Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 21, 2024, 07:41:59 pm

Author Topic: Differing perceptions of national interest  (Read 1365 times)  Share 

saaaaaam

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +7
Differing perceptions of national interest
« on: November 14, 2010, 01:13:24 pm »
So I need some help.

I can explain what the differences in the perception of national interests are, especially in relation to China and Taiwan. But I'm struggling to explain why there are differences in perception. Can somebody help?
The dreams that you dare to dream really do come true.

JVG

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
Re: Differing perceptions of national interest
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 04:24:03 pm »
Well within China, you have Taiwan, Xianjiang and Tiber (parts of the Chinese state). Their views towards territorial integrity and social harmony would greatly differ from those of the PRC. Thus you have an opportunity to speak of these conflicts.

Also you could speak of growing pressure for democracy within the Chinese state- members of the wealthy south pushing for democracy.

Hope that helps.
2009: Media (50), Legal Studies (44)
2010: English (47), Maths Methods (31), French (40), International Studies (50) and COM1010 MUEP (5.5- Highest Achiever)
ATAR: 99.90
Australian Student Prize 2010
Melbourne National Scholarship
Melbourne Copland Scholarship
Kwong Lee Dow Scholar

saaaaaam

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 04:51:53 pm »
Well within China, you have Taiwan, Xianjiang and Tiber (parts of the Chinese state). Their views towards territorial integrity and social harmony would greatly differ from those of the PRC. Thus you have an opportunity to speak of these conflicts.

Also you could speak of growing pressure for democracy within the Chinese state- members of the wealthy south pushing for democracy.

Hope that helps.

The pressure for democracy is a good one! Thank you. I haven't come across that before.

In regards to Taiwan, Tibet and Xingjiang - why do their perceptions differ?

JVG

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 05:51:58 pm »
^^

Because they are separatist provinces- their conception of their own sovereignty differs from the PRC's conception of One  China. They want separation/China doesn't- thats the clash. Thus you can look at protests (Xinajinag 2009)(Tibet 2008) as well as Political Movements (The Pan-Green coalition in Taiwan)
2010: English (47), Maths Methods (31), French (40), International Studies (50) and COM1010 MUEP (5.5- Highest Achiever)
Kwong Lee Dow Scholar

saaaaaam

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 06:08:11 pm »
I think I'm looking too deeply into it this but - why are they separatist regions?

I think I've found the sort of answer I'm looking for. It is because of historical/political reasons such as the shift of sovereignty from the ROC to the PRC. So for a short time Taiwan did have sovereignty and still believe they should have it today. 

JVG

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 06:11:47 pm »
Yeah- that's the whole point of China/Taiwan conflict
Kwong Lee Dow Scholar