Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 22, 2024, 03:08:05 pm

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 210465 times)  Share 

britt.jayne

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +16
Re: English Standard Question Thread
« Reply #375 on: July 31, 2017, 05:13:17 pm »
what is the technique in..
“In my house we give glory to self- respect, and hard work.”

THANKS SO MUCH!!!  ;D

JD99

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #376 on: July 31, 2017, 05:34:51 pm »
+1
 I knooww, very last minute but would someone be able to give me some tips on studying for the close study module? (we're doing Merchant of Venice)
They can pretty much ask about any aspect of the play, and I'm just wondering how am i supposed to come up with a thesis, and how to structure the essay...??

thanks!

JD99

• Forum Regular
« Reply #377 on: July 31, 2017, 06:00:18 pm »
what is the technique in..
“In my house we give glory to self- respect, and hard work.”

THANKS SO MUCH!!!  ;D

You could potentially use first person pronouns as a technique? 'my' and 'we'.... jst an idea!!

britt.jayne

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #378 on: July 31, 2017, 06:02:19 pm »
You could potentially use first person pronouns as a technique? 'my' and 'we'.... jst an idea!!

THANKS SO MUCH!!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #379 on: July 31, 2017, 06:18:59 pm »
+3
Hey,

I'm really struggling to prepare for paper 2, does any one have any suggestions of how this is done? My texts are Shoe-horn sonata (RT Maus) , curious incident... and the simple gift (RT Book thief). I'm kinda reluctant to prepare too much because I did this today and it was the essay question was completely different to what I had prepared for and honestly I just hate english so much and idk why they think exams are a good idea ever but especially for english.

Thanks

Hey! I know Paper 1 today was brutal for a lot of people, but chin up! If you do the right things and stay positive you can absolutely bring it around for Paper 2 ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #380 on: July 31, 2017, 06:20:24 pm »
+2
How likely is Paper two going to ask a question on a specific key idea or poem or scene (for any modules in general)?

Hey! It is unlikely, but very much possible - They've done specific questions like these before, you need to know your texts well enough that you can answer them (which means knowing all your poems if there are multiple, for example) :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #381 on: July 31, 2017, 06:22:34 pm »
+2
I knooww, very last minute but would someone be able to give me some tips on studying for the close study module? (we're doing Merchant of Venice)
They can pretty much ask about any aspect of the play, and I'm just wondering how am i supposed to come up with a thesis, and how to structure the essay...??
thanks!

Hey! With time short, do two things:

1. Memorise a bunch of quotes covering different themes and different aspects of your texts.
2. Do dot point essays for a heap of practice questions (here is a bunch) to practice fitting those quotes to the question.

As for structure, the simplest is probably just one theme per paragraph! ;D

Andrea Godoy

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #382 on: July 31, 2017, 06:28:37 pm »
Are there any notes for the Persistence of Memory for distinctively visual. I have some but I'm not that confident as my teacher didn't help me with it. My essay is tomorrow and I have not idea what to do.

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #383 on: July 31, 2017, 06:40:25 pm »
+3
Are there any notes for the Persistence of Memory for distinctively visual. I have some but I'm not that confident as my teacher didn't help me with it. My essay is tomorrow and I have not idea what to do.

nooo sorry :-( seems like a pretty rare text. if you don't know what to do, bullshit everything - you'll get some marks from that. make an essay plan, do as much as possible. i know procrastinating and giving up seems ideal right now but we don't have long to go!! good luck
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

JD99

• Forum Regular
« Reply #384 on: July 31, 2017, 08:40:50 pm »
THANKS SO MUCH!!

No problems! :)
glad to help a fellow night-before-trial-person in need! :D

JD99

• Forum Regular
« Reply #385 on: July 31, 2017, 08:42:25 pm »
Hey! With time short, do two things:

1. Memorise a bunch of quotes covering different themes and different aspects of your texts.
2. Do dot point essays for a heap of practice questions (here is a bunch) to practice fitting those quotes to the question.

As for structure, the simplest is probably just one theme per paragraph! ;D

You. Are. A. Legend. Thank you Jamon!!!!!! :) :) :)

lucyjayne

• Trailblazer
  • Sad backwards is das und das ist nicht gut
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #386 on: July 31, 2017, 09:45:08 pm »
Hey,
I was just wondering if we have to censor our quotes. Like with a quote from Curious Incident of the dog in the night time that says what the f*** are you doing with my dog?
HSC 2017: Legal Studies, English (Standard), Modern History, Ancient History, Studies of Religion II, German Continuers.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #387 on: July 31, 2017, 09:47:06 pm »
+1

Hey,
I was just wondering if we have to censor our quotes. Like with a quote from Curious Incident of the dog in the night time that says what the f*** are you doing with my dog?

Hey! Nope, if your text uses profanity, that's actually a technique! So keep it in (and perhaps discuss its use)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #388 on: July 31, 2017, 09:48:02 pm »
+1
Hey,

nope, not at all. billy elliot is full of swearing left and right and i got a huge tick when i quoted "he did it! he fucking did it!" 😂 use this as your chance to swear in essays hahahah
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

lucyjayne

• Trailblazer
  • Sad backwards is das und das ist nicht gut
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #389 on: July 31, 2017, 09:48:34 pm »
Hey! Nope, if your text uses profanity, that's actually a technique! So keep it in (and perhaps discuss its use)

My Christian school is going to love that haha.  Just doesn't feel right. Thanks.
HSC 2017: Legal Studies, English (Standard), Modern History, Ancient History, Studies of Religion II, German Continuers.