Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 05, 2024, 09:15:46 am

Author Topic: Timetabling for UoM Biomedicine TIPS???!  (Read 2958 times)  Share 

Mintk

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Timetabling for UoM Biomedicine TIPS???!
« on: January 13, 2017, 10:56:54 am »
Hey :) I've been excited about being able to get in biomedicine, and I formed a timetable with subjects that I'm likely to be doing.
I gave myself a lot of time in between lectures so I can study & revise and catch a breathe before another class.
From a uni person's perspective - it'd be better if you are a biomed student - could you give me some tips? What do you think about my timetable?

THANK YOU!! :)  :) :) :) :)

Note: I've edited the timetable according to the tips I've received. What does it look like now?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 12:48:32 pm by Mintk »
2017-2019: University of Melbourne, Bachelor of BIomedicine

Flowers ~
Mocha, Cheese cakes, Chocolate brownies, Iced green tea, a latte with one sugar, brunch, waffles, Churros... <3

auds

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +21
Re: Timetabling for UoM Biomedicine TIPS???!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 04:31:47 pm »
I prefer to have my classes back to back if possible because I feel like I'm less productive if I have random 1-2 hour free blocks between classes
Pls do not send me a pm about Aspire applications. The process has vastly changed since I applied.

Indo SL [50]
My Indo Advice Thread :)

Tutoring for Methods in 2020.
Click here for more info

RKTR

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 09:43:32 pm »
don't think it's a good idea to have 2 pracs on the same day. it can get very tiring.
2015-2017: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Neuroscience)
2018: Doctor of Medicine (Withdrawn)
2019: Bachelor of Commerce (Actuarial Studies?)

Mintk

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 12:06:41 pm »
Ohh okay. By the way, if we have two lectures with no time gap in between, are we able to go to the lecture in time?
Or... Would the lecturers mind?

And now I think about it, two pracs a day do sound tiring XDD

Flowers ~
Mocha, Cheese cakes, Chocolate brownies, Iced green tea, a latte with one sugar, brunch, waffles, Churros... <3

anakhl

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 12:52:43 pm »
Personally I like to have classes back to back rather than spaced out, and that seems to be the general consensus with people I know. Having one or two hour gaps isn't that useful for study, and I'd rather get everything out the way and then have the rest of the day open to whatever I need to do.

As for having two pracs on the same day. I did it for both semesters and it was perfectly fine.

Tute wise, I recommend having all your tutes on the same day. My reasoning behind this is that by doing so I am only bound to go to uni for two days max. One day for the pracs, the other for the tutes. If I need to skip a day I can do so and all I'd have missed are lectures which I can watch at home. The downside is that if you're forced to skip a tute day you'll need to catch up to four tutes, but I've never had the issue come up yet and there's plenty of other tutes running every day and you can attend if you just happen to run into this situation.

And lastly, you've neglected to add in an EDDA practical to your timetable.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 12:55:26 pm »
+1
Back to back is the way to go. I had massive gaps and it just meant that I had stupidly long days with nothing to do. It also meant that I only had one day a week off when I could have had two.

Classes start five minutes late and finish five minutes early, so there's plenty of time to get to the next one.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

hebete11

• Adventurer
  • School: Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 08:33:37 pm »
Just because back to back works for some people doesn't mean it'll work best for you too. I personally find I study more efficiently when I'm in the library with a limited amount of time, and so these gaps can be beneficial (entirely depending on how you study). Keep in mind what everyone has said and go with your instinct.

Mintk

• Trailblazer
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 06:38:05 pm »
Right, thank you all!!  ;D ;D

Flowers ~

BNard

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 12:06:01 pm »
If you go back to back doing mainstream first year Science subjects, is it even possible to arrive to the lecture on time?
2017 - 2019: UoM BSci (Path)

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 11:04:16 am »
If you go back to back doing mainstream first year Science subjects, is it even possible to arrive to the lecture on time?

Yep, easy. They start 5 minutes late and finish 5 minutes early
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd