Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 30, 2024, 07:56:04 pm

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 209603 times)  Share 

JD99

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
Re: English Standard Question Thread
« Reply #390 on: July 31, 2017, 10:06:45 pm »
+4
I bet u that quote won't take long to memorise!!!  ;D ;D ;D

kdawgs

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #391 on: August 02, 2017, 09:56:55 pm »
In what ways are people and their experiences brought to life through the distinctively visual?

Hi I'm an advanced candidate trying to help a friend out. He's struggling to make a general statement for his essays for the first module in this question. Can anyone help?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #392 on: August 02, 2017, 10:38:49 pm »
+2
In what ways are people and their experiences brought to life through the distinctively visual?

Hi I'm an advanced candidate trying to help a friend out. He's struggling to make a general statement for his essays for the first module in this question. Can anyone help?

You should tell him to make an account and ask us! ;D

To pass on though, perhaps just something about how composers need to create images the audience can empathise with to convey their points? So:

To most effectively convey experiences, composers must use language to craft distinctive images that the audience can empathise with.

^ Super quick and clunky but something like that? Then you could lead into the themes you want to talk about :)

mattmuzz

• Adventurer
« Reply #393 on: August 03, 2017, 05:14:31 pm »
so for my trials i have to do a speech as well and i need help with my structure for my speech. The speech is on mod c "texts and society"  and the question is explain the individual's response to the challenges faced during transition and how these are presented by the composer in Billy Elliot and a related text

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #394 on: August 03, 2017, 07:59:58 pm »
+3
so for my trials i have to do a speech as well and i need help with my structure for my speech. The speech is on mod c "texts and society"  and the question is explain the individual's response to the challenges faced during transition and how these are presented by the composer in Billy Elliot and a related text

Hi! I did a speech for my Mod C Assessment Task as well :P

Intro
- I'd probs go with something like "Today I will be addressing..."
- Introduce your PT and how the individual (Billy?) responds to challenges (brief overview of what challenges)
- Similarly/Contrastingly ... the individual in your ORT, do they deal with challenges a different way?

Body Paragraph Structure (Billy Elliot/ORT)
- Topic sentence addressing the question
- Usual PEEL structure showing their response
- End of paragraph: explicitly link back to the question

Conclusion
Summarise how the composers show the individuals' response to challenges in their respective texts

TIPS
- Integrate the textual analysis more 'smoothly', so it doesn't seem clunky
- Pick quotes that are short, but chock full of techniques that can clearly link how the composers use them

Hope this helps :D
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

adelaidecruz

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #395 on: August 04, 2017, 02:25:34 pm »
Hi guys,

What's the effect of the technique "cumulative listing" to the responders? Thanks!
ATAR: 93.35
HSC 2017 - English Standard (94 - 11th in NSW) | Biology (92) | Chemistry (82) | Mathematics (83) | French Beginners (91)
2018-2022: B Sci (Physiology) / M Nursing @ USyd

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #396 on: August 04, 2017, 03:01:26 pm »
+3
Hi guys,

What's the effect of the technique "cumulative listing" to the responders? Thanks!

it depends on the quote, but usually it can create an overwhelming feeling, for example:

"in all my dreams, before my helpless sight, he plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning." (Dulce Et Decorum Est, by Owen) accumulation is used so the reader can understand the effects of war as something that affects their everyday lives.

another example:
"there are birds in the city, but in the city, you rarely notice them; there is too much urban jazz in the air, the drone of jets roaring in, the manic whine of sirens..." (Vertigo, by Amanda Lohrey) the use of accumulation through aural imagery here suggests to the reader ideas of the city that are too overwhelming, and the protagonists must move out.

there are various uses of accumulation, but when you read something, consider how it makes you feel as a reader - that might help in your analysis. hope this helps :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

mattmuzz

• Adventurer
« Reply #397 on: August 06, 2017, 04:51:10 am »
+2
Hi! I did a speech for my Mod C Assessment Task as well :P

Intro
- I'd probs go with something like "Today I will be addressing..."
- Introduce your PT and how the individual (Billy?) responds to challenges (brief overview of what challenges)
- Similarly/Contrastingly ... the individual in your ORT, do they deal with challenges a different way?

Body Paragraph Structure (Billy Elliot/ORT)
- Topic sentence addressing the question
- Usual PEEL structure showing their response
- End of paragraph: explicitly link back to the question

Conclusion
Summarise how the composers show the individuals' response to challenges in their respective texts

TIPS
- Integrate the textual analysis more 'smoothly', so it doesn't seem clunky
- Pick quotes that are short, but chock full of techniques that can clearly link how the composers use them

Hope this helps :D
Thankyouuuu so much this helps alot :)

pvee123

• Adventurer
« Reply #398 on: August 06, 2017, 03:14:17 pm »
Would this be an acceptable thesis?

QUESTION:
"Discoveries inevitably lead to new perceptions of the world, new values and understanding ourselves and others." To what extent does your prescribed text support this view.

THESIS: An individual's discoveries may act as a catalyst for change in values. Ultimately, an individual's change in values may provoke transformation on one's perspective on the world and others. At the end, their views on others differentiate between antagonistic or cordial relations.

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #399 on: August 06, 2017, 04:22:43 pm »
+1
Would this be an acceptable thesis?

QUESTION:
"Discoveries inevitably lead to new perceptions of the world, new values and understanding ourselves and others." To what extent does your prescribed text support this view.

THESIS: An individual's discoveries may act as a catalyst for change in values. Ultimately, an individual's change in values may provoke transformation on one's perspective on the world and others. At the end, their views on others differentiate between antagonistic or cordial relations.

try posting your thesis in this thread: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=167423.msg899223#msg899223

your thesis is pretty good, and covers all aspects of the question. i personally think the last sentence is unnecessary, but that's my opinion :-) good luck for trials!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

pvee123

• Adventurer
« Reply #400 on: August 06, 2017, 04:26:05 pm »
THANK YOU SO MUCH! :)))

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #401 on: August 09, 2017, 10:18:10 pm »
Hey, guys! I just got my trial English paper 1 back and I almost got an A for my essay :( But what stopped me was my expression and the need for elaborating on certain ideas and analysis.
What are quickest and smartest ways to improving our expression in our writing? And how do we know if we need to elaborate on a point?
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

bsdfjnlkasn

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #402 on: August 10, 2017, 05:47:09 am »
+11

Hey, guys! I just got my trial English paper 1 back and I almost got an A for my essay :( But what stopped me was my expression and the need for elaborating on certain ideas and analysis.
What are quickest and smartest ways to improving our expression in our writing? And how do we know if we need to elaborate on a point?

Hey there!

You've truly done a great job with your essay. Don't worry about it not being an A, you've got time to improve and already heaps of great stuff to work with :)!     

With expression, make sure your writing style is fairly close with your speaking style as it'll not only seem more natural to you, but to your marker as well. It'll also speed up the writing process as you won't need to keep reaching for the synonym button and will help you have a better grasp on what you're saying. Try to be as clear as possible (drop the extra long words) and put discovery everywhere in your analysis.

This leads me to your elaboration question. After you've proposed your thesis/topic sentence pick all the best evidence to prove your point. The most crucial part of the paragraph is when you link the technique in the quote to your claim about discovery. This tends to be a place which lacks sufficient explanation, especially in memorised essays where students bookend the question on each end of the paragraph (not saying you do this, just admitting a common habit). So, after your analysis, literally asks yourself "how?" for techniques and "why?" when reading the evaluating your point on discovery. If you can't answer these with literal lines from your essay, you haven't explained yourself enough.

So the advice I have for you now, is to see where your marker felt a bit lost in your paragraphs and commented on the need for further explanation. Really target those areas and confirm which strategies will be most appropriate in linking your analysis to the rubric. Your expression will definitely improve over time as you clarify your ideas and practice more :)

Hopefully this helped! Ask more questions if you have them :)

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #403 on: August 10, 2017, 08:20:19 am »
+1

Hey there!

You've truly done a great job with your essay. Don't worry about it not being an A, you've got time to improve and already heaps of great stuff to work with :)!     

With expression, make sure your writing style is fairly close with your speaking style as it'll not only seem more natural to you, but to your marker as well. It'll also speed up the writing process as you won't need to keep reaching for the synonym button and will help you have a better grasp on what you're saying. Try to be as clear as possible (drop the extra long words) and put discovery everywhere in your analysis.

This leads me to your elaboration question. After you've proposed your thesis/topic sentence pick all the best evidence to prove your point. The most crucial part of the paragraph is when you link the technique in the quote to your claim about discovery. This tends to be a place which lacks sufficient explanation, especially in memorised essays where students bookend the question on each end of the paragraph (not saying you do this, just admitting a common habit). So, after your analysis, literally asks yourself "how?" for techniques and "why?" when reading the evaluating your point on discovery. If you can't answer these with literal lines from your essay, you haven't explained yourself enough.

So the advice I have for you now, is to see where your marker felt a bit lost in your paragraphs and commented on the need for further explanation. Really target those areas and confirm which strategies will be most appropriate in linking your analysis to the rubric. Your expression will definitely improve over time as you clarify your ideas and practice more :)

Hopefully this helped! Ask more questions if you have them :)

Hellooo! Thank You so much for clearing this up! Literally my teacher hasn't given me any direction to how I should improve. Just what I need.
LOVE THIS ! I APPRECIATE SO MUCH :)
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

Aussie1Italia2

• Trailblazer
« Reply #404 on: August 10, 2017, 09:43:32 am »
Hello, quick question about quoting in an essay. my quote directly from the novel is '... WE'RE JUST ALIKE...' do I keep that in capitals?
Thank you!!!
HSC 2017:
English Standard
Mathematics
Biology
Chemistry
PDHPE
Italian Beginners

Hoping to do Neuroscience at Uni!