Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 16, 2024, 02:27:39 am

Author Topic: HSC Biology Question Thread  (Read 348944 times)  Share 

sophiegmaher

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: Biology Question Thread
« Reply #1020 on: October 24, 2017, 04:23:37 pm »
This is from a trial paper I found online

Does my answer make sense, like how would you have answered it/how did the sample answers go about it?
HSC 2017 - Legal | Bio | Eco | Advanced English | Advanced Maths | 1U Religion

archie33

• Adventurer
  • hUnGrY
« Reply #1021 on: October 24, 2017, 04:48:18 pm »
They together determined that Chromosome Theory of Inheritance: that patterns of inheritance in mammals matched those established by Mendel and his pea plants. So, they found that the law of random segregation, the law of independent assortment, and the law of simple dominance applied in mammals by testing sea urchin eggs, in relation to Boveri, and grasshopper testes, in Sutton's case. It is important to note that each of them were observing the process of meiosis in each of these two different organisms, hence the fact that these same laws applied to them enhances the reliability of the theory. This theory also includes that chromosomes are found in the nucleus, where previously it was thought to be found in the cytoplasm AND the nucleus, and that fertilisation allows new pairs of chromosomes to form as those that randomly segregate/independently assort come together.

And to answer the latter part of your question, they found out slightly different things that all contributed to the one theory explained above!
There are heaps of youtube videos on them if you need further clarification.
Hope that makes sense :)

@sophiegmaher  Thank you so much! Makes sense now. :)
:)

vanessalouiseee

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1022 on: October 24, 2017, 05:07:20 pm »
Can anyone explain the functions of DNA helicase and DNA polymerase??

pvee123

• Adventurer
« Reply #1023 on: October 24, 2017, 05:26:31 pm »
Hey guys, just a quick question, does the fluid inside the cochlea pass through the Reissner and Basiler membrane into each canal, or does it just provoke other fluids located in different canals to transfer mechanical energy?

caitlinlddouglas

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1024 on: October 24, 2017, 05:30:22 pm »
hey guys would someone mind describing the lung cancer dot point for epidemiology? Do we have to know the names of specific studies?
Thanks!!

sidzeman

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1025 on: October 24, 2017, 05:30:57 pm »
DNA Helicase is responsible for the "unzipping" of DNA during RNA replication - this creates the exposed strand where new, complementary nucleotide bases are then added - DNA Polymerase is what catalyses the addition of these new bases. Both are enzymes

sidzeman

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1026 on: October 24, 2017, 05:42:30 pm »
What exactly do we have to know about the structures of xylem and phloem?

ellybubble

• Adventurer
« Reply #1027 on: October 24, 2017, 05:48:12 pm »
hey guys would someone mind describing the lung cancer dot point for epidemiology? Do we have to know the names of specific studies?
Thanks!!

I think just know a brief outline of the epidemiological study by Hill and Doll from the 50's in the UK
so like the case study: by collecting data on the occurrence of the disease to identify the impacts of age, race, geographic specificity
e.g. lung cancer incidence was higher in UK than Japan and try to form a hypothesis for the etiology of the disease (E.g. could be due to increased smoking since WW2 or from increased construction of roads etc)
then they did a case control by determining the frequency of the determinant (smoking) in diseased and non diseased individuals
e.g. they asked 650 lung cancer sufferers and only 2 didn't smoke --> so there is a correlation b/w smoking and lung cancer
but this sample size was too small so they did a cohort study following 40,000 doctors for like 40 years or something where they one group is exposed to the determinant whereas the other isn't (analytical study)

and then Doll found the odds ratio b/w smoking and lung cancer to be like 9.01 and anything above 1 suggests there is a causal relationship

hope this is right lol
not sure if u needa know that much detail
HSC 2017: English Adv, Maths (2U/3U), Chemistry, Biology, Economics

left right gn

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1028 on: October 24, 2017, 05:49:46 pm »
Can i use down syndrome as an example of an inherited disease?

ellybubble

• Adventurer
« Reply #1029 on: October 24, 2017, 05:51:18 pm »
What exactly do we have to know about the structures of xylem and phloem?

Maybe the differences and similarities in structure and purpose and the associated theories of movement of substances?
like xylem is dead tissue and supported by lignin and passively transports water and mineral ions upwards only (unidirectionally) via the cohesion- adhesion- transpiration theory or whatever

and phloem is alive, has sieve plates and companion cells, sugars, bidirectionally, active transport... bleh
and xylem is larger than phloem i think (which is weird considering phloem transports sugar?)

ellybubble

• Adventurer
« Reply #1030 on: October 24, 2017, 05:52:26 pm »

yeah i think so, since it is a genetic disease?

Mathew587

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #1031 on: October 24, 2017, 05:57:35 pm »

No down syndrome isn't generally inherited as it's a mutation of the 21 chromosome and cos most peeps with down syndrome don't reproduce.
HSC 2017- 90.58
English Adv: 85
Mathematics Adv: 89
Biology: 86
Chemistry: 81
Economics:86
Business Stud: 91

~ UNSW Economics/Science ~

angelahchan

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #1032 on: October 24, 2017, 06:03:27 pm »
I know there's a genetics elective or something, so bear in mind this is just info from blueprint. DNA helicase is an enzyme that catalyses the unwinding of the double helix. DNA polymerase breaks the bonds between the bases of nucleotides, and it also checks to see whether the new bonds (during DNA replication) match (e.g. A with T, G with C)

Hey guys, just a quick question, does the fluid inside the cochlea pass through the Reissner and Basiler membrane into each canal, or does it just provoke other fluids located in different canals to transfer mechanical energy?
The latter- the fluid (perilymph and endolymph depending on which chambers)  in the different chambers don't actually mix because of the membranes separating them. instead, like you said, they push on each other from pressure from round window, transferring mechanical energy

ellybubble

• Adventurer
« Reply #1033 on: October 24, 2017, 06:03:31 pm »
No down syndrome isn't generally inherited as it's a mutation of the 21 chromosome and cos most peeps with down syndrome don't reproduce.

Translocation Down syndrome is sometimes hereditary apparently but i think in most cases it is not inherited (ur right). i think i would use another example like cystic fibrosis?

itssona

• MOTM: APR 17
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #1034 on: October 24, 2017, 06:24:11 pm »

Hii wondering what type of adaptation sunbaking is? e.g. central netted dragon sunbake during the morning to absorb heat which activates their daily body functions.

also during day their skin becomes lighter? what type of adaptation is this too?
HSC 2018 : Maths 3U, Maths 4U, English Advanced, Biology, Physics, Chemistry