Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 08:17:57 pm

Author Topic: Arts Subject help :)  (Read 2215 times)  Share 

mangmang712

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
Arts Subject help :)
« on: December 16, 2009, 02:44:21 pm »
Hi!

I have been browsing through Monash's university handbooks to discover which subjects I am most interested in and was just wondering what people views are in relation to politics and english. English (first year) sounds very focused on grammar, punctuation and editing ... is it like this in reality?
Also, in the BA course structure, 2 units must be taken from an Arts discipline (they are neither a major, minor or an elective). However, these two units seem to be different to the ones in the first year. Does this mean that in the first year you choose one subject and in the second year you pick a new/different one? This is really confusing :(
Also, I understand that last year's Clearly-in ENTER for the Arts (Monash-clayton) was 86.55; was the Clearly-in in previous years similar to this?

Sorry about all of these questions!! Any input or opinion is greatly valued! Thanks in advance :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 03:09:23 pm by mangmang712 »

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
Re: Arts Subject help :)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 08:28:49 pm »
I know lots of people doing politics and apparently it's a very interesting subject. Not so sure about English; depends on what subjects you choose I guess? I know some people who just read a lot of literature and write essays on them.

Also, in the BA course structure,
Can you link to it please?

Clearly-in shouldn't change too much from previous years. You don't have to answer this, but what did you get?
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

mangmang712

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 09:46:53 pm »
Thank you for your reply :)

Ok, it says this:

"Requirements
Students complete the following:

(a.) an arts major (48 points)

(b.) an arts minor (24 points)

(c.) another first-year arts sequence (12 points)

(d.) another 12 points of arts at first, second or third-year level --> so can this part be a different subject to the one chosen for c) and (if so) this could mean that you are choosing a new subject in your second year. So, would you learn the subject at a second-year standard or at a first-year standard due to not having chosen it before. I hope this makes sense! I'm only concerned about this now because it will influence which subject I choose for next year! I can't give you the link/diagram of the structure as I cannot find it online, I've seen it in one of the booklets on open day.

(e.) additional units to make up a total of 144 points"

Clearly-in shouldn't change too much from previous years. You don't have to answer this, but what did you get?
I got 92 ... is that high enough? I've already asked this question but I am really worried that it is not a good enough ENTER :(
By the way, thank you for your feedback on politics and english!

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 10:31:56 pm »
(d) means that you can either use those 12 points of credit on a different area, or on the same area as say, your minor, which will turn it into a major.

You don't have to follow those specifications, as long as you complete the 144 points required to graduate. You can move the units around. It's kinda hard to explain lol... So you need 48 points for a major, and 24 points for a minor.

Say you want to do a double major in politics and English, and a double minor in uhh... history and international studies.

(a) - you study 48 points worth (which = 8 subjects) of politics units. Voila politics major
(b) - you study 24 points worth of English units. You now have an English minor, but you want it to be a major, therefore you need to study another 24 points worth.
---> take the 12 points from (c) and 12 points from (d) and use them on English units. Voila, English major.

So now you've done 96 points. You need 144 to graduate, so you have to do another 48 points.
You can either use this on another major, or split it up and do 24 points of history and 24 points of international studies, et voila, 2 minors.

>_< it's simpler than it sounds. Also you might wanna visit a course counsellor in the first few weeks of your degree just to make sure you're allowed to do this (I don't see why not though, it's what I'm doing)

Oh and if you got 92 you'll most likely make it, dw :)
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

mangmang712

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 10:45:19 pm »
Ohhhh .. ok then. Thanks so much for that! I think I get it now  :D

Oh and if you got 92 you'll most likely make it, dw :)

Are you sure? I'm really worried because I haven't put down another course to fall back on ... do you think I should? lol
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 10:50:30 pm by mangmang712 »