Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 01:14:24 am

Author Topic: Monash General Chat  (Read 1424014 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Monash General Chat
« Reply #4965 on: October 31, 2016, 02:39:43 pm »
+1
Thank you. Yeh, I think I'm just nervous for nothing because this is a new thing for me.

Naturally. :) If you're particularly nervous, you could try ringing the university or asking in the Ask Monash University thread.

But yeah, I'm sure it'll be fine. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

power4

• Non-Student
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4966 on: October 31, 2016, 04:58:34 pm »
+2
Hi. I just applied for special consideration for an exam this evening. My writing left hand has terrible eczema which is infected and constantly has a burning feeling, and feels even worse when I write. I got a medical certificate and took photos of the condition and submitted it all online. I'm scared they will reject it and I will then fail as I've never made a special consideration application for any exam or assessment ever so have no idea how this works. Should my application be ok? Thanks.

Don't worry! all it has to be a legitimate situation with legitimate medical certificate(both of which yours are). So you'll be fine. :)
Monash University

Ask Monash University

• Official Representative of Monash University
  • Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Monash University
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #4967 on: November 03, 2016, 12:14:55 pm »
Hi. I just applied for special consideration for an exam this evening. My writing left hand has terrible eczema which is infected and constantly has a burning feeling, and feels even worse when I write. I got a medical certificate and took photos of the condition and submitted it all online. I'm scared they will reject it and I will then fail as I've never made a special consideration application for any exam or assessment ever so have no idea how this works. Should my application be ok? Thanks.

Hi chasej, sorry to hear that you're unwell. Yes, what you did on applying  for special consideration as soon as possible using your medical certificate for proof is the right way to go about this. More details on this process can be found here: http://www.monash.edu/exams/changes/special-consideration Hope the information helps.
Monash University ATAR Notes team. For more information about Monash and our courses visit study.monash

achre

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +72
« Reply #4968 on: November 04, 2016, 12:14:26 am »
How do you bump an email to a lecturer? I emailed a staff member I've never spoken to before about possibly waiving a prerequisite for a unit for my convenience (I've completed 7 out of the 8 prereqs for International Law and need to do that in semester 1 so I can do International Law of the Sea II in semester 2), and that was three weeks ago. In fairness, I sent it on a saturday, so I'm thinking they either completely missed it, or they saw it while going through their post-weekend inbox and forgot to reply to it and now it's buried under however many other emails they've recieved.

lol what's a non-adversarial sounding way of writing "just checking to see if you've had a chance to consider my request?"

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #4969 on: November 04, 2016, 12:21:48 am »
How do you bump an email to a lecturer? I emailed a staff member I've never spoken to before about possibly waiving a prerequisite for a unit for my convenience (I've completed 7 out of the 8 prereqs for International Law and need to do that in semester 1 so I can do International Law of the Sea II in semester 2), and that was three weeks ago. In fairness, I sent it on a saturday, so I'm thinking they either completely missed it, or they saw it while going through their post-weekend inbox and forgot to reply to it and now it's buried under however many other emails they've recieved.

lol what's a non-adversarial sounding way of writing "just checking to see if you've had a chance to consider my request?"

I would honestly just write that. :P If they're an arse about it, there's no way you could've bumped the e-mail without them being snippy.

xsector

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4970 on: November 04, 2016, 02:39:17 pm »
What's the social life like on the parkville campus?
I would like to do pharmacy, but there seems to be a very limited number of students / clubs at the parkville campus.
If anyone is currently studying pharmaceutical/pharmacy could you please offer insight

thanks

Ask Monash University

• Official Representative of Monash University
  • Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Monash University
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #4971 on: November 10, 2016, 02:24:14 pm »
+1
What's the social life like on the parkville campus?
I would like to do pharmacy, but there seems to be a very limited number of students / clubs at the parkville campus.
If anyone is currently studying pharmaceutical/pharmacy could you please offer insight

thanks

Hi xsector

We hope some of our student colleagues will add their ideas to ours but I'm sure we will all agree that it's a great campus! It has an amazing sense of community and you'll definitely get to know your classmates. The clubs on campus offer loads of social events like balls, cruises and networking opportunities plus there is group fitness and a great common room on campus. The biggest plus is that we're just minutes from everything Melbourne city has to offer yet you'll also have access to the other Monash campuses and activities like SummerFest. You can join us on Facebook to keep up to date too: https://www.facebook.com/MonashParkvilleStudentUnion/
Monash University ATAR Notes team. For more information about Monash and our courses visit study.monash

miaow

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #4972 on: November 14, 2016, 08:24:14 pm »
Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me understand the special consideration policy for exams? I've just come down with a really awful flu, I can't even stand up and its been really terrible. It also seems really contagious, of the five people I've been around in the past 48 hours they've all now got it too. I have an exam at 9:30 Wednesday morning and I'm really worried I won't be anywhere near well enough to sit it properly. Also, even if I could, I don't want to go out and infect everyone else around me seeing as it seems so contagious? Definitely sure I could get a doctors certificate because I am that ill. But will a doctors certificate definitely hold up? Because if theres a chance that it won't and I'd fail the unit, I'd rather rock up, struggle through, and try to scrape the pass.

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #4973 on: November 14, 2016, 08:43:19 pm »
+2
Monash is a lot more reasonable about this stuff than VCAA - I've never heard of ANYONE who got a med cert and WASN'T given a deferred exam. I reckon you'll be fine.

miaow

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #4974 on: November 14, 2016, 09:05:02 pm »
Monash is a lot more reasonable about this stuff than VCAA - I've never heard of ANYONE who got a med cert and WASN'T given a deferred exam. I reckon you'll be fine.

Thanks so much!

anna.xo

• No exam discussion
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +47
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #4975 on: November 18, 2016, 06:05:04 pm »
Hey all, does anyone have any experience with collusion and its consequences?
2014: VCE
2015: Bachelor of Nutrition Science @ Monash University

extremeftw

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #4976 on: November 19, 2016, 03:22:26 am »

I imagine the consequences for collusion would vary dramatically since what actually constitutes 'collusion' ranges from naive sharing of work amongst students, to outright malicious cooperation done for the specific purpose of cheating.

Why do you ask?

Litigator

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #4977 on: November 19, 2016, 09:26:34 am »

Collusion is really hard to follow up upon if two people help each other to create two distinguishable assignments. However, its consequences could be pretty harsh. I only got warned once during a lecture in which the lecturer nearly called out by name two students who handed in identical essays.. word by word.
vce
monash arts/business
rmit accounting/finance

anna.xo

• No exam discussion
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +47
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #4978 on: November 19, 2016, 06:52:44 pm »
I imagine the consequences for collusion would vary dramatically since what actually constitutes 'collusion' ranges from naive sharing of work amongst students, to outright malicious cooperation done for the specific purpose of cheating.

Why do you ask?

Collusion is really hard to follow up upon if two people help each other to create two distinguishable assignments. However, its consequences could be pretty harsh. I only got warned once during a lecture in which the lecturer nearly called out by name two students who handed in identical essays.. word by word.

I've been accused of collusion on an assignment. The marker has said that she has evidence including that we both made the same analysis errors and multiple similar comments. I have looked through both pieces of work and I honestly don't believe they have sufficient grounds to accuse. We have a meeting to discuss my collusion. Is there anything that I can do to prove that I haven't colluded ?
2014: VCE
2015: Bachelor of Nutrition Science @ Monash University

extremeftw

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #4979 on: November 20, 2016, 01:21:43 pm »
I've been accused of collusion on an assignment. The marker has said that she has evidence including that we both made the same analysis errors and multiple similar comments. I have looked through both pieces of work and I honestly don't believe they have sufficient grounds to accuse. We have a meeting to discuss my collusion. Is there anything that I can do to prove that I haven't colluded ?

That's a very unfortunate situation, sorry that you have to go through it!

Proving a negative is difficult. The best thing is simply to keep to the truth; this ensures that your story is constant, your arguments are reasonable, and you have the best chance of coming out on top.

Did you actually work with this student at all? If you did, and they believe there are similarities, then I think your best bet would be to explain away any potential similarities as unconscious and unintentional (it is entirely reasonable that after discussing an assignment with another person that you could conceivably have some similar lines of reasoning). As long as it wasn't malicious or on purpose, you should be fine!