Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 01:45:25 am

Author Topic: Global Politics 2014  (Read 47458 times)  Share 

Jono_CP

Re: Global Politics 2014
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2014, 01:51:19 am »
Thanks Marco Reus, appreciate the advice.

It is a mental attitude I have, because if you work really hard but don't get the desired result... I have never treated that well.

But you gave me some really good pointers on essay structure, examples and ultimately abiding by the prompt.

I attempted another essay which I just literally finished at 1:30AM (not a normal thing), it was on America's Constitution in comparison to Australia's and whether we should adopt some of their functions.

I'll update you/others on how I go. I think it is a well written essay and I used a range of library books to help me. If it doesn't go to plan or I get a mark which I do not like, I will express that as well and re-write the essay I wrote here for areas of improvement.

Until then, thanks for the help :)

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +135
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2014, 05:25:18 pm »
My school, well teacher considering its only one class, ran out of time in covering AoS 2 of Unit 3 and so we only covered Australia's national interests.
We we're meant to do China or Indonesia... and because we didn't, you guys reckon 1 state is enough to know about? As the SAC in in a few weeks and not only that, for the exam. I was thinking of covering China independently, waste of time or would it benefit me?
Thanks.
2015: Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Global Studies @ Monash University

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2014, 11:26:43 pm »
Waste you will have to state the one state you have studied on the exam and your SAC will be modelled around Australia's national interests.

Thanks for that!

Jono_CP

« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2014, 12:41:53 am »
Yay! Finally some improvement. Went from 12/20 in an essay to 18/20. My teacher recommended me to have more examples from beyond 2000, but at least I know what type of essay he wants. I made like a 5 minute plan, which helped me stick to the question throughout (majority - still the odd mistake).

Alas, I dropped from 25/30, 28/32 to 20 and a half/30 for a short answer SAC. This SAC was rather difficult and I made a few silly mistakes, e.g. instead of saying that the President doesn't have the power to legislate, I said it did. Also "Bill/Charter of Rights", I didn't know the USA only referred to it as a Bill. Electoral Colleges I will have to study for a little better.

Even though it is a woeful mark worthy of demolition, I still do not feel panicked by the short answer questions as previous to this I was going ok, and hey maybe it's a good thing I am not peaking this time around! E.g. I was getting 28/30 for short answer practices in Australian Democracy (AOS1) and pulled a measly 25/30 next time around (the one where it mattered!).

I am also planning my revision sheets. E.g. one for the study design and one for potential SAC questions. Using various highlighters, key words and dot points. Does anyone have any feedback on this; I am confident in my processes (every so often) but I am open to criticism.

Also just on a side-note, my teacher said that whilst he thinks (not sure if I do) I have a very strong work ethic, he claims that I am too pedantic about specific details and that I should back myself because "I know more than I realise" (according to the teacher). I feel as though this may be true but is this something to be cursed? I.e. if I don't know one dot point for a Politics SAC coming up, that is a potential 2 - 4 marks gone. And in the last SAC, I got caught out in this regard. Thoughts?

Thank you everyone for the help previously! :)

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2014, 07:28:12 am »
You're lucky. With half the dot points on the study design I can't even find the resources available for the SAC. I'll be writing in my SAC in 2 hours time and I literally know nothing. I took yesterday off in an attempt to find as much information and examples as possible which was a complete failure, so now I'm basically trying to learn some notes I just had written down for the sake of it. Half of what is on the SAC will be textbook questions as well which I don't learn because I just follow the shitty global study design so yep, I'm gone. I'm gone for 4 subjects now, I only have 1 subject that I'll get a 40+ in. FML.

Not necessarily! Just grab the dot points on the AoS and makesure you can answer any form of question relating to the same sort of thing.

Best approach to do is make potential SAC questions and answer them with their full marked component. Then memorise it!

If you guys want I have a practice SAC for Global Politics AoS2. Good source of revision!

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2014, 06:50:56 pm »
Yay! Finally some improvement. Went from 12/20 in an essay to 18/20. My teacher recommended me to have more examples from beyond 2000, but at least I know what type of essay he wants. I made like a 5 minute plan, which helped me stick to the question throughout (majority - still the odd mistake).

Haha congrats! Keep it up!

EDIT: I did the SAC. I completely didn't know two questions worth 6 marks altogether. The rest of it I felt I covered somewhat well to a degree, of course with marks lost here and there, but the questions seemed to cross over so much and I used the same examples so much. Hope I get like 70%. Even though that isn't great if I get that I'll be happy. There were a few questions on territorial integrity and I completely forgot to talk about secession in the definition, and I wrote terribly. There are so few lines in Global so I was just being vague and I hate it, and I have tiny handwriting.

Sounds like you did better than you expected! Hope it turns out well :)

Jono_CP

« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2014, 08:00:35 pm »
Australian Politics SACs x 2 next week, OMG!   

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2014, 12:18:21 pm »
+1
Mine is in a weeks time. Come at me.
Haha  ;D

Jono_CP

« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2014, 08:44:49 pm »
I've prepared thoroughly for the short answer, and I a lot more calm than I was after school.

Not sure about everyone else, but like I think with Aus. Politics/Global it is nigh on impossible for me to regurgitate info. in comparison to say a Business Management subject, because with adequate preparation you know what is virtually on the SAC.

In terms of politics, the teacher has told us nothing of what will be on it, however everyone is in the same boat I guess.

I've focused on understanding terms more so than for repetition's sake. Is this the right way of going about?

E.g. we only have like 2/3 questions that are worth 2 marks and there are like 40 definitions and the teacher has left us guessing.

Jono_CP

« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2014, 08:48:03 pm »
The 4 markers I have some idea, but one still needs adequate examples to get the full marks.

I am confident because I know I have prepared very well, but at the same time the wealth of information gets to me...

Literally, the teacher has said nothing of what will be on it.

I've covered everything in my notes though

90ATAR

« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2014, 09:08:57 pm »
With my SACS you can pretty much guess what is going to be on it, with exception. e.g. My teacher asking something like 'Explain the third dimension of power' or 'explain the current situation between China and Japan' for several marks.

What I think is really good about global politics is that I can remember facts really easily. I'll remember dates and a long list of things about x, y and z but when a SAC is actually asking me to spit it out it is hard to pick the right ones, let alone not get completely jumbled up in the bazillion facts that you've memorised. Across maybe ten questions for my last SAC, I think I wrote the same examples across every question which was really bad but I had a huge mental blank and couldn't do anything about it -> bit me in the ass for not doing any practice questions!

If you cover the study design you should be golden. I need to start doing that myself. Examples are key in GP, and probably AusPol.

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2014, 09:19:01 pm »
+1
For Global as 90ATAR said (you are literally what I aspire to be)  ;D
My teacher hints here and there, emphasises on particular questions and gives us revision. In saying that, even if that wasn't provided, your AoS 'key knowledge' points on the Study Design, should be your expected acquired knowledge (as SACs are derived off these points).

Definitions are often quite limited to 2-3 per SAC as they only offer 1-2 marks each.
What really is essential is you applying examples into the questions.
Examples = marks.
Evaluating = marks.

Jono_CP

« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2014, 09:28:56 pm »
Ok thanks guys.

Jono_CP

« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2014, 09:31:59 pm »
I've kind of memorised the definitions. I don't know, like I haven't rote learned them (some I have) but I feel like I have a general sense of how to approach a question when I see it. Not sure if this is effective... Couldn't do it any other way, there is too much info. Thankfully I have done many practice SACs but the most important one is tomorrow.

Jono_CP

« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2014, 09:34:42 pm »
Should I keep reading over my notes, start creating voice memos??? My SAC is like 5th period, so I can use about 2-3 classes to study. How should I approach this?