Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 16, 2024, 08:05:09 am

Author Topic: HSC Biology Question Thread  (Read 348976 times)  Share 

Annie657

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +8
Re: Biology Question Thread
« Reply #780 on: September 27, 2017, 02:14:20 pm »
Hi,
So I just have a quick question for action potentials in communication,
Do the sodium channels open as soon as stimulus is detected to begin depolarisation? Also, is it ok to say -50mv for the threshold p, not -55,v?
2017 HSC: Adv English | Mathematics | Maths Ext 1 | Chemistry | Biology | Geography |

2018-2022: MBBS at Western Sydney University :)

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #781 on: September 27, 2017, 02:17:38 pm »
Hi,
Do the sodium channels open as soon as stimulus is detected to begin depolarisation? Also, is it ok to say -50mv for the threshold p, not -55,v?

i think you'll be safer saying -55v
ATAR Goal 90

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #782 on: September 27, 2017, 02:43:14 pm »
+3
Hi,

Yep stimulus opens voltage-gated sodium ion channels which causes them to rush in. However, if the stimulus is too weak it doesn't open enough so it doesn't depolarise enough to reach an action potential.

Threshold is anywhere between -50 and -60 mV but best to use -55 mV.

Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.
Send me a message if interested!

2016 HSC (Accelerated):
// 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //

2017 HSC:
// English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //

Goal: 99.9

Annie657

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #783 on: September 27, 2017, 03:01:14 pm »
Yep stimulus opens voltage-gated sodium ion channels which causes them to rush in. However, if the stimulus is too weak it doesn't open enough so it doesn't depolarise enough to reach an action potential.

Threshold is anywhere between -50 and -60 mV but best to use -55 mV.

Thankyou so much! Makes sense now :)
2017 HSC: Adv English | Mathematics | Maths Ext 1 | Chemistry | Biology | Geography |

2018-2022: MBBS at Western Sydney University :)

Becky234

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #784 on: September 27, 2017, 03:36:09 pm »
Hey, Guys
Does anyone understand what refraction of light has to do with myopia and hyperopia

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
« Reply #785 on: September 27, 2017, 03:39:41 pm »
+2
Hey, Guys
Does anyone understand what refraction of light has to do with myopia and hyperopia

Myopia is shortsightedness that can result from an eyeball being too long or the lens/cornea's refractive power isn't correct. Refraction relates because the parallel rays are refracted TOO MUCH so the light converges IN FRONT of the retina, meaning distant objects are blurred.

Hyperopia is longsightedness that can result from an eyeball being too short or the lens/cornea's refractive power isn't correct. Refraction relates because the diverging rays are refracted TOO LITTLE so the light converges AFTER the retina, meaning close objects are blurred.

2016 HSC (Accelerated):

2017 HSC:

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #786 on: September 27, 2017, 03:40:27 pm »
Hey, Guys
myopia (short sightedness) – close objects can be seen clearly but distant objects (more than about 5 meters away) appear blurred and out of focus
   A common cause is the eyeball being too long
   This makes the image position to not lie on the retina, but in front of it

Hyperopia (long sightedness) – distant objects can be see clearly, but close objects appear blurred and out of focus
   A common cause is the lens using its flexibility
   So that it is unable to become thick enough to clearly focus images of objects which are close
   Another cause is the eyeball being too short
   This makes the focus position to lie behind the retina

ATAR Goal 90

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #787 on: September 27, 2017, 04:59:53 pm »
Hi, the biology syllabus printed for us by our teacher has extra parts to the syllabus that I can't seem to find any notes on and a lot of people just seem to ignore, so I'm a bit confused by this. What I can't find is
  • Outline the role of rhodopsin in rods and cones
  • describe rods as containing a form of rhodopsin that is sensitive to blue green light
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #788 on: September 27, 2017, 05:06:39 pm »
+4
Hi, the biology syllabus printed for us by our teacher has extra parts to the syllabus that I can't seem to find any notes on and a lot of people just seem to ignore, so I'm a bit confused by this. What I can't find is
  • describe rods as containing a form of rhodopsin that is sensitive to blue green light

Hi!

- Cones don't contain rhodopsin; they contain iodopsin. They are the type of photoreceptor cells that are sensitive to colour
        - Blue = 455 nm (Short wavelength)
        - Green = 530nm (Medium wavelength)
        - Red = 625 (Long wavelength)
        - Wavelengths either side of these values can stimulate more than one Iodopsin type to create secondary colours (Magenta: Blue/Red, Cyan: Green/Blue, Yellow: Red, Green)
        - The brain can perceive colours and shades depending on the number and combination of iodopsins stimulated

Hope this helps
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #789 on: September 27, 2017, 05:08:22 pm »
i just looked at the syllabus and i agree i dont really see those dotpoints (iv linked the syllabus below if you wanna look again)
https://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/biology-st6-syl.pdf
BUT maybe your teacher just wants you guys to have extra understanding of the topic or it may be an old syllabus...
ATAR Goal 90

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #790 on: September 27, 2017, 05:10:01 pm »
Hi!

- Cones don't contain rhodopsin; they contain iodopsin. They are the type of photoreceptor cells that are sensitive to colour
        - Blue = 455 nm (Short wavelength)
        - Green = 530nm (Medium wavelength)
        - Red = 625 (Long wavelength)
        - Wavelengths either side of these values can stimulate more than one Iodopsin type to create secondary colours (Magenta: Blue/Red, Cyan: Green/Blue, Yellow: Red, Green)
        - The brain can perceive colours and shades depending on the number and combination of iodopsins stimulated

Hope this helps

why is their school giving them a dotpoint to study if it isnt even correct......?
ATAR Goal 90

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #791 on: September 27, 2017, 05:38:29 pm »
why is their school giving them a dotpoint to study if it isnt even correct......?
Maybe it's an old syllabus and hence why that part has been taken out (because it's supposedly incorrect), cause knowing my school it wouldn't have been on purpose, my teacher has been teaching for aggggeees (at this point he looks like Santa Claus) and probably gave us the old one by mistake
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
« Reply #792 on: September 27, 2017, 05:43:43 pm »
Maybe it's an old syllabus and hence why that part has been taken out (because it's supposedly incorrect), cause knowing my school it wouldn't have been on purpose, my teacher has been teaching for aggggeees (at this point he looks like Santa Claus) and probably gave us the old one by mistake

The bottom part of your question is good to know. Rhodopsin is more sensitive to blue-green light which are at the lower end of the wavelength spectrum.

2016 HSC (Accelerated):

2017 HSC:

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #793 on: September 27, 2017, 05:50:38 pm »
oh yeah probably! luckily you asked so thats cleared up for you know. My maths teacher is like that to HAHAHAHA, shes been teaching for 40 years damn
ATAR Goal 90

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #794 on: September 27, 2017, 07:02:11 pm »
Could anyone offer a summary of the different types of bio options? Our school usually does communication but our teacher is willing to change it seeing as it's the final year and he really likes the genetics option (which he said was like an extension of the things we did in year 10, like dihybrid). Which topics are more conceptual and which ones are more equation-y?