Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 09:47:48 am

Author Topic: International studies or philosophy?  (Read 1884 times)  Share 

fossil

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
International studies or philosophy?
« on: January 17, 2011, 01:02:08 pm »
Hi all

I am unsure whether to start a first year sequence in international studies or philosophy. I only have room to pick one...

Does anyone have any advice or experience with the two subjects at Monash?

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
Re: International studies or philosophy?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 05:59:05 pm »
Not at Monash, but here is what I think:

If you have a natural inclination towards questioning assumptions, particularly political assumptions, you will probably get frustrated with international studies at some point. This is pretty much what happened to me. I took political science in my first year of university (there is a lot of overlap between political science and international studies) and found it dreadful, it only really reinforced dominant views of neo-liberalism or was outright Marxist. I wrote in one of my essays something to the effect of 'if you assume that democracy is a desirable goal, then X follows'. Written in red on my essay was 'in political science, we don't make assumptions.' Which, isn't true at all. I mean, the existence of the nation-state is an assumption (granted, they do question it, but in the end they still take it for granted) you could even argue that our very existence is an assumption. In life, you have to assume a lot of things and in political science you evaluate political systems by assuming certain values, you can justify the assumption but that doesn't mean you have some claim to truth. That's life. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't do it, but it is something to consider.

On the other hand, if you have problems with thinking about assumptions too much (to the extent that you aren't sure whether you exist and that depresses/worries you), then philosophy is not the way to go. There is a reason why all of those existentialists killed themselves and it probably only in part has to do with mental illness. Philosophy can be quite emotionally difficult at times unless you can effectively compartmentalise it. Additionally, if you think questioning assumptions is absurd (for instance, if you think asking 'why is a pen a pen?' frustrating, weird and pointless) then you also probably don't belong in a philosophy class.

In essence, I would base the answer on your disposition. Both are important disciplines and both can be very interesting.

Ghost!

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Year 12, What up.
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 06:48:09 pm »
What Eriny said on Philosophy is exactly right. If you are likely to get frustrated and kick back against work that you think is stupid and unnecessary, then Philosophy isn't for you.
2011 - English, English Language, Philosophy, Indonesian SL, Outdoor and Environmental Studies.

“We are all alone, born alone, die alone, we shall all someday look back on our lives and see that, in spite of our company, we were alone the whole way. I do not say lonely -- at least, not all the time -- but essentially, and finally, alone. This is what makes your self-respect so important, and I don't see how you can respect yourself if you must look in the hearts and minds of others for your happiness.”
― Hunter S. Thompson

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 01:54:42 am »
I did the two introductory subjects to a major in international studies (they were called Contemporary Worlds I and II). What would you like to know?

I was initially going to do a minor in int studies but was personally put off by those 2 subjects. I guess it depends on what exactly your definition of international studies is. Semester 1 was basically a course in 20th century history. Semester 2 was less history-heavy, but still quite a bit. As someone who finds history after the medieval times quite boring, it was definitely not for me.

However, if you can get through those 2, there are really interesting later-year electives you can choose like "The ethics of global conflict" and "Terrorism and violence in global politics" (http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/handbooks/aos/ug-international-studies.html).

I also have a friend who's majoring in philosophy and he really enjoys it. I read through some of his notes for one of his subjects - I think it was philosophy of religion or something - and even though I don't have the intellectual capacity to understand philosophy I still found it really interesting. Also you apparently get to do fun stuff like the philosophy of sex, so :P
edit: philosophy electives http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/handbooks/aos/ug-philosophy.html
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]