Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 22, 2024, 02:46:25 pm

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 210465 times)  Share 

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
Re: English Standard Question Thread
« Reply #300 on: July 17, 2017, 03:41:16 pm »
+4
Hi guys,
So I am currently studying Henry Lawson and have no idea where to start with analysis, but also was not very lucky when looking for notes on this concept. Some guidance would be much appreciated and I just really need help with analysing his texts.

Thanks in advance

Hi! Look out for imagery and third-person (allowing responders to empathise) in Henry Lawson. I personally am not studying that text but I flicked through the web :)

Hello!!!
I'm wondering if anyone can help me to avoid using personal pronouns???
I keep going to use 'we' in sentences such as; ' we can see from the image above that....'
but i have been told to avoid using it! What is another option???
Thanks

Adding on to the above, my favourite is "responders" :)

Hope this helps :D
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #301 on: July 17, 2017, 07:09:39 pm »
+1
Hello!!!
I'm wondering if anyone can help me to avoid using personal pronouns???
I keep going to use 'we' in sentences such as; ' we can see from the image above that....'
but i have been told to avoid using it! What is another option???
Thanks

Just adding some more options here!

-A contemporary reader of the work may interpret..
-A modern audience will likely accept this...
-As contemporaries of the work of Yeats....

:)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Jerylieiah

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #302 on: July 17, 2017, 11:06:56 pm »
Hey

Is it alright to change quotes a bit, for example, removing a phrase or modifying it slightly to make it shorter?

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #303 on: July 17, 2017, 11:08:47 pm »
+3
Hey

Is it alright to change quotes a bit, for example, removing a phrase or modifying it slightly to make it shorter?

I would usually replace the non-essential phrase/s with an ellipsis if the quote is just too long, not too sure about modifying it!
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #304 on: July 17, 2017, 11:18:22 pm »
+1
Hey

100% agree with above, don't modify but you can definitely exclude parts of it if you need to! You can also replace words like "it" with more descriptive words to make the quote make more sense, if necessary. Normally you'd use square brackets to do that if you need to.

EG - "What have you done with [the bike]?"

You shouldn't need this too often though :)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #305 on: July 18, 2017, 09:19:43 pm »
hi! i feel like all my questions are about related texts, they give me so much stress.

anyway, do you guys think it would be okay to use a prescribed text from another module? like i used an advanced text for distinctively visual. i did it without realising in one of my internals last term but the teacher i had was pretty lenient with texts and didn't say anything about it??

high key freaking out because trials are in less than two weeks thanks
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 09:33:09 pm by fantasticbeasts3 »
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #306 on: July 18, 2017, 09:25:35 pm »
+2
hi! i feel like all my questions are about related texts, they give me so much stress.

anyway, do you guys would it be okay to use a prescribed text from another module? like i used an advanced text for distinctively visual. i did it without realising in one of my internals last term but the teacher i had was pretty lenient with texts and didn't say anything about it??

high key freaking out because trials are in less than two weeks thanks

Laughing at high key hahaha
This link here addresses in the related text section that this is totally fine to do and you won't be disadvantaged in any way! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

lucyjayne

• Trailblazer
  • Sad backwards is das und das ist nicht gut
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #307 on: July 20, 2017, 03:08:02 pm »
Hello,

I was wondering if it is a bad idea to compare characters in texts to biblical characters. For example, comparing Pi, from life of Pi, to Job because of the testing that occurs on his journey. Or would it be better to just leave that alone? 
HSC 2017: Legal Studies, English (Standard), Modern History, Ancient History, Studies of Religion II, German Continuers.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #308 on: July 20, 2017, 03:11:08 pm »
+1
Hello,

I was wondering if it is a bad idea to compare characters in texts to biblical characters. For example, comparing Pi, from life of Pi, to Job because of the testing that occurs on his journey. Or would it be better to just leave that alone? 

Hey! I think that's a great call - "The character of Pi is a biblical allusion to Job, which resonates with Christian audiences to..."   - Very powerful technique to reference! ;D

Aussie1Italia2

• Trailblazer
« Reply #309 on: July 21, 2017, 11:15:03 am »
Hello!
I went to the Standard English Lecture. It was amazing! THank you for hosting it because I am honestly so glad I didn't have to go to an Adv. Lect. to get info/advice on essay writing and structuring etc.

Now I'm a bit confused for my module B. For my Close Study of a Text I am doing 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time'. And in the novel the protag. numbers his chapters with prime numbers would that be how the form displays a theme?

If that question makes sense.

Thank you!
HSC 2017:
English Standard
Mathematics
Biology
Chemistry
PDHPE
Italian Beginners

Hoping to do Neuroscience at Uni!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #310 on: July 21, 2017, 11:24:25 am »
Hello!
I went to the Standard English Lecture. It was amazing! THank you for hosting it because I am honestly so glad I didn't have to go to an Adv. Lect. to get info/advice on essay writing and structuring etc.

Now I'm a bit confused for my module B. For my Close Study of a Text I am doing 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time'. And in the novel the protag. numbers his chapters with prime numbers would that be how the form displays a theme?

If that question makes sense.

Thank you!

So glad you enjoyed the lecture!! We were really happy we got to put it on and it seems to have done really well, so hopefully it will stay as a permanent part of the timetable ;D

That is definitely a way to communicate something, about the character or a theme or something! I suppose it is up to you to figure out what those prime number labels represent, why has the composer put them there? ;D

Aussie1Italia2

• Trailblazer
« Reply #311 on: July 21, 2017, 11:40:37 am »
Ok; can I please have an explanation of the specific conventions of a novel. Because the English teachers I ask don't exactly explain it.

Thank you!!!
HSC 2017:
English Standard
Mathematics
Biology
Chemistry
PDHPE
Italian Beginners

Hoping to do Neuroscience at Uni!

blasonduo

• HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Schrodinger waved while Heisenberg didn't?
  • Respect: +356
« Reply #312 on: July 21, 2017, 12:16:17 pm »
Ok; can I please have an explanation of the specific conventions of a novel. Because the English teachers I ask don't exactly explain it.

Thank you!!!

Hello! This is also my set text; to understand the prime numbers, you need to understand the character of Christopher. Christopher is all about logic and order; and hence why he loves maths so much.

"The rule for working out prime numbers is really simple, but no one has ever worked out a simple formula for telling you whether a very big number is a prime number or what the next one will be. If a number is really, really big, it can take a computer years to work out whether it is a prime number."

A simple concept, that can be very complicated, which he then links to life; which he finds the most confusing.

"Prime numbers are what is left when you have taken all the patterns away. I think prime numbers are like life. They are very logical but you could never work out the rules, even if you spent all your time thinking about them."

So overall, the prime numbers represent christopher's character, his logical thinking on life which is contrasted by the complex rules of society.

But again, this is english, and could have multiple meanings! :)
2018: UNSW B science (physics)/B education

Kicking myself into gear

HSC Physics Topics 1 & 2 Exam!

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #313 on: July 21, 2017, 12:24:37 pm »
So anyone doing Robert Frost poertry for AOS, do you guys have any ideas for related text?
Trials are a week away and im still struggling with finding related material ughh
ATAR Goal 90

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #314 on: July 21, 2017, 12:25:52 pm »
So anyone doing Robert Frost poertry for AOS, do you guys have any ideas for related text?
Trials are a week away and im still struggling with finding related material ughh

Hey! Here's a list of suggested ORT's! :)