Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 09:18:21 pm

Author Topic: Free AOS Creative Writing Marking!  (Read 286079 times)

Iminschool

• Forum Regular
  • Sup
Re: Free AOS Creative Writing Marking!
« Reply #540 on: March 06, 2017, 08:27:34 pm »
Hey, may i get feedback for my creative writing piece?
My teacher told me to fix the ending and make the effect/presence of the discovery more in depth but i'm struggling to put things together.
Thank you!
2016: Mathematics 92
2017 aims: Physics 96
Chemistry 94
Economics 93
English Advanced 90

ATAR AIM: 98ish

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
« Reply #541 on: March 07, 2017, 12:38:21 am »
yay!! thank you so much, it means a lot :)

also, I feel a bit weird about this sentence: "She sat in her chair, the peppery aroma inviting her to pick up her fork. As she stuck her fork into a pasta spiral, she smiled and asked “How’s the food, sweetie?” "

I use "fork" in two consecutive sentences. How can I modify this? I've tried but I don't think "utensil" really fits haha.
thanks again :)

Sorry I somehow overlooked this...I think perhaps you could change fork the first time for "cutlery." That solves that, I think! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #542 on: March 07, 2017, 07:39:31 pm »
I've been struggling at a Creative Piece for a while now. I keep feeling that the flow of the story is constantly a bit off. I would love somebody to take a read and tell me what they think. The flow, description, link to discovery.  Half Year's approaching and Creative is 1/3rd of it so I need to smash it :)

Cheers, Wales
Heavy Things :(

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
« Reply #543 on: March 09, 2017, 02:13:39 am »
Hey, may i get feedback for my creative writing piece?
My teacher told me to fix the ending and make the effect/presence of the discovery more in depth but i'm struggling to put things together.
Thank you!

Hey! Of course you can, I've popped it below with comments throughout ;D

Spoiler
White Walls

Blaine’s pencil was dragging along his paper like a butcher knife through meaty flesh. Tears were forming along the page. Heavy breathing was followed by sporadic sighs. Nice introduction. Sets an emotional state nicely, and very creative. Appreciate a few literary techniques too.

“Bullsh*t!” he exclaimed. I reckon you should make that profanity more impactful. First, write the actual word. If you are going to use it, use it. Also, ditch the "he exclaimed," and just write "Bullshit." More powerful. Finally, move the rest of this paragraph to a new line, make the word really stand out.

Restless and agitated, Blaine’s feet started tapping abruptly and in a threatening tone he shouted “I can’t take this any longer!”. Watch for realistic dialogue - Would someone in the state Blaine is in *actually* say this? In a frenzy, he grabbed and pulled at anything. Strands of hair showered down onto his polished, beige, Swedish crafted desk. “This damn essay is due... tomorrow! And I’ve gotten nowhere!” Blaine muttered half wittedly  as he caught his breath. As above, try and put yourself in Blaine's shows - Would you actually say this out loud like that? Also make sure to put new pieces of dialogue on a new line.

“These white walls! They’re closing in on me!” Blaine was exasperated. Feeling more claustrophobic than ever, Blaine’s chest began to tighten and his veins surged beneath the layers of his skin. Hunched in his chair, Blaine buried his head into his hands as he ruminated past failures. Yet again, he thought, another blown opportunity. I'd like to see you do more with imagery and figurative language here, to really make these claustrophobic notions pop off the page.

“When will this end?” he whispered, almost pleadingly. This shorter piece of dialogue feels more real than everything after "Bullshit," - Less dialogue is almost always more effective. If you overuse it, it loses the power.

Blaine’s tongue was rough in its dryness. He tried to rise from his seat to retrieve a glass of water, but felt as if he had weights strapped to his ankles. Tears streamed down his acne ridden cheeks. He was desperate. Heavy metal blared through his headphones. The screaming, the shouting once drowned out the sickening commotion he had tried to escape daily. I feel like we are still where we were when we started the piece. We haven't progressed anywhere. Same ideas, we've not escalated or gained any significant new understandings. Yet.

But now it was amplifying the sharp headache stabbing his left temple. His whitewashed bedroom walls seemed to loom over him, threatening to collapse. Sweat accumulated as beads on his forehead, sliding down his flushed face, filling his eyebrows, tickling his skin uncomfortably. A wave of nausea swept over him.

The term was reaching its close, finals week approaching and pressure only mounting. Blaine was no stranger to regret. His peers were always on task unlike himself. He’d leave everything to the last minute. Cool, flashbacks, I like where we are heading now! As aforementioned I reckon you should do this earlier.

Along with his uniform, Blaine would wear a fake smile to school, hiding his rigid and meaningless life. Blaine was the archetypal fatherless teen. Scraggy and irresponsible. More would be good here - Give an anecdote. Some more details. Give more justification for the emotional state of the character.

It was just over 4 years ago when Blaine’s family finally decayed and split. In retrospect, Blaine couldn’t fathom how it came about in the first place. Everyday had been war. Except there was no victor, and he was what you call collateral damage.
His mother had won the case. Memories of his father were very few, almost non existent. Life was barren for Blaine as he had stumbled across a point in his life where he simply cannot advance. This is a very much 'retold' story - Here is what happened. You'd be better off taking words away from the first half of your story and devoting it here - Showing not telling, giving more realistic pictures for the audience to connect to.

Blaine peered across the room as he heard the playful laughter of a young boy. Blaine approached the window and observed through the venetians. The boy was wearing an oversized Liverpool jersey that covered half of his thigh. Blaine couldn’t piece together the serenity felt by simply watching the boy kicking a ball across the street in the neighbour’s lawn. Perhaps you could have this boy there from the start of the story, always ignored, until the laughter becomes too annoying for Blaine and as he goes to shut the window, he looks out and sees it and starts this thought process. Right now it seems very out there, from nowhere - But you could plant seeds earlier to make this feel more natural!! And more powerful!

“Hmmph” Blaine grunted as he sunk back into his worn out leather chair. Just as he sat down, Blaine noticed that the boy’s laughter was gradually getting louder. “Ball! Ball!” the little boy shouted. Blaine heard the boy and reluctantly got up out of his chair ad walked towards the front door. Blaine  and saw the young boy approaching the stairwell entry into the house. Blaine and the young boy made eye contact. Read those last few sentences. That's a significant amount happening in the story - Have you described? Have you painted a picture? Or have you just said, "This happened, this happened, this happened." Try not to fall into retell! The young boy froze, motionless. Blaine was blank and no words were uttered, the boy shyly pointed to the ball lying in the fragrant lavender bush. Blaine retrieved the ball and walked over towards the boy who began to cautiously approach Blaine, looking back at his house every second step. Blaine reached out to give the ball to him and with one swift stride, the young boy grabbed the ball stared into Blaine’s eyes then dashed back into his lawn. Really cool and powerful moment - But I think you could do more with your language to emphasise it.

Blaine felt an inexplicable feeling in his abdominal region. Blaine felt dissatisfied with the ordeal. There’s more to this he felt. Out of curiosity, Blaine followed the boy into his lawn, playfully intercepting the ball and the two then began to exchange passes. Blaine’s old past time passionately ignited before him. His touch, his shot, his dribble, they seemed to all be intact. It’d been years since the last time Blaine played soccer. Blaine felt comfort, like he was apart of the ball, spiritually. The boy reminded him of his younger self. The Blaine who had no worries, the Blaine who’s only wish was to play soccer.

Some really cool use of language and concepts in here, thanks for posting it! ;D

So I can see why the teacher has made the suggestions they have, and I think they are related. Essentially, your Discovery only takes place at the end of your story, the final paragraph. So as a result, the ending is rushed ("fix the ending") and the Discovery lacks detail ("make the effect/presence of Discovery more in depth") - You can't get the conceptual depth you need in a single paragraph!

I've made a few suggestions throughout on things you can do, but I think you just need to play with the structure of the Discovery. Some ideas:

- Shift the story around to make the interaction with the boy longer - Have the feelings expressed in the last paragraph develop throughout the interaction not just all be listed at the end. Like, have the memories of soccer flood back when he first grabs the ball. Etc, etc. Do some flashbacks to times before the story occurs when soccer was played, maybe with the parents there cheering him on. You need to plant seeds!

- Have the boy appear near the start of the story and keep reappearing so the introduction of him as a main character feels less forced. Just the laughter in the background, "Wish that boy would shut up so I could get this crap done." That sort of thing.

- Have the story occur over multiple interactions with the boy - Stretch this out over a much longer period of time.

As a final suggestion, have you considered swapping to 1st person? It could help you remove some of that forced dialogue and replace it with just internal monologue - Which usually works better ;D

I hope this feedback is helpful to you! Be sure to let me know if you wanted me to clarify any of it! :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #544 on: March 09, 2017, 12:20:21 pm »
I've been struggling at a Creative Piece for a while now. I keep feeling that the flow of the story is constantly a bit off. I would love somebody to take a read and tell me what they think. The flow, description, link to discovery.  Half Year's approaching and Creative is 1/3rd of it so I need to smash it :)

Cheers, Wales

Hey Wales!! Sure thing, I'll pop the Creative below with some comments throughout:

Spoiler
The polished floor emanated a musky aroma as I stepped onto the stage. The echo of my shoes trailed my shadow as I made my way to the center. There it stood, embraced in pride and brilliance. My dark glossy reflection haunted me, examining my disparated expression of anguish and contempt. The piano loomed over me as the perfections of ivory taunted me, begging to be played. The intensity of the stage lights gave warmth to the tension in the room. Nice use of imagery in these opening sentences - Sets the tone and the scene nicely. Effectively intrigues the reader. I could hear whispers in the crowd “Look, it’s the human metronome himself”, “Has he really recovered?”. Be sure to start dialogue on its own line, and further, watch for realistic dialogue. I don't quite believe those two pieces of speech - They seem fake and forced, a little cheesy. You could replace it with a description of "shocked whispers" if you preferred - If you use dialogue, spend a lot of time thinking, what would people actually say? I planted myself in the chair, simultaneously undoing my lower suit button and inhaled the sultry air. I gracefully allowed my fingers to rest on the keys and whispered “For you” and so began my final piece. Etude Op. 25 No. 5 - Wrong Note by Chopin. I'd like to see you cut the sentence length as you approach the end here. Build a bit of a tension by having short, punchy sentences. Also make sure "For you" starts its own line.

All I could recall were the times my mother would hit me, inflicting me with emotional and physical scars that carried through to my adolescence. I remembered my resentful indignance I held to her for making me a slave to the score only to please the judges, depriving me of any creativity or emotion. Show, not tell - This is an area where you need to try and use the imagery you used above. In fact, it is probably MORE important here, because you are now actually going to explore some Discovery related conceptual elements. Growing up I often questioned myself, Is this the way music is meant to be played?, Why is my mother so harsh..? I like these rhetorical question. I could remember the traumatic experiences of when she would punish me for playing a note wrong, for being off tempo, for pouring my emotions into the piano. Describe one of these - Perhaps a flashback to a specific instance? I could feel her watching over me right now, frowning at how I was putting anger into my playing. Looove that. It felt therapeutic in a way, finally allowing music to become a medium between my emotions and reality. My enraged fingers thumped the keys as if demanding them for an answer, an answer to my mother’s years of unexplained cruelness. I really like the direction you are going with this - So far, I think this is a great response and you are setting up a nice conceptual basis.

I could feel the audience embrace the power in my playing, the supremacy I asserted onto the keys. For once I felt like I truly possessed authority, autonomy, presence. Show now tell - Give me a bit more description of this power and these emotions being experienced. No longer a puppet, a slave to the score. "Slave to the score" - That's gold right there. Need a title? That has to be it.

It was then I asked myself, is this the way Chopin would have wanted this piece to be played?  The sterling rectangles of ivory frantically reflected under the luminosity of the stage lights. Up until this moment music to me was this monotone canvas deprived of any emotion and now each note I was playing was like oversaturating a painting. I was coming to the realisation that music required balance and equanimity, that each key needed to be calibrated to my sentient mind and that even though the notes were right, the sound was wrong. So here we are doing something that is really tough not to do - We are just walking through the Discovery by saying it directly. The giveaway? 'I was coming to the realisation...' You need to be more subtle - The super sophisticated pieces will communicate the exact ideas you want to communicate here, without stepping the audience through it. Now don't get me wrong - This is NOT bad, but if you want to elevate, this is the sort of thing you need to consider. Subtlety and sophistication.

The Coda was approaching. My right arm twitched. The eldritch shadow of my mother looming over the piano with her walking stick transfigured my confidence into nothing more than a mound of disheveled ash ravaged by a vengeful blaze. I'd split this from the next bit to make it clear you are about to go back into reflection of a prior situation. Just for a bit more structural clarity.

Each time the Coda began my right arm would be flogged. I could never get the Tempo right. Andante was how she wanted it. On the occasion I managed to correctly perform the Coda she would uncharacteristically congratulate me, out of sympathy perhaps. Again, just breaking this big chunk of writing up a little. It might be personal preference, but I'm always a fan of avoiding huge slabs of writing in a Creative.

The deepening bass of the pedals intruded upon the dissonant sound of the piano, it was reminiscent of the cadent cracks of my mother's walking stick connecting against my right arm. The thought of my mother struck a chord of empathy. It was reminded me that she wasn’t composed entirely of malice, I began to remember my upbringing. I had always found it impossible to comprehend or justify her actions. I would constantly ask myself why I was being tormented. Previously I had thought her aggressive and demanding persona was her wanting to demoralise me but I now realised that it was not to dehumanise me but rather out of love. So here is another example of putting the Discovery on a platter for the audience - You are literally saying what the persona realises. You don't want to tell it - You want to show it. I now suspected that she didn’t want to let me go unprepared and unable to sustain myself as any mother would. She  wanted to leave me with this divine gift and hoped I would be able to foster my piano talent into a living and that just maybe I would take to become a pianist. I had gained a new insight to my mother’s intentions, it was no longer vile and selfish, instead I began to understand the virtuosity behind it all. Again, some beautiful statements and language choices, but it is just too direct. You need to try and take a more subtle approach. I could sense her genuine love for me and it was through that love she so desperately wanted me to grow. All those hours of peril and disparage came together. I felt foolish for recognising it far too late, so late that I could not even thank her. I didn’t want to imagine what she was feeling when I showed resentment to her love. See below.

The piano now preached a splendorous sound I’ve never known. All my emotions harmonised in this symphony. This rainbow coloured symphony. Was it really the end? No, it was just the beginning of my life. A proper goodbye to my past. Something I’ve struggled to leave behind. My fingers gracefully floated across the innocent keys of ivory, conjuring the last of the empowering octaves. I felt calm, shocked, grateful as the final chord resonated within the hall making way for the silence that followed. The lustrous lights exposed my shadow as I sauntered to the stage and bowed.

Farewell Mother. Powerful finish - I like it.

So this is a REALLY effective story to be telling for Discovery. It is simple, the premise is powerful, and it is super character focused. Don't you dare change the idea unless you absolutely have to for a stimulus, because if keep working on this piece, you will get 15. The story is there, the concepts are there - Now it is just about execution.

My biggest comment is on the obvious nature of the Discovery. So that paragraph where I wrote "See below" - That is the sort of paragraph that appears in a lot of responses - And it is an escape paragraph. It's a, "Shit, I need to make sure they know what the Discovery is," so near the end, a heap of students put a paragraph like this that steps through the thought process and the Discovery in its entirety. This isn't a bad thing, but it isn't the sophisticated approach. You need to show restraint, make these ideas obvious to the reader without saying them. You can make reflective statements, but make them subtle. See this:

"I could still see the scars on my hands from the cracks of the cane. They sickened me still. But then, here those scarred hands were, playing on stage. They never faltered. Battle hardened."

This NEVER directly acknowledges the positive intentions to the mothers actions. But you know that it is there - The persona is acknowledging the benefits of the harsh practice ever so subtly, but it is enough. Now I pulled that out of nowhere and it isn't perfect, but THAT is the sort of stuff I need more of from you.

I think the flow is great, though I'd like to see more time spent on flashbacks and a more obvious distinction between the two. Perhaps, have a play with it and see! I think you need more description in the parts I've indicated above - Again, proper flashbacks. I think having distinct sections where you are flash-backing to a specific scene that shows something you want to see, then back to current, back again, etc etc. That would give you better flow. It could be:

- Current Day getting on stage
- Flashback to practice
- Modern day - Reflection and coda
- Flashback to practicing coda
- Modern Day
- End

Or something. But that is something to explore ;D

You've got the makings of something special here. Reign it in a little, work on being subtle - Gentle taps, not a hammer swing. And just keep playing with the structure until you are happy ;D

jama11

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #545 on: March 09, 2017, 12:45:32 pm »
Hey There

Could I get feedback on my creative writing please? I am not sure it flows as well and if the discovery theme is obvious enough.

Thanks

sina_wildr99

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #546 on: March 09, 2017, 11:58:52 pm »
Hi, would you be able to check my creative to make sure it flows well or suggest any areas of improvement, like tense or where to add more language features? Thank you so much :)

For the thirteenth year in a row, we sit in the same crowded restaurant for this occasion. One this day, thirteen years ago, we moved. A move that I could never forgive my parents about. A move across 16 473 km, across two continents and 21 hours of sitting in a plane. A move from Germany, to Australia. In the outer suburbs of Western Sydney, a place that now fulfills the purpose of “home” we celebrate this great opportunity. An opportunity i wish was left behind, never reached for and grasped with open arms. For i, do not belong. I belong where I was born, in my hometown, with my friends and relatives; not on the opposite half of the world. But, acceptant of my fate, i sit patiently, for the thirteenth year in a row picking at a the mounds of soft, mashed potato on my plate, which could easily be mounds of soft snow in my place of birth.

Returning to my Oma and Opa’s white clad house, i escaped to the spare room, one full of memorabilia from the golden times, the life I got taken away from, my upbringing and birthright country, Germany. Uncomfortably sitting in the corner, surrounded by boxes that have never been unpacked, piling like mountains, bringing back the memories of the mountainous ranges near my hometown. A suggestion from my younger brother Eric, to look through my mother's old photo albums presents a good case.

Sitting under the yellow incandescent light bulb in the cold, still room, black and white photographs bring back the memories of my mothers childhood, and stimulate a period of contemplation of my life if we had stayed in Germany. Where would I be now? What would I have achieved by now apart from moving house seven times and starting my third high school? Would life be different if I have had a stable environment to settle into? Flicking through the images protected by plastic, a progression through the years displays the transformation of y grandparents and mother through the decades, and the growth of me, throughout my childhood.

Amidst passing through the pleasant memories of my youth in Germany, a faded sepia book slip out of one of the piles of photo albums resting on my lap. My younger brother is quick to grab the newly rediscovered object. Clearly aged and cherished, Eric slowly examines the exterior of the item before revealing a thrilled expression on his face.

“Check this out”, he says, passing the carefully bound together parchment pieces. With a quick glance across the cover of the book, it reveals the faded remnants of a fountain pen ink, hiding ta name, CLAUDIA. Opening the yellowed page, the delicate writings of an ink pen alleviated the suspense in the room.

“Diary - personal and private contents of C.W. permission required”

Looking up to see my brothers face gleaming, it is clear that we have come across my mother's diary”

Flicking through the endless diary entries, black and white photographs and filed letters received during the early 80s reveal my mother in her teenage years, around the age of 18, as i myself am at the moment.

Calls from the adjoining rooms indicate it is time for us to leave. Scrambling to conceal the discovery, i hid the diary under my crinkled leather jacket, just as my mother bust into the room, the old floorboards creaking beneath her weight. As if my telepathic communication, my brother and i turn towards each other,, agreeing to keep our find a secret. The hurried goodbyes on a chilly october night allow me to conceal the item under my jacket safely too the car.

Continued throughout the silence of the night, as all is calm and no one is awake, i slide out the diary and continue to read from  where i left off. Skimming through the pages with avidity, i am surprised to find pages filled up with lyrics of songs, letters sent from pen pals across Europe, photographs and diary entries encounting a teenage girl's life. A common theme, however, is present throughout all the lyrics and topics of conversation in the letters. Love.

I slowed as a particular poem in one entry’s caught my eye. Stuck onto the page, on a yellowed, coffee stained piece of paper, was a handwritten poem, one of distinctive font, my mother's font

“These feelings are crazy and all too confused
But that's how I feel when your heart’s been abused”

An unusual feeling in my heart brought the sudden realisation that i have felt similarly. The way that when we moved, all emotion had be torn from my body, leaving my friends and all connections behind, having to establish a new life, new foundations. All the emotions leaving me confused, as to how embrace the opportunity, yet i cannot forget what i have left behind. The words of the poem, resonating with my mind, it registers my mother has also had many difficulties inflicting her experiences growing up.

Struggling with my findings, I now know how my mother was so strong in assisting me and teaching me to be resilient through difficult times. She too, has faced many challenges and barriers to overcome, such have I, so I have to learn and appreciate the challenges to build strength. I now comprehend what has occurred, and appreciate my mother for all she has done for me.

Closing the diary, i feel content. At that moment i hear the handle only door open slowly as my mother enters the room. Suddenly she looks different. I smile and ask how her day was. Listening to her recount of events, i question what person i would be and what relationship i’d have with my mother if it weren't for our shared human experience about connection.

Wales

• Forum Leader
« Reply #547 on: March 10, 2017, 10:56:21 am »
Hey Wales!! Sure thing, I'll pop the Creative below with some comments throughout:

Spoiler
The polished floor emanated a musky aroma as I stepped onto the stage. The echo of my shoes trailed my shadow as I made my way to the center. There it stood, embraced in pride and brilliance. My dark glossy reflection haunted me, examining my disparated expression of anguish and contempt. The piano loomed over me as the perfections of ivory taunted me, begging to be played. The intensity of the stage lights gave warmth to the tension in the room. Nice use of imagery in these opening sentences - Sets the tone and the scene nicely. Effectively intrigues the reader. I could hear whispers in the crowd “Look, it’s the human metronome himself”, “Has he really recovered?”. Be sure to start dialogue on its own line, and further, watch for realistic dialogue. I don't quite believe those two pieces of speech - They seem fake and forced, a little cheesy. You could replace it with a description of "shocked whispers" if you preferred - If you use dialogue, spend a lot of time thinking, what would people actually say? I planted myself in the chair, simultaneously undoing my lower suit button and inhaled the sultry air. I gracefully allowed my fingers to rest on the keys and whispered “For you” and so began my final piece. Etude Op. 25 No. 5 - Wrong Note by Chopin. I'd like to see you cut the sentence length as you approach the end here. Build a bit of a tension by having short, punchy sentences. Also make sure "For you" starts its own line.

All I could recall were the times my mother would hit me, inflicting me with emotional and physical scars that carried through to my adolescence. I remembered my resentful indignance I held to her for making me a slave to the score only to please the judges, depriving me of any creativity or emotion. Show, not tell - This is an area where you need to try and use the imagery you used above. In fact, it is probably MORE important here, because you are now actually going to explore some Discovery related conceptual elements. Growing up I often questioned myself, Is this the way music is meant to be played?, Why is my mother so harsh..? I like these rhetorical question. I could remember the traumatic experiences of when she would punish me for playing a note wrong, for being off tempo, for pouring my emotions into the piano. Describe one of these - Perhaps a flashback to a specific instance? I could feel her watching over me right now, frowning at how I was putting anger into my playing. Looove that. It felt therapeutic in a way, finally allowing music to become a medium between my emotions and reality. My enraged fingers thumped the keys as if demanding them for an answer, an answer to my mother’s years of unexplained cruelness. I really like the direction you are going with this - So far, I think this is a great response and you are setting up a nice conceptual basis.

I could feel the audience embrace the power in my playing, the supremacy I asserted onto the keys. For once I felt like I truly possessed authority, autonomy, presence. Show now tell - Give me a bit more description of this power and these emotions being experienced. No longer a puppet, a slave to the score. "Slave to the score" - That's gold right there. Need a title? That has to be it.

It was then I asked myself, is this the way Chopin would have wanted this piece to be played?  The sterling rectangles of ivory frantically reflected under the luminosity of the stage lights. Up until this moment music to me was this monotone canvas deprived of any emotion and now each note I was playing was like oversaturating a painting. I was coming to the realisation that music required balance and equanimity, that each key needed to be calibrated to my sentient mind and that even though the notes were right, the sound was wrong. So here we are doing something that is really tough not to do - We are just walking through the Discovery by saying it directly. The giveaway? 'I was coming to the realisation...' You need to be more subtle - The super sophisticated pieces will communicate the exact ideas you want to communicate here, without stepping the audience through it. Now don't get me wrong - This is NOT bad, but if you want to elevate, this is the sort of thing you need to consider. Subtlety and sophistication.

The Coda was approaching. My right arm twitched. The eldritch shadow of my mother looming over the piano with her walking stick transfigured my confidence into nothing more than a mound of disheveled ash ravaged by a vengeful blaze. I'd split this from the next bit to make it clear you are about to go back into reflection of a prior situation. Just for a bit more structural clarity.

Each time the Coda began my right arm would be flogged. I could never get the Tempo right. Andante was how she wanted it. On the occasion I managed to correctly perform the Coda she would uncharacteristically congratulate me, out of sympathy perhaps. Again, just breaking this big chunk of writing up a little. It might be personal preference, but I'm always a fan of avoiding huge slabs of writing in a Creative.

The deepening bass of the pedals intruded upon the dissonant sound of the piano, it was reminiscent of the cadent cracks of my mother's walking stick connecting against my right arm. The thought of my mother struck a chord of empathy. It was reminded me that she wasn’t composed entirely of malice, I began to remember my upbringing. I had always found it impossible to comprehend or justify her actions. I would constantly ask myself why I was being tormented. Previously I had thought her aggressive and demanding persona was her wanting to demoralise me but I now realised that it was not to dehumanise me but rather out of love. So here is another example of putting the Discovery on a platter for the audience - You are literally saying what the persona realises. You don't want to tell it - You want to show it. I now suspected that she didn’t want to let me go unprepared and unable to sustain myself as any mother would. She  wanted to leave me with this divine gift and hoped I would be able to foster my piano talent into a living and that just maybe I would take to become a pianist. I had gained a new insight to my mother’s intentions, it was no longer vile and selfish, instead I began to understand the virtuosity behind it all. Again, some beautiful statements and language choices, but it is just too direct. You need to try and take a more subtle approach. I could sense her genuine love for me and it was through that love she so desperately wanted me to grow. All those hours of peril and disparage came together. I felt foolish for recognising it far too late, so late that I could not even thank her. I didn’t want to imagine what she was feeling when I showed resentment to her love. See below.

The piano now preached a splendorous sound I’ve never known. All my emotions harmonised in this symphony. This rainbow coloured symphony. Was it really the end? No, it was just the beginning of my life. A proper goodbye to my past. Something I’ve struggled to leave behind. My fingers gracefully floated across the innocent keys of ivory, conjuring the last of the empowering octaves. I felt calm, shocked, grateful as the final chord resonated within the hall making way for the silence that followed. The lustrous lights exposed my shadow as I sauntered to the stage and bowed.

So this is a REALLY effective story to be telling for Discovery. It is simple, the premise is powerful, and it is super character focused. Don't you dare change the idea unless you absolutely have to for a stimulus, because if keep working on this piece, you will get 15. The story is there, the concepts are there - Now it is just about execution.

My biggest comment is on the obvious nature of the Discovery. So that paragraph where I wrote "See below" - That is the sort of paragraph that appears in a lot of responses - And it is an escape paragraph. It's a, "Shit, I need to make sure they know what the Discovery is," so near the end, a heap of students put a paragraph like this that steps through the thought process and the Discovery in its entirety. This isn't a bad thing, but it isn't the sophisticated approach. You need to show restraint, make these ideas obvious to the reader without saying them. You can make reflective statements, but make them subtle. See this:

"I could still see the scars on my hands from the cracks of the cane. They sickened me still. But then, here those scarred hands were, playing on stage. They never faltered. Battle hardened."

This NEVER directly acknowledges the positive intentions to the mothers actions. But you know that it is there - The persona is acknowledging the benefits of the harsh practice ever so subtly, but it is enough. Now I pulled that out of nowhere and it isn't perfect, but THAT is the sort of stuff I need more of from you.

I think the flow is great, though I'd like to see more time spent on flashbacks and a more obvious distinction between the two. Perhaps, have a play with it and see! I think you need more description in the parts I've indicated above - Again, proper flashbacks. I think having distinct sections where you are flash-backing to a specific scene that shows something you want to see, then back to current, back again, etc etc. That would give you better flow. It could be:

- Flashback to practice
- Modern Day
- End

You've got the makings of something special here. Reign it in a little, work on being subtle - Gentle taps, not a hammer swing. And just keep playing with the structure until you are happy ;D

Thank you very much for the feedback :) I'm glad the concept is good. I'll continue to polish this up, 3 weeks to perfect this. As for the stimulus, I've actually already received it (I feel like it makes the exam a bit too easy but hey) and I'll attach it here and if you wouldn't mind giving me some pointers as to how to adapt it. I feel like I drew enough parallels but there's always room for improvement.

I just find it difficult to convey all those emotions without directly telling. I can do what you mention but I seem to struggle with conveying his emotions toward his mother without directly telling. Anyway, I'll work on it and post back in a week or two (15 posts later :P) and hope you won't have to suggest much cause I've fixed most of it haha. Also, I had my teacher mark a previous version of this (One I rushed out at 2 am the night before) and scored 12. I'm sure with your comments into account I will push this to a 15/15.

Cheers for the brilliant feedback, I wont disappoint you :)

Regards, Wales

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #548 on: March 10, 2017, 11:03:16 am »
Thank you very much for the feedback :) I'm glad the concept is good. I'll continue to polish this up, 3 weeks to perfect this. As for the stimulus, I've actually already received it (I feel like it makes the exam a bit too easy but hey) and I'll attach it here and if you wouldn't mind giving me some pointers as to how to adapt it. I feel like I drew enough parallels but there's always room for improvement.

Regards, Wales

I'm glad the feedback was useful!! I feel like you've made that stimulus work - What it is saying (to me) is that reflection is a never ending process. You can always go deeper. Perhaps you could re-frame the story slightly to say that the player will continue to learn even after the story is finished, somehow? Maybe he only partially forgives his mother but acknowledges there is more to go? Something like that - That's how I would personally manipulate it to match ;D

Wales

• Forum Leader
« Reply #549 on: March 10, 2017, 08:15:40 pm »
Hi, would you be able to check my creative to make sure it flows well or suggest any areas of improvement, like tense or where to add more language features? Thank you so much :)

For the thirteenth year in a row, we sit in the same crowded restaurant for this occasion. One this day, thirteen years ago, we moved. A move that I could never forgive my parents about. A move across 16 473 km, across two continents and 21 hours of sitting in a plane. A move from Germany, to Australia. In the outer suburbs of Western Sydney, a place that now fulfills the purpose of “home” we celebrate this great opportunity. An opportunity i wish was left behind, never reached for and grasped with open arms. For i, do not belong. I belong where I was born, in my hometown, with my friends and relatives; not on the opposite half of the world. But, acceptant of my fate, i sit patiently, for the thirteenth year in a row picking at a the mounds of soft, mashed potato on my plate, which could easily be mounds of soft snow in my place of birth.

Returning to my Oma and Opa’s white clad house, i escaped to the spare room, one full of memorabilia from the golden times, the life I got taken away from, my upbringing and birthright country, Germany. Uncomfortably sitting in the corner, surrounded by boxes that have never been unpacked, piling like mountains, bringing back the memories of the mountainous ranges near my hometown. A suggestion from my younger brother Eric, to look through my mother's old photo albums presents a good case.

Sitting under the yellow incandescent light bulb in the cold, still room, black and white photographs bring back the memories of my mothers childhood, and stimulate a period of contemplation of my life if we had stayed in Germany. Where would I be now? What would I have achieved by now apart from moving house seven times and starting my third high school? Would life be different if I have had a stable environment to settle into? Flicking through the images protected by plastic, a progression through the years displays the transformation of y grandparents and mother through the decades, and the growth of me, throughout my childhood.

Amidst passing through the pleasant memories of my youth in Germany, a faded sepia book slip out of one of the piles of photo albums resting on my lap. My younger brother is quick to grab the newly rediscovered object. Clearly aged and cherished, Eric slowly examines the exterior of the item before revealing a thrilled expression on his face.

“Check this out”, he says, passing the carefully bound together parchment pieces. With a quick glance across the cover of the book, it reveals the faded remnants of a fountain pen ink, hiding ta name, CLAUDIA. Opening the yellowed page, the delicate writings of an ink pen alleviated the suspense in the room.

“Diary - personal and private contents of C.W. permission required”

Looking up to see my brothers face gleaming, it is clear that we have come across my mother's diary”

Flicking through the endless diary entries, black and white photographs and filed letters received during the early 80s reveal my mother in her teenage years, around the age of 18, as i myself am at the moment.

Calls from the adjoining rooms indicate it is time for us to leave. Scrambling to conceal the discovery, i hid the diary under my crinkled leather jacket, just as my mother bust into the room, the old floorboards creaking beneath her weight. As if my telepathic communication, my brother and i turn towards each other,, agreeing to keep our find a secret. The hurried goodbyes on a chilly october night allow me to conceal the item under my jacket safely too the car.

Continued throughout the silence of the night, as all is calm and no one is awake, i slide out the diary and continue to read from  where i left off. Skimming through the pages with avidity, i am surprised to find pages filled up with lyrics of songs, letters sent from pen pals across Europe, photographs and diary entries encounting a teenage girl's life. A common theme, however, is present throughout all the lyrics and topics of conversation in the letters. Love.

I slowed as a particular poem in one entry’s caught my eye. Stuck onto the page, on a yellowed, coffee stained piece of paper, was a handwritten poem, one of distinctive font, my mother's font

“These feelings are crazy and all too confused
But that's how I feel when your heart’s been abused”

An unusual feeling in my heart brought the sudden realisation that i have felt similarly. The way that when we moved, all emotion had be torn from my body, leaving my friends and all connections behind, having to establish a new life, new foundations. All the emotions leaving me confused, as to how embrace the opportunity, yet i cannot forget what i have left behind. The words of the poem, resonating with my mind, it registers my mother has also had many difficulties inflicting her experiences growing up.

Struggling with my findings, I now know how my mother was so strong in assisting me and teaching me to be resilient through difficult times. She too, has faced many challenges and barriers to overcome, such have I, so I have to learn and appreciate the challenges to build strength. I now comprehend what has occurred, and appreciate my mother for all she has done for me.

Closing the diary, i feel content. At that moment i hear the handle only door open slowly as my mother enters the room. Suddenly she looks different. I smile and ask how her day was. Listening to her recount of events, i question what person i would be and what relationship i’d have with my mother if it weren't for our shared human experience about connection.

Just a heads up, there is a requirement of 15 posts per essay to be marked. You should post around, contribute some and then somebody here would mark it. If they aren't particularly busy you might be lucky enough though :) Post around regardless, it's an awesome community.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #550 on: March 10, 2017, 08:22:10 pm »
Just a heads up, there is a requirement of 15 posts per essay to be marked. You should post around, contribute some and then somebody here would mark it. If they aren't particularly busy you might be lucky enough though :) Post around regardless, it's an awesome community.

Thanks Wales, I forgot to do the reminder ;D

jama11 and sina_wildr99, welcome to the forums! As Wales said, we do have a requirement that you have 15 posts on ATAR Notes for every piece you'd like marked. This is just so the markers can keep up with demand and still be able to spend the 30 mins-1 hour we like to spend on giving feedback to each piece ;D

So hang around the forums! Ask questions, have a chat, and benefit from all the awesome resources. I'd be more than happy to give you some feedback once you hit the 15 post requirement ;D

eric11588

• Adventurer
« Reply #551 on: March 11, 2017, 10:40:06 pm »
Sorry this is going to be a repeat post from like the 7 minute post but I made 15 posts XD so yeh. Hi admin/marker/person who is gonna help me with this.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I have some feedback from my friends about this creative. All together
1.they didn't like the part about the bakery and flour because nobody would say that in real life.
 2. Towards the end of the story was a paragraph and my friends said it would be better that throughout the last part of the story it becomes shorter and shorter (not spoiling thee ending )
3. The character "Janis Joplin" and the setting. so for this I picked janis Joplin because the setting was based around like WW1 or 2 (when janis Joplin died) and my friends said why was there war in America and stuff like that so I need help on this one bad. I thought I put War in America because its a creative but apparently they didn't seem to like it.
4. They said my story  was like everywhere. They said they only fully understand my story because I explained to them about it. And they told me to try make it less complex which idk how.

So if anyone could help with my creative I would be so so so happy  I am struggling with this creative and I wanna get the best mark because my rank is like 199 or something out of 230. I WANT TO IMPROVE!!! )) Without further ado here is my creative (PS I cant think of a title for it so any suggestions would be great thanks <3 the ATAR Members you are awesome for helping me in many posts)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Sugar is sweet,
And so are you.
Written by Sir Edmund Spenser in the 1590, the rhyme has been repeated since the 19th century. Since then, every couple has deconstructed, reused, and rewritten the miniature poem to better suit their individual context. In her eyes, this notion of Love was just an illusion to bring sorrow into families’ lives.
“Next on the news is the death of a famous singer Janis Joplin, reporters claimed that Janis died in an accidental heroin overdose at a hotel in Hollywood’s Landmark Hotel. However, there is no hard evidence to prove this caused her death, it could be…Buzz”
The television turned off as the girl’s reflection emerges from it.
Staring into her eyes, I knew her loneliness; inside that body was a trapped soul who yearned for love but could never find what it is she was looking for. I put aside the remote and went to the shower to cleanse the sins I had committed. Reverently walking into the cleansing shower, every day I see that same girl who just wants to love, trapped in this body. Her childhood was just as bad as mine, almost exactly the same but she did not have any recollection of the vivid memories.
The sun rose from the ocean, passing its light through the gossamer, white curtains. Even the Sun could escape the deep sea, but why could I never escape the war? The ground growls with the synchronised stomping of a thousand men. The engine of the tank thunders across the streets; cutting the landscape into segments, sectors, and constructed lines.
They have arrived.
Our time is up.
Empty bullets clinking on the broken roads, glass shattering and barricaded doors falling. The screams of terror echo across the city as child is torn from mother to serve the military. They took my mother away and hid any evidence that led to their identity. I knew this for a fact, because I saw it with my own naked eyes. Walking into the Hollywood’s Landmark Hotel, to feel the cooling air splashing onto my skin like jumping into the ocean. My eyes were directed towards the soldier that seemed to be attacked. His right arm was covered in white and his face had small scratches at the front.
My hands laying onto his arms I asked “Are you all right?”
“Yeah, I found a couple of drug dealers and tried to chase them down. Unfortunately they were able to get away and threw a sack of flour on me while passing through a bakery store.”
We parted our ways as he turns his head with a smile. A smile of a criminal. But something made me feel uneasy, a soldier that chased drug dealers through a bakery store, there was not a single bakery store around the Hotel so how or even better yet why would he come here?
The lights flickered and I was transported to the 16th floor, having that scenario at the back of my mind made me wonder. I went to see my mother in the room 642 to find the door was open. She must have went out? Or maybe she was just talking to the cleaner? I approached to room to find white flour everywhere, lying on the filthy ground where my mother laid.
-
“Freeze! Put your hands in the air and don’t move!”
They were the murderers and I was the victim. To see my mother dead from the hands of a soldier is unforgivable. This country is full of lies. There is no such thing as the American dream.
Soldiers escorted me and the kidnapped families to the beach where we got on our knees staring at the beautiful sun.
“Don’t look behind you. Say your last prayers before you go to the underworld.”
Witnessing my mother’s death in front of my eyes made me want to burn them in hell. Never to exist in this country where lies were created by them.
The first victim fell to the ground…
Everyone screamed at the top of their lungs, begging for mercy, begging for freedom. In a world like this, there is no such thing as freedom.
Next the second…
I have no emotions to let out. Everything in my life had been taken by them. They made me suffer in loneliness.
After came the third…
Everyone started to cry, still in search for help. Families watching from the back begging them to stop. I have no one. Nobody in my life. My mother and I should have left this place a long time during her world tour. The guns reloaded.
“Ready. Aim. Fire!”
I was next in line.
I am ready. I will never see them again. I am glad this is happening to me. After all the troubles they put me through this was the least they could do to make me happy. The sun is sinking back into the ocean, where the dark had won over the light. I will be reunited with my mother again, who knows? I may have a family dinner again. God gave me this path and I shall follow it. God is giving me the chance to meet my family in the heavens.
*Guns reloading*
Wait for me mother. I am coming.

Wales

• Forum Leader
« Reply #552 on: March 12, 2017, 12:06:31 pm »

Spoiler

- Flashback to practice
- Modern Day
- End

Sorry to bother you again. The "Oh shit" paragraph you mentioned. How do you think the idea of dialogue between say the Mother and Piano teacher would be?

-
During the late night practice sessions when she would reprimand me, she would choke on her words. When she would hit me there would be a tinge of guilt residing in her bloodshot eyes. I could vividly recall the night when my mother was talking to my piano teacher in the other room.

“Why, why are you so harsh on him?”

“Do you think I can live with myself if I leave him like this? What if he fails school? What if he doesn’t find a job? The piano is his only saving grace and it is all that I can offer him..”

(My fingers softened ... )
-

Would it be more effective compared to the "Oh Shit paragraph"? Obviously the quote could be refined but I feel as if it completely renders the paragraph useless. I could follow that up directly with him softening his playing, directly implying he realises his mothers intentions?  On the one side I feel like cutting such a significant chunk of text feels wrong however I also feel the quote along with the next paragraph DIRECTLY implies everything the paragraph said and in perhaps a more effective manner. Also note I'm hitting 1200 words and need to cut down. My last creative was 1350 and I'm never attempting to write that word amount in 45 minutes again...

Cheers, Wales
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 12:08:14 pm by Wales »

stephjones

• Forum Regular
« Reply #553 on: March 12, 2017, 01:10:57 pm »
Hey! I don't need my creative marked (yet) but I was wondering about incorporating the stimulus. What actually classifies as a sophisticated inclusion of the stimulus? And if it's a quote that pretty much sums up the entire theme of your story, could you just include it as an opening quote or is that too basic?
HSC 2017 (ATAR - 98.40) - English Advanced (95), English Extension 1 (47), Mathematics (92), Mathematics Extension 1 (43), Modern History (92), Biology (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48)

USYD 2018 - Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical) and Bachelor of Arts

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #554 on: March 13, 2017, 02:57:52 pm »
Sorry this is going to be a repeat post from like the 7 minute post but I made 15 posts XD so yeh. Hi admin/marker/person who is gonna help me with this.
So if anyone could help with my creative I would be so so so happy  I am struggling with this creative and I wanna get the best mark because my rank is like 199 or something out of 230. I WANT TO IMPROVE!!! )) Without further ado here is my creative (PS I cant think of a title for it so any suggestions would be great thanks <3 the ATAR Members you are awesome for helping me in many posts)

Hey Eric! Would be happy to give you a hand with your Creative, I've attached it below in the spoiler with comments in bold:

Spoiler
Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Sugar is sweet,
And so are you.
Written by Sir Edmund Spenser in the 1590, the rhyme has been repeated since the 19th century. Since then, every couple has deconstructed, reused, and rewritten the miniature poem to better suit their individual context. In her eyes, this notion of Love was just an illusion to bring sorrow into families’ lives. Very interesting start - Reflective. It sets up a third person omnipotent narrator, meaning, this seems like it comes from a narrator who knows the story already. Definitely sets intrigue!
“Next on the news is the death of a famous singer Janis Joplin, reporters claimed that Janis died in an accidental heroin overdose at a hotel in Hollywood’s Landmark Hotel. However, there is no hard evidence to prove this caused her death, it could be…Buzz” I'd not include the 'buzz' here, it just seems awkward. Perhaps amend the next part with "The television crackled into lifelessness as the girl's..." or something, if you want the noise there.

The television turned off as the girl’s reflection emerges from it.

Staring into her eyes, I knew her loneliness; inside that body was a trapped soul who yearned for love but could never find what it is she was looking for. I put aside the remote and went to the shower to cleanse the sins I had committed. Reverently walking into the cleansing shower, every day I see that same girl who just wants to love, trapped in this body. Her childhood was just as bad as mine, almost exactly the same but she did not have any recollection of the vivid memories. So this paragraph is interesting - You're trying to set up story arcs. Problem is, you are TELLING, when you should try to be SHOWING. Don't tell me that this character wants to love, show me that they do. Give me flashbacks or internal reflection or something that shows me this, without just saying it directly.
The sun rose from the ocean, passing its light through the gossamer, white curtains. Even the Sun could escape the deep sea, but why could I never escape the war? The ground growls with the synchronised stomping of a thousand men. The engine of the tank thunders across the streets; cutting the landscape into segments, sectors, and constructed lines. I'm a little confused as to how this fits with the previous parts of the story - We are very fragmented. There is no indication as to how the different sections are fitting together.
They have arrived.
Our time is up. Nice play on sentence length here.
Empty bullets clinking on the broken roads, glass shattering and barricaded doors falling. The screams of terror echo across the city as child is torn from mother to serve the military. Excellent use of auditory imagery there. They took my mother away and hid any evidence that led to their identity. I knew this for a fact, because I saw it with my own naked eyes. Walking into the Hollywood’s Landmark Hotel, to feel the cooling air splashing onto my skin like jumping into the ocean. My eyes were directed towards the soldier that seemed to be attacked. His right arm was covered in white and his face had small scratches at the front.
My hands laying onto his arms I asked “Are you all right?”
“Yeah, I found a couple of drug dealers and tried to chase them down. Unfortunately they were able to get away and threw a sack of flour on me while passing through a bakery store.” Try to think when writing dialogue, "Is this really what they would say?" The word choices here, particularly 'unfortunately,' just don't seem natural for an injured soldier. It's too formal, too 'speechy.' Try to always write dialogue that would be sensible in the given situation.
We parted our ways as he turns his head with a smile. A smile of a criminal. But something made me feel uneasy, a soldier that chased drug dealers through a bakery store, there was not a single bakery store around the Hotel so how or even better yet why would he come here? This is a very PLOT driven narrative - There's a lot happening here, and you have to explain a LOT to the reader to keep them in the loop. In general, you don't want to be needing to just present information to the reader for the story to make sense. The story should play out and the reader should be able to fill in the gaps themselves.
The lights flickered and I was transported to the 16th floor, having that scenario at the back of my mind made me wonder. I went to see my mother in the room 642 to find the door was open. She must have went out? Or maybe she was just talking to the cleaner? I approached to room to find white flour everywhere, lying on the filthy ground where my mother laid.
-
“Freeze! Put your hands in the air and don’t move!” I'd like to see you describe HOW this was said, given it is such a key line.
They were the murderers and I was the victim. To see my mother dead from the hands of a soldier is unforgivable. This country is full of lies. There is no such thing as the American dream. This is a lot of information - I feel like I'm being overloaded with concepts and ideas and none of them are getting the chance to fully be appreciated
Soldiers escorted me and the kidnapped families to the beach where we got on our knees staring at the beautiful sun.
“Don’t look behind you. Say your last prayers before you go to the underworld.” Again - Watch for realistic dialogue.
Witnessing my mother’s death in front of my eyes made me want to burn them in hell. Never to exist in this country where lies were created by them.
The first victim fell to the ground…
Everyone screamed at the top of their lungs, begging for mercy, begging for freedom. In a world like this, there is no such thing as freedom.
Next the second…
I have no emotions to let out. Everything in my life had been taken by them. They made me suffer in loneliness.
After came the third… I like what you are doing here with the count and the ellipsis, with the reflection in between. That's really powerful!
Everyone started to cry, still in search for help. Families watching from the back begging them to stop. I have no one. Nobody in my life. My mother and I should have left this place a long time during her world tour. The guns reloaded.
“Ready. Aim. Fire!” Realistic dialogue - This seems cheesy.
I was next in line.
I am ready. I will never see them again. I am glad this is happening to me. After all the troubles they put me through this was the least they could do to make me happy. The sun is sinking back into the ocean, where the dark had won over the light. I will be reunited with my mother again, who knows? I may have a family dinner again. God gave me this path and I shall follow it. God is giving me the chance to meet my family in the heavens.
*Guns reloading* This sort of 'sound description' doesn't work in a narrative - It only really works in plays. Replace it with "I heard the clicks as the guns were reloaded." or something.
Wait for me mother. I am coming.

So to respond to the bits of feedback you were given (which I've ignored until now, wanted to start fresh):

So I have some feedback from my friends about this creative. All together
1.they didn't like the part about the bakery and flour because nobody would say that in real life.
 2. Towards the end of the story was a paragraph and my friends said it would be better that throughout the last part of the story it becomes shorter and shorter (not spoiling thee ending )
3. The character "Janis Joplin" and the setting. so for this I picked janis Joplin because the setting was based around like WW1 or 2 (when janis Joplin died) and my friends said why was there war in America and stuff like that so I need help on this one bad. I thought I put War in America because its a creative but apparently they didn't seem to like it.
4. They said my story  was like everywhere. They said they only fully understand my story because I explained to them about it. And they told me to try make it less complex which idk how.

1. Yep, I picked this up too. See above. The situation is a bit far fetched, but further, how it was said just didn't seem like a natural piece of speech, given the character.
2. I do think the last part of the story should be broken up, to create some tension and suspense. It's the most powerful part of the story by far.
3. The inclusion of Janis Joplin really didn't make sense to me - I've no issue with the setting itself but it doesn't quite fit in with the greater narrative?
4. I definitely agree - The parts of your story don't really fit together. How does the poem at the start link to the rest of the story? How does the short part with the television relate to the later narrative?

Basically I think you have two things to work on. It's not your writing style - You are doing some powerful things with language, particularly towards the end.

First, I agree with the feedback you were given that the story is "everywhere." There isn't a cohesive flow through the whole thing; I was only able to start following along when the character walked into the hotel. You definitely need to drastically simplify - Unfortunately, I don't think your story idea in its current form will work. There are too many elements, and it is very PLOT driven (meaning you spend a lot of time explaining what is happening, rather than focusing on conceptual Discovery stuff). You can definitely use aspects of the story, but I have to be honest with you and say that right now the story just has too much going on to be conceptually effective :)

Go right back to bare bones. What you were doing at the execution scene in the end there was FANTASTIC - Why don't you make that the whole story? Have the character waiting to be killed and reflecting on their life, their mother, their country - The same ideas you explored in your story but purely through flashbacks and reflection in that one scene. That is much simpler, and much less plot driven (The plot is, "Character is going to die and is reflecting on stuff" Almost no time spent one explaining that, all your time spent on Discovery!)

And that's the 2nd issue - conceptual strength. You don't have a clear Discovery concept. You give sprinkles of it in places, but again there is just too much going on for it to get the attention it needs.

Simplifying your story will do wonders. Remove the complicated plot elements, remember to show and not tell, and focus on a simple scenario that maximises the time you can spend writing conceptually. You are an effective writer - You just need to adjust WHAT you are writing ;D