Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 22, 2024, 06:59:31 pm

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 210503 times)  Share 

JD99

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
Re: English Standard Question Thread
« Reply #315 on: July 21, 2017, 03:42:27 pm »
Hello...
Not sure if this question has been asked already, but... Is it alright/good/bad to use a quote at the beginning of an english essay, specifically a Discovery essay?

Thanks!

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #316 on: July 21, 2017, 03:51:49 pm »
+1
Hello...
Not sure if this question has been asked already, but... Is it alright/good/bad to use a quote at the beginning of an english essay, specifically a Discovery essay?

Thanks!

i've never done this, but i think people i know who have done this were told not to? that's just what i've heard, but i personally can't find it within myself to do it. it does depend on the quote though!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

limtou

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #317 on: July 21, 2017, 04:03:07 pm »
+3
Hello...

Thanks!

In the rubric, it does specify that "students examine, question, and reflect and speculate on..." so the essay should be based on your views, not someone else's. Starting off an essay with a quote will appear to the marker as though your understanding of discovery and of the texts are reliant on other's views, rather than one you have developed yourself. Having said that, using a quote to back up your argument should be fine and more preferable :)
How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives.

lucyjayne

• Trailblazer
  • Sad backwards is das und das ist nicht gut
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #318 on: July 21, 2017, 06:55:57 pm »
Hi,

I was just wondering if this would be a good thesis for module A or if it's too vague

"By using distinctively visual to represent different images of world events, composers are able to give audiences new insights and understandings into the experiences of individuals. This experience of meaningful images prompts audiences to reconsider what is known as they develop a more enriched worldview."

Thanks
HSC 2017: Legal Studies, English (Standard), Modern History, Ancient History, Studies of Religion II, German Continuers.

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #319 on: July 21, 2017, 07:49:36 pm »
+1
ATAR Goal 90

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #320 on: July 21, 2017, 10:51:05 pm »
+2
Hi,

I was just wondering if this would be a good thesis for module A or if it's too vague

"By using distinctively visual to represent different images of world events, composers are able to give audiences new insights and understandings into the experiences of individuals. This experience of meaningful images prompts audiences to reconsider what is known as they develop a more enriched worldview."

Thanks

Hey Lucy! I think right now it perhaps is a tad vague, it is quite general, world view  and world events could encompass lots. In saying that, this works well as a prepared Thesis, because you could adapt to a question really easily! ;D

erinford

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #321 on: July 22, 2017, 01:48:44 pm »
Hi!! I went to the lectures over the holidays and Emily (bless her soul) was talking about integrated paragraphs for English, I have never heard of it before and though I would give it a go because I am struggling to push past the 70% range with English and thought this might help to get me a few extra marks  :). Anyways for discovery we have a collection of poems, I'm not sure if I should state each poem as I quote it or if I should just state the authors with no specific reference to the name of the poem. I know the second is not very good because the marker doesn't know which poem it is from, but I feel like if I am bouncing back and forth between the poems it might get a bit confusing.

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #322 on: July 22, 2017, 03:00:19 pm »
Since discovery has only been examined for 2 years does anyone have an school trial questions or anything that we practise off

quick question
i think i remember my teacher saying that we should never mention the ORT in the introduction of an essay
is this true (my teacher often gives us misleading information which is why im double checking by asking you guys)

Mod Edit: Post merge :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 05:17:18 pm by jamonwindeyer »
ATAR Goal 90

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #323 on: July 22, 2017, 03:21:30 pm »
+1
Hi!! I went to the lectures over the holidays and Emily (bless her soul) was talking about integrated paragraphs for English, I have never heard of it before and though I would give it a go because I am struggling to push past the 70% range with English and thought this might help to get me a few extra marks  :). Anyways for discovery we have a collection of poems, I'm not sure if I should state each poem as I quote it or if I should just state the authors with no specific reference to the name of the poem. I know the second is not very good because the marker doesn't know which poem it is from, but I feel like if I am bouncing back and forth between the poems it might get a bit confusing.

integrated only works if you do it well - i personally don't do it because i do better with separated paragraphs. i would suggest handing up essays with integrated paragraphs so you can see how well you do with them :)

as for stating the poems as you quote, don't state the poem you're talking about every time you quote because i don't know if i was reading that i feel like i'd be reading the poem's title, rather than your actual essay. when you're in the middle of your paragraph and you want to introduce your next poem, state the title, and the marker will (most likely) assume you're going to continue talking about that same one. keep in mind the markers would have read a few of the texts already, and might know which poem you're talking about :)

hope this helps!

Since discovery has only been examined for 2 years does anyone have an school trial questions or anything that we practise off

try googling "thsc," they have many past papers on there from various schools :)

quick question
i think i remember my teacher saying that we should never mention the ORT in the introduction of an essay
is this true (my teacher often gives us misleading information which is why im double checking by asking you guys)

always mention your related in your introduction - you're going to be writing about it in your essay! if i'm not mistaken, many markers just read the introduction and skim through the rest until the conclusion so mention your related - that way they'll know you're going to write about it.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 03:23:12 pm by fantasticbeasts3 »
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #324 on: July 22, 2017, 03:41:22 pm »
integrated only works if you do it well - i personally don't do it because i do better with separated paragraphs. i would suggest handing up essays with integrated paragraphs so you can see how well you do with them :)

as for stating the poems as you quote, don't state the poem you're talking about every time you quote because i don't know if i was reading that i feel like i'd be reading the poem's title, rather than your actual essay. when you're in the middle of your paragraph and you want to introduce your next poem, state the title, and the marker will (most likely) assume you're going to continue talking about that same one. keep in mind the markers would have read a few of the texts already, and might know which poem you're talking about :)

hope this helps!

try googling "thsc," they have many past papers on there from various schools :)

always mention your related in your introduction - you're going to be writing about it in your essay! if i'm not mistaken, many markers just read the introduction and skim through the rest until the conclusion so mention your related - that way they'll know you're going to write about it.

omg that website thsc is amazing THANK YOUUUUUU
ATAR Goal 90

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #325 on: July 22, 2017, 06:22:45 pm »
hey
so see how the main character of a poem is called a persona
whats the main charcter of a picture book called
(im doing my aos essay and the red tree is my ort so im not what to refer to the main charcter as in my essay)
and also, what is a sophesticated way of saying picture book
PLS HELP
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 07:10:54 pm by Daniyahasan »
ATAR Goal 90

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #326 on: July 22, 2017, 07:00:54 pm »
Hey everyone,
Need opinions on how I should structure my essay for Discovery and Mod C (Exploring Transitions)

AOS: Away - Michael Gow
1st body: Coral (during process of discovery)
2nd body: Coral (after discovery)
3rd body: ORT (during process of discovery)
4th body: ORT (after discovery)
OR
1st body: Coral (before, during and after discovery)
2nd body: Gwen/Tom (before, during and after discovery)
3rd body: ORT (before, during and after discovery)
OR
1st body: Coral and ORT (during process)
2nd body: Coral and ORT (after)

Mod C: Billy Elliot
1st body: Billy (during transition)
2nd body: Billy (after transition)
3rd body: ORT (during transition)
4th body: ORT (after transition)
OR
1st body: Billy (before, during, after transition)
2nd body: Jackie (before, during, after transition)
3rd body: ORT (before, during, after transition)
OR
1st body: Billy/Jackie and ORT (before and during)
2nd body: Billy/Jackie and ORT (after)

2 paragraphs : 4 quotes each paragraph
3 paragraphs : 3 quotes each paragraph
4 paragraphs : 2 quotes each paragraph

I'm not really sure which structure I should pick for each topic!! Just worried about the time limit for each essay. Thank you ;D
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #327 on: July 22, 2017, 07:28:49 pm »
+3
hey
so see how the main character of a poem is called a persona
whats the main charcter of a picture book called
(im doing my aos essay and the red tree is my ort so im not what to refer to the main charcter as in my essay)
and also, what is a sophesticated way of saying picture book
PLS HELP

i'd just call them the protagonist. about a sophisticated way to reference a picture book, i don't think there's any - just call it a picture book. you don't have to mention the text type a lot in an essay so don't worry too much about that :)

Hey everyone,
Need opinions on how I should structure my essay for Discovery and Mod C (Exploring Transitions)

AOS: Away - Michael Gow
1st body: Coral (during process of discovery)
2nd body: Coral (after discovery)
3rd body: ORT (during process of discovery)
4th body: ORT (after discovery)
OR
1st body: Coral (before, during and after discovery)
2nd body: Gwen/Tom (before, during and after discovery)
3rd body: ORT (before, during and after discovery)
OR
1st body: Coral and ORT (during process)
2nd body: Coral and ORT (after)

Mod C: Billy Elliot
1st body: Billy (during transition)
2nd body: Billy (after transition)
3rd body: ORT (during transition)
4th body: ORT (after transition)
OR
1st body: Billy (before, during, after transition)
2nd body: Jackie (before, during, after transition)
3rd body: ORT (before, during, after transition)
OR
1st body: Billy/Jackie and ORT (before and during)
2nd body: Billy/Jackie and ORT (after)

2 paragraphs : 4 quotes each paragraph
3 paragraphs : 3 quotes each paragraph
4 paragraphs : 2 quotes each paragraph

I'm not really sure which structure I should pick for each topic!! Just worried about the time limit for each essay. Thank you ;D

hi! i don't know how qualified i am to tell you which structure's better but for me i always do the first structure for each module you mentioned, because there's a balance and it's easier not to leave details out. as for the time limit in an essay, here's a link for handwriting: https://atarnotes.com/handwriting-improving-speed-neatness-and-legibility/ if you don't finish your essay, a conclusion isn't always necessary (i've asked a few teachers on this :) )

JD99

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #328 on: July 23, 2017, 06:54:08 pm »
Awesome! Thanks for your help fantasticbeats3 and limtou!! very helpful thankyou :)

SwarnikaR

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #329 on: July 24, 2017, 08:59:23 pm »
Does anyone have any ideas for what i can use for my ORT for Billy Elliot
finding ort's is the hardest thing everrrrr