Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 22, 2024, 10:34:57 pm

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 210515 times)  Share 

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +20
Re: English Standard Question Thread
« Reply #345 on: July 25, 2017, 12:33:56 pm »
+1
How do you avoid retell for your related texts if you need them to understand the context. For example, 'Likewise, Spiegelman’s innovative use of zoomorphism creates a distinctive visual contrast between each group as the Jewish mice are being hunted by cat-like Germans elucidating exactly who is dominant of whom.' I feel like the marker won't understand my explanation without the retell but if I put it in I will be punished.
im no professional but what i do is i dont really retell what the text is about
i just tend to show how it relates or contrasts my prescribed text
and it works for me cos markers get really annoyed when we retell
so id say dont really bother about the plot just make sure you show how the prescribed text and the ort are similar or different in ways
hope that helped!
ATAR Goal 90

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #346 on: July 25, 2017, 03:13:37 pm »
+3
How do you avoid retell for your related texts if you need them to understand the context. For example, 'Likewise, Spiegelman’s innovative use of zoomorphism creates a distinctive visual contrast between each group as the Jewish mice are being hunted by cat-like Germans elucidating exactly who is dominant of whom.' I feel like the marker won't understand my explanation without the retell but if I put it in I will be punished.

Hey! The extra detail you've added there that you don't need is that the mice are being hunted, I'd just say "zoomorphism creates a distinct visual contrast between the Jewish mice and the cat-like Germans..." or something similar, you don't need to say what is happening ;D

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #347 on: July 26, 2017, 04:27:28 pm »
Can anyone find a technique for the second quote that will benefit my explanation? Furthermore, Herrick develops the world as an extended metaphor to reflect Billy's gradual transition emphasised in ‘I come here… to wash the world away.’  which is coupled with the employment of... portrayed in ‘(I) walked away into the fragile morning’ illustrating the challenges and uncertainties that Billy experienced while transitioning into new worlds compelling the reader to consider the risks entrenched in a connection with others.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 07:36:20 pm by elysepopplewell »

AyeJay

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #348 on: July 26, 2017, 05:48:08 pm »
Hi
I am using the poem 'Ariel' as a related text.
Is there a technique for the way 'shadows' is one word on a line by itself

'Black sweet blood mouthfuls,
Shadows.
Something else'

lucyjayne

• Trailblazer
  • Sad backwards is das und das ist nicht gut
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #349 on: July 26, 2017, 06:24:46 pm »
Hey,

So I was looking for related texts for Module C: Exploring transitions and I was wondering if the Film Juno would be sophisticated enough as a related text for The simple Gift? It has some of the same themes and I'm stuck on finding anything else...

Thanks  :)
HSC 2017: Legal Studies, English (Standard), Modern History, Ancient History, Studies of Religion II, German Continuers.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #350 on: July 26, 2017, 08:53:04 pm »
Hi
I am using the poem 'Ariel' as a related text.
Is there a technique for the way 'shadows' is one word on a line by itself

'Black sweet blood mouthfuls,
Shadows.
Something else'

When referencing this quote in your essay, will you be putting it in a 'block' quotation? Because the marker might not know that "Shadows." is on a separate line. You can say that the punctuation (comma after mouthfuls and the full stop after shadows) "isolates" the word, drawing the reader's attention to it.
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #351 on: July 26, 2017, 09:12:58 pm »
Hey,

So I was looking for related texts for Module C: Exploring transitions and I was wondering if the Film Juno would be sophisticated enough as a related text for The simple Gift? It has some of the same themes and I'm stuck on finding anything else...

Are you able to identify a decent number of techniques in the film? If so, I reckon it would work for you! Techniques are really the key ;D

AyeJay

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #352 on: July 27, 2017, 11:36:30 am »
When referencing this quote in your essay, will you be putting it in a 'block' quotation? Because the marker might not know that "Shadows." is on a separate line. You can say that the punctuation (comma after mouthfuls and the full stop after shadows) "isolates" the word, drawing the reader's attention to it.

No i wasn't going to put the whole block in....
unless i just include the line before it and use punctuation... then they can see the comma as well. yup i think i might do that.  Thx  :)

morning_sunshine

• Trailblazer
« Reply #353 on: July 27, 2017, 07:52:57 pm »
Hey guys

I am using Rosemary Dobson's poem 'Cock Crow' as a related material but would like some help with making some annotations. I have already got a few quotes but need a few more in order to use it well in my essay if that makes sense.

Thanks in advance

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #354 on: July 27, 2017, 08:12:11 pm »
+1
Hey,

YES! Juno is a brilliant text! And shows transitions not only in Juno but also in Vanessa! It really shows that transitions results in new ideas, shifts in attitudes and beliefs, etc.!
I was going to do it but then found a better one for Educating Rita :)
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #355 on: July 27, 2017, 08:48:52 pm »
hiii friends!

usually for an essay i do two paragraphs for each of my texts, and i was wondering how i should structure my essay for discovery? should i structure them so the first paragraph will be a 'before' and have the second paragraph as an after discovery kind of thing?

i hope this makes sense hahahah
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #356 on: July 28, 2017, 03:25:49 pm »
gooood day friends (not really i'm very stressed about everything)

i'm doing the play away for discovery, and when we studied it last year, my teacher said not to include dialogue as a technique because a play is dialogue... i'm trying to fish for techniques but dialogue is the only thing i can think of for one of my quotes 😂 should i not mention a quote as dialogue?
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #357 on: July 28, 2017, 03:49:26 pm »

i'm doing the play away for discovery, and when we studied it last year, my teacher said not to include dialogue as a technique because a play is dialogue... i'm trying to fish for techniques but dialogue is the only thing i can think of for one of my quotes 😂 should i not mention a quote as dialogue?

Hey! In a play, dialogue is probably not the most effective choice - You could use tone though, if it suits? :)

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #358 on: July 28, 2017, 04:24:28 pm »
+1

Hi!

I'm doing a play for Mod C, and my teacher told me that we should use stage directions as a technique :)
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

Jenny_trn

• Adventurer
« Reply #359 on: July 28, 2017, 10:24:31 pm »
For visual texts, is there a technique or word to describe how an author places an image on pages and then parts of the image would continue 'off the page'? I'm referring to the one in the attachment. I'm analysing this page and want to say that the supposed technique is indicative of its age as well as its years of interweaving with the local community..etc. I know i don't need it but I'm curious to see if there is something that describes that.
 ;D ;D ;D
P.S the text is 'Memorial' by Shaun Tan and Gary Crew for anyone curious !!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 11:01:12 pm by Jenny_trn »