Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 05:48:20 am

Author Topic: English tips  (Read 385 times)  Share 

Julian27

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +1
English tips
« on: February 16, 2021, 08:49:31 am »
+5
Since I have been getting some questions about the ways I revise for VCE English and some tips/tricks, I thought I would summarise and share then below :) Hope these help (I will update this post in the following days)

My biggest tip for English: CRAFT ESSAYS OVER WRITING ESSAYS - what I mean by this to try and 'perfect' one essay (does not mean 100%, but just make sure it's of high quality) before moving on the next, otherwise it is likely that the same mistakes will be made. This does not mean spending all your time on one essay and not trying out other topics, but it is good to produce a high-quality piece of writing so you know what examiners are looking for.

It is completely normal for the process to take longer than one hour. Just as a reference, I would spend sometimes a week just on one essay. But you might be wondering, isn't that inefficient? Well, I like to think of it as an investment of time - if I put in the effort into perfecting one essay, it is going to carry over into other essays. And if you are lucky, you may find that a lot of essay topics have very similar structures so you can reuse sentences or even paragraphs (with the topic obviously in mind :)) This is what allowed me to produce the same quality of writing in the exam like the ones I would do as practice at home.

Tips to improve timing: the best way is to practice (it's cliched but it works), other tips that I found useful was to use pens that are suitable for you e.g. I found using Muji pens to be very good (not a sponsor) and with the help of a pen grip, I could write faster than I could with regular pens.

How many essays in the lead up to SAC / exams? I did about 7-8 essays + some extra essay plans in the lead up to each sac although you don't need to do as much to do well. This was all the revision I would do because writing is always the best way to prepare. As for the exam, I mainly focused on essay plans because I already had a couple of generic essays 'memorised' and ready to be adapted to fresh topics.

Hope this helps, let me know if anyone has any other questions:)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 02:50:18 pm by Julian27 »