Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 07:44:05 pm

Author Topic: Ultimate Dilemma!!!  (Read 1062 times)  Share 

hegihugo

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
Ultimate Dilemma!!!
« on: December 17, 2017, 07:29:50 pm »
Hey,

I'm studying for the Year 10 entry, and I was wondering if anybody could give me some pointers on tutoring. I was looking at Henderson's, but to get the whole course (Comprehension, Verbal reasoning, Numerical reasoning etc.) would be close to $2500. So, I was wondering, which courses do you think are most important. For instance, I'm thinking of not doing the two writing courses and mathematics course, as I have ATAR notes for marking my essays/stories and I do very well in Maths (already attend tutoring for maths, albeit, I did find the maths section for the exam extremely hard). So just wondering which courses do you think are most worthwhile?

Hugo

_jen_012.x

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
Re: Ultimate Dilemma!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 07:14:26 am »
Maths and a Comprehension should be your most important. Essays can be marked here or at school. It's really about speed and accuracy on the exams for numerical reasoning
class of 21’

subjects: glopol (2020) english economics philosophy further

Phoenix11

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +29
Re: Ultimate Dilemma!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 01:56:45 pm »
+2
Hello!  :)
The Hendersons Reading Comprehension course is really good, in my opinion.
I mean, it shows you how to absorb the key details from seemingly-worthless sentences and other key tips that are important for the selective school, especially because the texts are long and you need to be able to scan for important details.

Since you already go to math tutoring, you don't need to worry about the Hendersons Math Course.

For verbal reasoning, they basically tell you how to go about doing different types of questions. For example, they have big lists of root words, suffixes and prefixes that will be very useful in the exam. Instead of memorising all the vocabulary words, it would be way easier to understand the roots, suffixes and prefixes so that you can easily figure out the meaning of words. Although, then again you can get lists of root words and such from online.

Since you have ATARNotes for writing, you don't need to worry about that.

For numerical reasoning, they give you ways and tips to figure out specific patterns or solve word problems.

Overall, Reading Comprehension and the essay feedback they gave was the most beneficial for me!
I hope this helped and if you have questions, feel free to ask!
 :) :)
Phoenix11-
Work hard in silence and let your success be your noise.
😄