Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 14, 2024, 08:40:07 am

Author Topic: Internationalism and international trade  (Read 888 times)  Share 

izzykose

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Internationalism and international trade
« on: March 05, 2011, 11:33:36 pm »
Discuss the extent to which internationalism has affected international trade.

I literally cant think of any case studies/points for this extended response. I could do this if it referred to globalisation but not internationalism. HELP.

Discuss how international organisations promote globalisation.

Point One: IMF promotes globalisation, through imposing key economic reforms such as privitisation, austerity, deregulation and trade liberalism on economies in order to raise GDP. Case study IMF and Ireland. Perhaps can someone suggest for the IMF does not promote globalisation?

Point Two: The WTO : Can someone help me expand.

Thanks so much if you can help.
2011:

Psychology [45], Legal Studies [42], English [43], History Revolutions [34], International Studies [33 :(]

2011 ATAR- 93.80

saaaaaam

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +7
Re: Internationalism and international trade
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 12:24:34 am »
Like you've already said, there is a lot lot lot more on the effects of globalization on trade than internationalism. However this is what I had saved on the computer:

Effects of Internationalism on Trade

1. Encourages states to work together to establish equitable rules for trading for all.
Epitomized by the World Trade Organization, as one of their roles is to regulate trade throughout the world.

They have been able to effectively resolve disputes between states regarding trade. They have been able to effectively resolve over 300 cases. However the extent to which they have been able to establish ‘equitable rules for trading for all’ is debatable, especially after the failure of the DOHA conference.

2. Provides a mechanism for resolving trading disputes which can protect weaker economies.
WTO members have agreed that, if they believe fellow-members are violating trade rules, they will use the multilateral system of settling disputes instead of taking action unilaterally

3. The establishment of regional trading blocs provides smaller states with a greater opportunity to trade.   
The European Union - members of the EU have a single market with a single currency. The trade division of the European Commission’s aim in regards to their trade policy, is to ensure the continued prosperity, solidarity and security in Europe (and around the globe). Therefore this protects some of the economically weaker members of the EU.

The dreams that you dare to dream really do come true.