Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 01:13:22 am

Author Topic: UMAT  (Read 17100 times)  Share 

bonghead

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
UMAT
« on: November 13, 2007, 08:47:54 pm »
Has anyone done the Umat this year? If so what were your results like?  What thoughts do you have about the integrety/validity of the test?
ims:   Enter~95

kido_1

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
UMAT
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 08:55:34 pm »
The UMAT is pretty wierd/retarded/luck/no luck test.
oping for an ENTER of 99+

positive_viv

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
UMAT
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 09:03:54 pm »
+1
Yeah, true that. I didn't do the UMAT but I had quite a few friends who did. One worked her butt off because she really wanted to get into Med. and got a pretty disappointing score. The other one did it just because he could, winged it, and got a really good score that could get him into Med. if he wanted - though he doesn't want to. I don't think the UMAT's a very good indicator of hard work which is a shame because I know quite a lot of people who would make amazing doctors (or any other profession that requires a good UMAT score) through sheer hard work. I could be wrong here, but it shouldn't be about somebody's ability to pick out the odd shape or whatever else. For that matter, I don't think it's necessarily a very good indicator of somebody's intelligence either. I know somebody who got a 99 raw as an ENTER and is pretty much the lovechild of Einstein and well, whoever else is smart hahaha and got a pretty shoddy UMAT score.

One friend summed up the UMAT as: 'you've either got it, or you don't.' It sounded a bit defeatist to me but I really can't judge since I haven't done it myself.

bonghead

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
UMAT
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 09:06:04 pm »
i hated it because i went really badly in it which has screwed me up for uni. I believe some of the questions in section 2 are open to personal interpretation. And section 3 wtf how is it relevant to real life not to mention health science.

bonghead

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
UMAT
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 09:12:51 pm »
+1
Quote from: "positive_viv"
Yeah, true that. I didn't do the UMAT but I had quite a few friends who did. One worked her butt off because she really wanted to get into Med. and got a pretty disappointing score. The other one did it just because he could, winged it, and got a really good score that could get him into Med. if he wanted - though he doesn't want to. I don't think the UMAT's a very good indicator of hard work which is a shame because I know quite a lot of people who would make amazing doctors (or any other profession that requires a good UMAT score) through sheer hard work. I could be wrong here, but it shouldn't be about somebody's ability to pick out the odd shape or whatever else. For that matter, I don't think it's necessarily a very good indicator of somebody's intelligence either. I know somebody who got a 99 raw as an ENTER and is pretty much the lovechild of Einstein and well, whoever else is smart hahaha and got a pretty shoddy UMAT score.

One friend summed up the UMAT as: 'you've either got it, or you don't.' It sounded a bit defeatist to me but I really can't judge since I haven't done it myself.

I could not agree more with everything you said.

bonghead

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
UMAT
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 09:15:13 pm »
Do you think its possible to prepare for the questions on the Umat?
Would it really help?  
Theres been a shitload of controversial opinions and veiws expressed by various sources and im not sure who to believe.

positive_viv

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
UMAT
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 09:22:54 pm »
Quote from: "bonghead"
Would it really help?  
Theres been a shitload of controversial opinions and veiws expressed by various sources and im not sure who to believe.

I'm not sure. My friend who worked her butt off did that whole UMAT preparation thing last year AND this year. I saw her going nuts over all these questions and she didn't really get a good UMAT score. Not a horrible one, mind you, but it wasn't one that could get her into Med. And, like I said, the one who got that awesome score did diddly squat. But there are heaps of other factors that could come into that, I suppose. I guess you could probably prepare in the sense that you should probably get used to the questions so that you get in the right frame of mind for answering them. Maybe learn to think more analytically or logically or whatever that thing tests...however, in the end, the questions are going to be different to the questions that you practise. It's pretty much like doing an IQ test, in my opinion. Can't really study for that.

Hehe, sorry. That's not really helpful. I think, however, that if you want it really bad, you may as well do the preparation. There's no harm in trying :)

bonghead

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
UMAT
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 09:36:34 pm »
That must be dissapointing for your friend. Is she still going to get into med. What ranking did she get/need? I only got in the bottom 30% and i needed to get into the top 20% for pharmacy  :shock: lol at least ill take a gap year next year and have another go at the umat.

positive_viv

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
UMAT
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 09:45:50 pm »
That must be dissapointing for your friend. Is she still going to get into med. What ranking did she get/need? I only got in the bottom 30% and i needed to get into the top 20% for pharmacy  :shock: lol at least ill take a gap year next year and have another go at the umat.

She's set her sights on behavioural neuroscience now. I'm not sure, sorry. I didn't really ask because she didn't seem like she was in the mood to tell me. She called and she sounded really bummed and said she got herself a really bad UMAT score and nowhere near what she needed to get. And then we left it at that and then we changed subject because she didn't want to dwell on it anymore. She WAS disappointed, but she says that behavioural neuroscience could be one avenue that would take her into Med. so she hasn't given up hope :]

Yeah, go for it :) I wish you all the best. I'm sure you'll do well :):):)

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
UMAT
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 09:59:55 pm »
Would it really help?  

I did it this year ... I hated it so much. Stupid thing lol

I did the medentry prep course ... it helped me in that I was exposed to lots and lots of possible questions ... not to mention a few of the medentry practice qs somehow ended up on the real UMAT :P ... however despite spending all that money on that course I still somehow completely misjudged my time and ended up literally guessing half of the exam (since once a section is over you're not allowed to go back to it at all, I just coloured in random circles lol :()

In the end it's up to you and whether you're willing to spend that much money on a course which might not end up actually helping you. I know people who didn't do a course and ended up getting scholarships for medicine. However I also know people who did the course and did awesomely.

Good luck :)
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

sabrina

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
UMAT
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 10:04:26 pm »
ninwa:: howdy fellow medentry student. I too was surprised at the repeated question though it did take me a few seconds to register where i'd seen them before.

Well... i supose there is the gamsat to look forward to for some of us lol  :(

ninwa

UMAT
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 10:24:22 pm »
Quote from: "sabrina"
ninwa:: howdy fellow medentry student. I too was surprised at the repeated question though it did take me a few seconds to register where i'd seen them before.

Well... i supose there is the gamsat to look forward to for some of us lol  :(

hello :)
lol, I saw those qs and I sat there smirking :P and wasting time :(

what on earth is the gamsat? it doesn't sound very nice ...

AkirA

UMAT
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 10:44:44 pm »
I didn't do any prep course. Ideally the UMAT is to predict your intelligence regardless of hard work - your 'stock' abilities if i may put it as that. I got a near perfect UMAT score so i guess i'm in a good position for Med.

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
UMAT
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 11:33:40 pm »
I don't really understand the point of the UMAT. Seems like a weird selection criteria to have. Oh well, if it's the university's decision to select based on it, they have the right to.

ninwa

UMAT
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 12:42:48 am »
Quote from: "coblin"
I don't really understand the point of the UMAT. Seems like a weird selection criteria to have. Oh well, if it's the university's decision to select based on it, they have the right to.

I get the point of it: to select people who aren't just smart, but also have the traits a doctor is supposed to have, e.g. empathy, problem solving etc.

I just don't get how the UMAT is an indicator of being a "good doctor" later on. I know a couple of people who would be wonderful doctors, far more passionate about it than I am, and would probably make better doctors than me, who didn't do as well on the UMAT. Seems to me the UMAT is almost cutting out as many potential doctors as it is selecting.

/rant

sorry, I just really don't like the idea of the UMAT :P