay will never ask you to address that specifically :) I hope that helps!!

karyn.mcdonald

• Adventurer
« Reply #142 on: October 08, 2016, 09:41:42 am »
Thankyou so much Jamon!! seriously helpful 8) :)

So are these ok for Topic sentences 1 and 3? - I personally don't really like 3 at all. :-\
Paragraph 1 Topic sentence: The harsh and isolated environment of Australia is a key element portrayed by distinctive images to convey its severe impact on the experience of individuals associated with it.
Paragraph 3 Topic Sentence: Human experiences are also influenced by human emotions, which emerge as consequence of hardship, in a way that impacts negatively on the individual. These emotions may include fear and anxiety, or indifference, and are presented effectively through visual representations.

Also, when you say REASON for distinctive images, what exactly do you mean? is it something I would incorporate into my body paragraphs or do I add it to my intro and conclusion?
Also #2, if I the question was something like last year's q: Distinctive images offer a variety of perspectives on the world or 2012's: Interesting views on society are conveyed by the distinctively visual, how could I adapt my structure and thesis to fit?

Thnx so much 4 all this! really appreciate it! ;)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #143 on: October 08, 2016, 11:02:38 am »
+1
Thankyou so much Jamon!! seriously helpful 8) :)

So are these ok for Topic sentences 1 and 3? - I personally don't really like 3 at all. :-\

Paragraph 1 Topic sentence: The harsh and isolated environment of Australia is a key element portrayed by distinctive images to convey its severe impact on the experience of individuals associated with it.
Yep this works well, but I'd expect you to clarify what you mean by severely. If you are attaching negative connotations, be specific with that, severe doesn't necessarily mean positive or negative!

Paragraph 3 Topic Sentence: Human experiences are also influenced by human emotions, which emerge as consequence of hardship, in a way that impacts negatively on the individual. These emotions may include fear and anxiety, or indifference, and are presented effectively through visual representations.

I actually like this a lot! I think the idea is great, perhaps the expression in the first bit could do with a polish, maybe:

The human experience is often influenced more by bad times than good, with emotions that emerge in difficult times impacting negatively on the individual.

Hmm, that wasn't perfect either, but you get what I mean! Just keep trying the same thing in different ways until you find one that you like!

Also, when you say REASON for distinctive images, what exactly do you mean? is it something I would incorporate into my body paragraphs or do I add it to my intro and conclusion?
Also #2, if I the question was something like last year's q: Distinctive images offer a variety of perspectives on the world or 2012's: Interesting views on society are conveyed by the distinctively visual, how could I adapt my structure and thesis to fit?

So when I say the REASON for them, I mean, what is the author trying to achieve? What are they trying to communicate? Why are they giving you that image in the first place, and why are they choosing to use an image to portray that idea? Every text is made with a purpose, and every technique is utilised (in this case to create a distinctive image) for a reason :)

Easy fixes for those questions:

2015: perspectives on the world -> perspectives on the Australian landscape
2012: interesting views on society -> interesting views on the Australian experience

You can see how I'm just redefining the key terms in my question to mean specific things, as suits me :) this is the approach you should take to adapting to any question! ;D

karyn.mcdonald

• Adventurer
« Reply #144 on: October 08, 2016, 12:36:43 pm »
wow! you're great Jamon! thnx a stack!! :) 8)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #145 on: October 08, 2016, 04:35:04 pm »
Hi, I would appreciate if someone could tell me the technique used in this scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui8Y0Pqlg_4 when the close up of his face is crosscut with him running into his parents arms. (i thought flashback but it didnt actually happen... epiphany?)

Hey cclarkeey! Welcome to the forums! Let me know if I can lend a hand finding things! ;D

I'd be saying things you've already said: Close ups to create empathy for the characters, rapid crosscuts to create a sense of drama, theres voiceover and non-diegetic sound at play as well. But I think you picked up the main ones!! :)

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #146 on: October 09, 2016, 12:25:48 pm »
Hi ! I do standard english and just wanted feedback on my module A essays, i wanted to know which essay/related text i should use for my exams will really appreciate your feedback !  :)
My new related text essay
https://docs.google.com/document/d/180XRy1YoHkKuYzX0LdMVQSxJHaRqja44i_lHK9HcIYs/edit?usp=sharing
My old related text essay
https://docs.google.com/document/d/17IWKvCfDSVj-o9sFLVAKK4v2OQ66nEtweKwVXbVt3CU/edit?usp=sharing

Hey! Just reposting the current rule for Essay marking :)

"Hi everyone! So exams are right around the corner, and unsurprisingly, there are a HEAP of people wanting feedback on essays/creatives. Given that demand is really high, it is only natural that we will need to increase the post requirement for the coming days, to make sure that our feedback remains of the highest possible quality. Thus, for all essays posted between now (this post) and this time next week, you will need 30 posts for every creative you would like marked. Note that this does not apply to things posted before this point, meaning no one is in post debt. It just means that creatives 'cost more' for the next week. We appreciate your understanding :)"

student123456

• Adventurer
  • School: Brigidine College Randwick
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #147 on: October 10, 2016, 11:19:07 am »
Yeah one related text... All im using

Which text?

BPunjabi

• Forum Obsessive
  • So... Hows life?
« Reply #148 on: October 10, 2016, 12:38:24 pm »
Which text?

For each module I am only doing one related.
Did HSC in 2016 and was first person to get 100. Aeronautical engineering for me now :P
  <-- CLICK ME

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #149 on: October 10, 2016, 05:03:53 pm »
Which text?

Welcome to the forums student123456!! Let me know if you need help finding things ;D