Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 22, 2024, 02:18:20 pm

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 210464 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: English Standard Question Thread
« Reply #270 on: July 02, 2017, 04:06:22 pm »
Hi guys
I'm really struggling to study for paper one, does anyone have any exam techniques on what to do first? On creative, the essay or short answers?

Hey Yasmine, welcome to the forums! ;D

I'd say to maybe study for what you struggle with the most first! Your best will be to practice ;D

Here are a HEAP of resources that might help you along the way! ;D

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #271 on: July 05, 2017, 07:29:32 pm »
Hey, guys! I just did a practice essay for module A and realised that I JUST fit in 4 body paragraphs with a conclusion. However, I don't believe I can mimic this in exam conditions... If I were to go into the exam with 4 body paragraph plan and realise that in the middle of the essay writing, I can't fit it. How should I go about it? Especially if it is a two part question.
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #272 on: July 05, 2017, 09:03:36 pm »
Hey, guys! I just did a practice essay for module A and realised that I JUST fit in 4 body paragraphs with a conclusion. However, I don't believe I can mimic this in exam conditions... If I were to go into the exam with 4 body paragraph plan and realise that in the middle of the essay writing, I can't fit it. How should I go about it? Especially if it is a two part question.

Hey Dalvin! Is it possible to adapt your plan such that the fourth paragraph is optional? Meaning, use it on the day if you can, otherwise ditch it to no great loss? :)

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
« Reply #273 on: July 05, 2017, 10:40:35 pm »
Hey,Dalvin! Is it possible to adapt your plan such that the fourth paragraph is optional? Meaning, use it on the day if you can, otherwise ditch it to no great loss? :)

Yeah! :) I was thinking to maybe incorporate evidence of both that can demonstrate a contrasting point... If that makes sense. For e.g. Prescribed text shows that discoveries are only meaningful if they are personal and educational. But one paragraph, just on related showing how discoveries can also be meaningful through an exploration of another's discovery.
Or do you think there would be an imbalance?

And I am also struggling to approach my creative as preparation for paper 1... Is it best to memorise the creative as written? Then modify it during the exam really quick? Just do a quick plan.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 12:13:11 pm by DalvinT »
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #274 on: July 06, 2017, 10:37:35 pm »
+2
And I am also struggling to approach my creative as preparation for paper 1... Is it best to memorise the creative as written? Then modify it during the exam really quick? Just do a quick plan.

This was my technique, and I think possibly even the most popular technique for the creative! Memorising it and then adjusting it on the spot. The key is to recognise that you needn't just change the creative in one spot, but usually in several spots in order to show you've carefully and thoughtfully adjusted the work for the purpose of the creative. Memorising a creative and then not adjusting it enough in the exam is shooting yourself in the foot! So much time spent memorising - not enough time spent adjusting!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
« Reply #275 on: July 06, 2017, 10:43:53 pm »
This was my technique, and I think possibly even the most popular technique for the creative! Memorising it and then adjusting it on the spot. The key is to recognise that you needn't just change the creative in one spot, but usually in several spots in order to show you've carefully and thoughtfully adjusted the work for the purpose of the creative. Memorising a creative and then not adjusting it enough in the exam is shooting yourself in the foot! So much time spent memorising - not enough time spent adjusting!

YAY! Alright, I'll keep reading it over and over and writing a few times before practising the skill of adjusting it to the stimulus! :) Thanks, Elyse.
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92

t3jasw1

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #276 on: July 08, 2017, 05:06:58 pm »
trials are ever-closer than before, and i still have no idea how to start on my discovery essay. i have a few things i wanted to clarify.
1. do you have to find examples for EACH types of discovery in your texts? if yes, then how many examples per type of discovery?
2. how broad is a "broad" topic statement that you can go into the exam and tailor to the question? can you please give an example?
3. is it possible to memorise a discovery essay and then adapt it to the question during the exam?
4. how exactly do you figure out what you have to talk about in your body paragraphs?

i've been stuck with trying to write an essay for a few months now, no one's given me proper advise. hope someone can help!  :)

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
« Reply #277 on: July 09, 2017, 12:50:52 am »
Hey guys! It's me again lol... I'm going through some practice questions and I've noticed that this one is based on "Society"

Discoveries can affirm or challenge society’s assumptions and beliefs about aspects of human experience and the world.
How does this quote represent your own understanding of discovery?

How do we word our thesis statements/topic sentences to disagree do this statement?
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #278 on: July 09, 2017, 09:32:22 pm »
+1
trials are ever-closer than before, and i still have no idea how to start on my discovery essay. i have a few things i wanted to clarify.

Hey! I'd be happy to help ;D

1. do you have to find examples for EACH types of discovery in your texts? if yes, then how many examples per type of discovery?

Not necessarily, though preparing for each type is a good idea to make sure you can respond to any question. There's no magic number, just however many you think you'll need to respond to a question properly.

2. how broad is a "broad" topic statement that you can go into the exam and tailor to the question? can you please give an example?

You can sort of plan where the specifics of the question can go. Something like:

________ discoveries have a significant impact on the individual - This can be honed to a question by specifying a type of Discovery, and or what the specific impact on the individual will be. Lots of options!

3. is it possible to memorise a discovery essay and then adapt it to the question during the exam?

Yep - Here is a guide on it!

4. how exactly do you figure out what you have to talk about in your body paragraphs?

So in the introduction you will present your big idea responding to the question - This is your Thesis. You then divide this into smaller arguments, those are your body paragraphs. Here is a super simple example:

Thesis: Burgers are awesome!
Paragraph #1: Beef burgers are awesome!
Paragraph #2: Chicken burgers are awesome!
Paragraph #3: Veggie burgers are awesome!

I've taken my "Burgers are awesome" argument, and split it into more manageable topics - This is what you should do for your essay ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #279 on: July 09, 2017, 09:35:07 pm »
Hey guys! It's me again lol... I'm going through some practice questions and I've noticed that this one is based on "Society"

Discoveries can affirm or challenge society’s assumptions and beliefs about aspects of human experience and the world.
How does this quote represent your own understanding of discovery?

How do we word our thesis statements/topic sentences to disagree do this statement?

Hey Dalvin! By society's assumption, you can just define that as our collective audience response to the text. There is no reason the "society" bit of the question needs to impact how you treat it in any substantial way: Maybe just throw the words "societal view" into your Thesis somewhere ;D

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
« Reply #280 on: July 10, 2017, 10:12:48 pm »
+1
Hey Dalvin! By society's assumption, you can just define that as our collective audience response to the text. There is no reason the "society" bit of the question needs to impact how you treat it in any substantial way: Maybe just throw the words "societal view" into your Thesis somewhere ;D

Hey Jamon! I see!! :O Alrighty thanks so much!!
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #281 on: July 14, 2017, 08:04:21 pm »
hi! can anyone help me out with a related for exploring transitions? my prescribed text is billy elliot and my teacher is VERY picky with related texts like you wouldn't believe. thanks :)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #282 on: July 14, 2017, 10:18:43 pm »
hi! can anyone help me out with a related for exploring transitions? my prescribed text is billy elliot and my teacher is VERY picky with related texts like you wouldn't believe. thanks :)

One that pops to mind just on my background knowledge would be The Immigrant Chronicle by Peter Skrzynecki? It's a collection of poems written by a Polish-Australian migrant about his adapting to Australian culture, and it has a heap of resources around because it used to be a prescribed text for the AoS - Could be worth a look? ;D

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #283 on: July 14, 2017, 10:32:26 pm »
Hi!

Do you have to choose an ORT of a different type to your PT? E.g. PT is a collection of poems, could we choose a poem to analyse in terms of the module?

Thanks~   :)
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #284 on: July 14, 2017, 10:36:11 pm »
One that pops to mind just on my background knowledge would be The Immigrant Chronicle by Peter Skrzynecki? It's a collection of poems written by a Polish-Australian migrant about his adapting to Australian culture, and it has a heap of resources around because it used to be a prescribed text for the AoS - Could be worth a look? ;D

my friend asked about skrzynecki as a related text, and she was told to find another one because skrzynecki's stuff is apparently "overused." thank you anyway!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW