Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:18:07 pm

Author Topic: An open letter to anyone wanting to do 2+ art subjects in VCE soon  (Read 6515 times)  Share 

kusamakusama

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +10
+28
All my life, I knew art was something worth living for. It took me a while to believe in myself to pursue it. My family felt uncomfortable (reminding you I come from an Asian family...lol) to the fact that I wanted to do three art subjects in Year 12 from its low scaling. I read so many forums and past VCE Discussion Page posts about doing 2+ art subjects and mainly heard so many negative responses. It discouraged me for a bit and I imagined others felt the same. I even got a bit of discouragement from an art teacher in Year 11 but, I reminded myself that I loved art and that it meant a lot to me so, I chose three art subjects this year regardless. I can confidently say, I do not have any regrets. I am living proof you can do so well in VCE doing art subjects.

It really saddens me when people discourage students from doing art subjects. Yes, there was a lot of physical work, stress and many sleepless nights involved but if you love art, why should it all stop you? Personally, in doing three art subjects, I learnt so much beyond the books. If I were to list it, this post would be 3000 words and I知 so excited for anyone doing media/art/studio arts to go through the same priceless process (just wait, you will know what I知 talking about ;)). This is not some kind of cheesy speech but rather, my total encouragement to be unapologetically passionate about VCE visual arts. I encourage everyone to pick subjects that they love rather for study score scaling. This is just something I wish someone told me when I was spiralling around in doubt.

All of my subjects scaled down but every single art subject I took was a class I was excited about. I ended up with a 96.20 ATAR with all of my primary's being art subjects. For my circumstance, I didn't need an ATAR for my course and I see more value in the stuff I learnt than a ranking but the 96 really was a vindication of doing subjects for love. I left school with three personal and beautiful artworks that reflected my unique perspective in life and you can too so please, ignore the hate and do as many art subject you want to do!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 11:21:28 pm by kusamakusama »

lilyrosee

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +25
Re: An open letter to anyone wanting to do 2+ folios in VCE soon
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 10:50:59 pm »
+3
All my life, I knew art was something worth living for. It took me a while to believe in myself to pursue it. My family felt uncomfortable (reminding you I come from an Asian family...lol) to the fact that I wanted to do three art subjects in Year 12 from its low scaling. I read so many forums and past VCE Discussion Page posts about doing 2+ art subjects and mainly heard so many negative responses. It discouraged me for a bit and I imagined others felt the same. I even got a bit of discouragement from an art teacher in Year 11 but, I reminded myself that I loved art and that it meant a lot to me so, I chose three art subjects this year regardless. I can confidently say, I do not have any regrets. I am living proof you can do so well in VCE doing art subjects.

It really saddens me when people discourage students from doing art subjects. Yes, there was a lot of physical work, stress and many sleepless nights involved but if you love art, why should it all stop you? Personally, in doing three art subjects, I learnt so much beyond the books. If I were to list it, this post would be 3000 words and I知 so excited for anyone doing media/art/studio arts to go through the same priceless process (just wait, you will know what I知 talking about ;)). This is not some kind of cheesy speech but rather, my total encouragement to be unapologetically passionate about VCE visual arts. I encourage everyone to pick subjects that they love rather for study score scaling. This is just something I wish someone told me when I was spiralling around in doubt.

All of my subjects scaled down but every single art subject I took was a class I was excited about. I ended up with a 96.20 ATAR with all of my primary's being art subjects. For my circumstance, I didn't need an ATAR for my course and I see more value in the stuff I learnt than a ranking but the 96 really was a vindication of doing subjects for love. I left school with three personal and beautiful artworks that reflected my unique perspective in life and you can too so please, ignore the hate and do as many art subject you want to do!

I wish I could upvote this more than once! A beautiful message for future students. I feel as though there is a lot of inadvertent stigma surrounding Arts subjects in VCE. I totally agree with you, I am a firm believer in choosing subjects you are passionate about which is what I did and I achieved a 96.00 ATAR :)
2016: Psychology
2017: English [47] | Literature | Drama [42] | Media | Australian History [43]
2018 - 2020: Bachelor of Arts @ the University of Melbourne

VCE English Essay Marking $10 per essay or 3 essays for $20 - DM for details

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Re: An open letter to anyone wanting to do 2+ folios in VCE soon
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 11:09:44 pm »
+3

I honestly love reading this and even though i'm not the biggest fan of art, this was lovely.
I'm a firm believer in doing what your passionate about, always.
It may scale down, but so what? At least you're doing what you love!!
Good on you for following your dreams and i wish you luck in all your future endeavors  :)
Follow your passion!  ;D
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU