Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 16, 2024, 02:00:08 pm

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 210101 times)  Share 

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
Re: English Standard Question Thread
« Reply #180 on: February 24, 2017, 01:25:58 pm »
yes it will

Make one which fulfils the whole rubric

I mean like for example, If I were to do "Drover's Wife" and "The Loaded Dog" by  and my related text was the "" by Frederick McCubbin, because they both show an different perspective of the bushland of Australia. Is that necessary to do?

My intial plan was to do the Persistence of Memory instead because one I have studied it before in Visual Art and two, it fits well in the rubric holistically.
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #181 on: February 24, 2017, 08:28:09 pm »
I mean like for example, If I were to do "Drover's Wife" and "The Loaded Dog" by  and my related text was the "" by Frederick McCubbin, because they both show an different perspective of the bushland of Australia. Is that necessary to do?

My intial plan was to do the Persistence of Memory instead because one I have studied it before in Visual Art and two, it fits well in the rubric holistically.

You won't be prevented from a Band 6 because your related and your prescribed don't match in every regard. Contrasts often show the discovery rubric's diversity! You definitely could do two texts that focus on bushland Australia, but it's not necessary. Perhaps it will be easier for you to draw conclusions between the two because the subject matter (or setting) is the same, but it's definitely not necessary to achieve a Band 6. You could still achieve a Band 6 with a prescribed text in the Australian bushland, and a related text in the British Industrial Revolution. The setting doesn't mean so much as the types of discovery. I think some similarities in discoveries are important, just for your own linking purposes. So, my prescribed text had a planned discovery but my related text had an unplanned discovery. My prescribed text and my related text both explored changes in perspectives after the discovery. So, although the outcome is similar, the genesis is different. So I think finding some good similarities but also contrasts is important. I'd pull out the rubric, print it off twice, and highlight the aspects of the rubric that the prescribed text links well with, and then do the same with the related text. Even though they may have different experiences of each section of the rubric, this becomes the basis of your study notes. You can easily see this way which parts they match with and which parts they contrast with.

But, you definitely don't need texts that are conceptually or contextually the same in order to get a band 6 :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #182 on: February 25, 2017, 04:40:07 pm »
+1
You won't be prevented from a Band 6 because your related and your prescribed don't match in every regard. Contrasts often show the discovery rubric's diversity! You definitely could do two texts that focus on bushland Australia, but it's not necessary. Perhaps it will be easier for you to draw conclusions between the two because the subject matter (or setting) is the same, but it's definitely not necessary to achieve a Band 6. You could still achieve a Band 6 with a prescribed text in the Australian bushland, and a related text in the British Industrial Revolution. The setting doesn't mean so much as the types of discovery. I think some similarities in discoveries are important, just for your own linking purposes. So, my prescribed text had a planned discovery but my related text had an unplanned discovery. My prescribed text and my related text both explored changes in perspectives after the discovery. So, although the outcome is similar, the genesis is different. So I think finding some good similarities but also contrasts is important. I'd pull out the rubric, print it off twice, and highlight the aspects of the rubric that the prescribed text links well with, and then do the same with the related text. Even though they may have different experiences of each section of the rubric, this becomes the basis of your study notes. You can easily see this way which parts they match with and which parts they contrast with.

But, you definitely don't need texts that are conceptually or contextually the same in order to get a band 6 :)

I see! So glad that I don't need to stress about that :P I'm so use to writing on a related text that is completely opposite to what my pescribed is showing in terms of its process (planned,expected etc) and outcome (new world, attitudes)... when looking at discovery...
Thanks so much Elyse!! :)
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

t3jasw1

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #183 on: February 26, 2017, 07:25:10 pm »
i really need a related text for distinctively visual, we're doing Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. please help out!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #184 on: February 27, 2017, 07:46:25 pm »
i really need a related text for distinctively visual, we're doing Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. please help out!

Hey there! I don't know how these link with your text specifically, but here's a few that I've seen discussed around the forums:

-The Beatle's Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
-Film: The Mask
-The song and Videoclip for Wonderwall by Oasis
-Tennyson: The Lady of Shallot
-Wilfred Owen's Anthem for Doomed Youth (poem)
-Henry Simpson's Last song (poem)
-Amin Greder: The Island (picture book)

A quick google will give you some themes for each so you should be able to choose one you enjoy and fits well! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Kaan709

• Trailblazer
« Reply #185 on: February 27, 2017, 08:02:05 pm »
Hey, I'm wondering if I could still play devil's advocate with my essay question. Transitions may be experienced as chaotic or subtle, but lead to significant shifts in perspective and changes in relationships. Discuss which aspects of this statement are effectively conveyed in the given excerpt, the core text and one related text.  My idea's are that the transition is subject to the individual/other people's interpretation, and that's what determines their transformation "route". The ramifications are that the individual removes their repressed state of mind, and reflects 'more' objectively. Thus creating an infinite number of responses.

I have history with not answering the questions enough. Last year the teacher said I would have got an exemplar mark if answered the question  :'( :'(

biffi023

• Trailblazer
  • Kum Bah Yah
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #186 on: February 28, 2017, 09:55:31 pm »
can anyone explain this in 'normal' english for me?! :-\ Basically regardless of the texts I am being told to use, what is this question really asking for? It is so long-winded and I just can't get my head around it??
"You are to critically analyse the written text [a stimulus-type article] in relation to the ways in which intertextual connections between a pair of texts represents different social, cultural and historical contexts, and can influence the composer's choice of language forms and features and the ideas, values and attitudes conveyed in each text"  ???
Thanks!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #187 on: February 28, 2017, 10:11:35 pm »
+2
Hey, I'm wondering if I could still play devil's advocate with my essay question. Transitions may be experienced as chaotic or subtle, but lead to significant shifts in perspective and changes in relationships. Discuss which aspects of this statement are effectively conveyed in the given excerpt, the core text and one related text.  My idea's are that the transition is subject to the individual/other people's interpretation, and that's what determines their transformation "route". The ramifications are that the individual removes their repressed state of mind, and reflects 'more' objectively. Thus creating an infinite number of responses.

I have history with not answering the questions enough. Last year the teacher said I would have got an exemplar mark if answered the question  :'( :'(

Hey Kaan! It sounds like you are doing some really critical thinking - Awesome work! I would say you have addressed the transitions aspect of the question well, but how will you be addressing the perspectives and relationships aspects? Note you don't have to say they are present - You could say that Discoveries don't influence relationships if you want to! But the idea needs to be engrained in your Thesis. So you need to be specific about what you mean by 'response' and use that to hone in on perspectives and relationships, in my opinion :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #188 on: February 28, 2017, 10:23:26 pm »
+1
can anyone explain this in 'normal' english for me?! :-\ Basically regardless of the texts I am being told to use, what is this question really asking for? It is so long-winded and I just can't get my head around it??
"You are to critically analyse the written text [a stimulus-type article] in relation to the ways in which intertextual connections between a pair of texts represents different social, cultural and historical contexts, and can influence the composer's choice of language forms and features and the ideas, values and attitudes conveyed in each text"  ???
Thanks!

Hey! I'll do my best, to my interpretation the question is asking:

You are to critically analyse the written text in relation to the ways in which intertextual connections between a pair of texts represents different social, cultural and historical contexts, and can influence the composer's choice of language forms and features and the ideas, values and attitudes conveyed in each text

"You are to analyse the written text and talk about how the ways they treat similar themes in a different way represents differences about their composers/timeframes.

So in other words, you will have two texts that explore similar ideas, perhaps in very different ways. An easy example would be two speeches by two people, both running for Prime Minister. Same theme, different motives/approach. In your case, you are looking at two texts that are composed in their own context for different reasons.

However, they explore the same themes/ideas/content areas. So ultimately what the texts do is act as windows into their context. By comparing how the theme(s) are represented in the two texts, you get clues about the context. For example, look at the portrayal of terrorism in texts pre 2001, then compare it to the portrayal of texts today. HUGELY different, and that is because of contextual influences (in this case, the September 11 attacks, among other things). Texts act as windows to understanding the context they were composed in.

So, you are looking at how the differences in the way similar themes are treated in the two texts, represent differences in their context. You are also looking at how the composers use techniques to achieve these differences.

I hope that helps a little - This is a super sophisticated question, and since it contains context, it's also an Advanced English question I believe? I hope this helps you piece it together a little :)

biffi023

• Trailblazer
  • Kum Bah Yah
« Reply #189 on: February 28, 2017, 10:46:32 pm »
Thank you! yes that helps  :D
sorry, yes I realised I had posted in a 'Standard English' thread... I am new to this! ;)
The two texts are Looking for Richard (docu-drama) and Richard III (play), and the 'written text' is an article about Pacino's doc. I am also confused that I am then asked to write an essay response to the question; "All texts have a use-by date"?
So there seems to be a lot happening at once?
While on that note, do you mark essay drafts!?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #190 on: February 28, 2017, 11:04:49 pm »
+1
Thank you! yes that helps  :D
sorry, yes I realised I had posted in a 'Standard English' thread... I am new to this! ;)
The two texts are Looking for Richard (docu-drama) and Richard III (play), and the 'written text' is an article about Pacino's doc. I am also confused that I am then asked to write an essay response to the question; "All texts have a use-by date"?
So there seems to be a lot happening at once?
While on that note, do you mark essay drafts!?

Oh that's okay no worries at all! If you click on this link you'll find our English Advanced board, including another question thread just like this one for Advanced! ;D cool, sounds like a really standard assignment for Advanced Module A :)

All texts have a use by date is a common one - It is asking you to discuss whether texts can still be relevant beyond the context they were composed in. So, is Richard III still relevant to a modern audience? Can we still learn something from it? How about comparing it to Pacino? :)

We do mark essay drafts! You can post it here, but we do require you to have 15 posts on ATAR Notes per essay you'd like marked - So you'll need to hang around a bit and ask a few more questions while you finish the draft, so you've got 15 when you post it :)

biffi023

• Trailblazer
  • Kum Bah Yah
« Reply #191 on: February 28, 2017, 11:16:13 pm »
+1
Oh that's okay no worries at all! If you click on this link you'll find our English Advanced board, including another question thread just like this one for Advanced! ;D cool, sounds like a really standard assignment for Advanced Module A :)

All texts have a use by date is a common one - It is asking you to discuss whether texts can still be relevant beyond the context they were composed in. So, is Richard III still relevant to a modern audience? Can we still learn something from it? How about comparing it to Pacino? :)

We do mark essay drafts! You can post it here, but we do require you to have 15 posts on ATAR Notes per essay you'd like marked - So you'll need to hang around a bit and ask a few more questions while you finish the draft, so you've got 15 when you post it :)
OK! MT for your help ;D

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #192 on: March 03, 2017, 06:33:31 pm »
Hi All..
I am doing Robert Frost's poems as a prescribed text for area of study. However, i don't have a related text yet. What would be a good related text for Robert Frost's poems & oh btw i have a free choice of choosing 2 of his poems out of The Tuft of Flowers,Mending Wall, Home Burial, After Apple-Picking, Fire and Ice & Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening. So what 2 of his poems should i pick and what is a good related text for those 2 poems???
Thank You.
Hey! I didn't study these texts myself during the HSC, however I am working through these poems with a tutoring student right now. We haven't gone through all of the poems yet, but as of right now I believe that The Tuft of Flowers and Mending Wall are quite strong, and have a lot of thematic links that can be explored thoroughly. They also work well with the related text 'An Idiot Abroad' (I did study this related text during my own HSC - my notes on it can be found here https://atarnotes.com/note/aos-related-text-idiot-abroad/ :) ). Hope this helps!
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #193 on: March 04, 2017, 01:17:15 pm »
Hi All..
I am doing Robert Frost's poems as a prescribed text for area of study. However, i don't have a related text yet. What would be a good related text for Robert Frost's poems & oh btw i have a free choice of choosing 2 of his poems out of The Tuft of Flowers,Mending Wall, Home Burial, After Apple-Picking, Fire and Ice & Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening. So what 2 of his poems should i pick and what is a good related text for those 2 poems???
Thank You.

Hey Zahra! Welcome to the forums ;D

If you are looking for more ideas for a related text, you can check out this list! It is a list of over 50 ORT's that are effective for use in the Area of Study - including films, novels, poems and more. I didn't study Robert Frost, so I can't make any specific recommendations as to which poem, but hopefully that list is helpful! ;D

akovacevic

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #194 on: March 12, 2017, 06:53:30 pm »