Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 05, 2024, 03:36:23 am

Author Topic: Extension 1 - Romanticism  (Read 45402 times)  Share 

shaninemoodley

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Extension 1 - Romanticism
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2017, 01:26:45 pm »
Hi!

For Ext, I'm studying:
Wordswoth: Ode: There was a time and Surprised by Joy - Impatient as the Wind
Frankenstein
Vindication for the Rights of Women
And my related texts include Les Miserables (the 2012 film/musical) for Wordsworth and Compensation (an essay by Ralph Waldo Emerson) for Franknestein
For trials, my teacher was hinting that the question would be focused on aspects of light and dark or the importance of nature.

I'm at a loss as to how Vindication really links into either of these topics. I asked her about both and she didn't really have a repsonse to either of them...
Thanks,
Shanine

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2017, 09:03:26 am »
Hi!

For Ext, I'm studying:
Wordswoth: Ode: There was a time and Surprised by Joy - Impatient as the Wind
Frankenstein
Vindication for the Rights of Women
And my related texts include Les Miserables (the 2012 film/musical) for Wordsworth and Compensation (an essay by Ralph Waldo Emerson) for Franknestein
For trials, my teacher was hinting that the question would be focused on aspects of light and dark or the importance of nature.

I'm at a loss as to how Vindication really links into either of these topics. I asked her about both and she didn't really have a repsonse to either of them...
Thanks,
Shanine

Hey there!
Sounds like your trial question could be very similar to last years HSC question. I think the best way to link this to Vindication would be to ask: what types of darkness is Wollstonecraft facing (ie. patriarchy, class structure) in her time? How does she challenge these issues, and thus, find the light within them?
Currently offering tutoring, send me a PM or email me at [email protected]
AdvEng: 100 (1st in State) - ExtEng: 49/50 - EarthEnviroScience: 95/100 (7th in State) - Modern History: 95/100 - Legal Studies: 96/100 Studies of Religion: 47/50

ATAR: 99.85
Studying Arts/Law at Sydney University

shaninemoodley

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2017, 02:05:49 pm »
Hey there!
Sounds like your trial question could be very similar to last years HSC question. I think the best way to link this to Vindication would be to ask: what types of darkness is Wollstonecraft facing (ie. patriarchy, class structure) in her time? How does she challenge these issues, and thus, find the light within them?

Thank you!
And actually, my first assessment for this year actually was the 2016 HSC question.
Also, my teacher said (yesterday - the trial being tomorrow), that in the essay, we would either use Wordsworth and Frankenstein (plus ORT) or Frankenstein and Vindication. Yet she told us ages ago that we wouldn't need an ORT for vindication. So for trials, we aren't required to have two ORT if using Frankenstein and Vindication but for the HSC, what sort of text would you recommend using?
Thanks again :)

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2017, 09:09:18 pm »
Thank you!
And actually, my first assessment for this year actually was the 2016 HSC question.
Also, my teacher said (yesterday - the trial being tomorrow), that in the essay, we would either use Wordsworth and Frankenstein (plus ORT) or Frankenstein and Vindication. Yet she told us ages ago that we wouldn't need an ORT for vindication. So for trials, we aren't required to have two ORT if using Frankenstein and Vindication but for the HSC, what sort of text would you recommend using?
Thanks again :)

I would suggest using a poem, since that's a form you won't have covered in the prescribed texts you're using :)
AdvEng: 100 (1st in State) - ExtEng: 49/50 - EarthEnviroScience: 95/100 (7th in State) - Modern History: 95/100 - Legal Studies: 96/100 Studies of Religion: 47/50

shaninemoodley

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2017, 09:26:32 pm »
I would suggest using a poem, since that's a form you won't have covered in the prescribed texts you're using :)

I actually try to avoid poems if possible, especially since I'm doing two for Wordsworth: 'Surprised by Joy' and 'Ode (There was a time)'
But I'll definitely have a look into it after trials
Thanks again  :)

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2017, 09:49:10 pm »
Hey I was just wondering what the human experience entails in the Romantic movement as I can't find much online.

Thank you :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 10:38:24 pm by dancing phalanges »
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

shaninemoodley

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2017, 10:14:31 pm »
+2
Hey I was just wondering with the light and dark question - how should I approach this for Frankenstein (if talking about Shelley's warning against the Romantic overreacher) and Coleridge's Lime Tree Bower (do I talk about the fact he was forced to stay home instead of going out into nature and hence this allowed him to use his imagination etc?)

I was also wondering what the human experience entails in the Romantic movement as I can't find much online.

Thank you :)

Hey - I'm no genuis but I did the light and dark question for an assessment and got 18/20 for it - I didn't do Frankenstein for it but maybe consider how light and dark co-exist within the novel e.g. maybe focus on character's or how the perceive things like nature (I know that Victor regards nature with reverence before he comes across the monster again and the monster hates everything so he doesn't perceive it with the same wonder and awe) - and that ultimately, ONE monster is created between the two (the gothic doppelganger) -  and how through the duality of both characters audiences can see the significant changes within the characters which (somehow) mirror the thoughts of the time?
I have no idea if any of this makes sense?
Hope this helps because this is my current level of procrastination haha :)

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2017, 10:17:56 pm »
+1
Hey - I'm no genuis but I did the light and dark question for an assessment and got 18/20 for it - I didn't do Frankenstein for it but maybe consider how light and dark co-exist within the novel e.g. maybe focus on character's or how the perceive things like nature (I know that Victor regards nature with reverence before he comes across the monster again and the monster hates everything so he doesn't perceive it with the same wonder and awe) - and that ultimately, ONE monster is created between the two (the gothic doppelganger) -  and how through the duality of both characters audiences can see the significant changes within the characters which (somehow) mirror the thoughts of the time?
I have no idea if any of this makes sense?
Hope this helps because this is my current level of procrastination haha :)

Ah yeah I completely get what you are saying - I just wanted to stick to arguing that Frankenstein is a warning against the overly ambitious individual (sorta prepreparing haha) but your ideas are definitely good! I think maybe for what I am trying to argue I might say that in terms of how light can only be understood with the wisdom of darkness - that Shelley through Victor Frankenstein represents the importance of the idealistic individual (light) in the romantic movement yet through Victor's death and the monster he creates (darkness) she allows for a greater understanding of the 'light' in terms of the limitations of humanity's creative powers within the natural world. Something like that so sorta off what you said :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 10:23:35 pm by dancing phalanges »
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

Leah_Mer

• Adventurer
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2017, 05:11:47 pm »
Hello there! I'm currently working on my essay component for the HSC, I'm hoping for an experienced opinion on whether this is the most sophisticated way I can approach Romanticism because I'm really passionate about it and want to do well. My prescribed texts are Jane Campion's Bright Star and Frankenstein, and for ORTs I was planning on doing the poetry of John Keats and Songs of Innocence and Experience by William Blake, using the Echoing Green and the Tyger. Is it going to detract from my marks only using poetry as ORTs? And my other major question is how many 'ways of thinking' should I have, if each way of thinking is a paragraph, in terms of structuring my essay? i.e. rejection of constraints on the individual, appreciation of beauty and the sublime, reverence for the natural world... is this the best thing to base paragraphs around? and 3 or 4? Thanks so much!

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2017, 05:36:29 pm »
Hello there! I'm currently working on my essay component for the HSC, I'm hoping for an experienced opinion on whether this is the most sophisticated way I can approach Romanticism because I'm really passionate about it and want to do well. My prescribed texts are Jane Campion's Bright Star and Frankenstein, and for ORTs I was planning on doing the poetry of John Keats and Songs of Innocence and Experience by William Blake, using the Echoing Green and the Tyger. Is it going to detract from my marks only using poetry as ORTs? And my other major question is how many 'ways of thinking' should I have, if each way of thinking is a paragraph, in terms of structuring my essay? i.e. rejection of constraints on the individual, appreciation of beauty and the sublime, reverence for the natural world... is this the best thing to base paragraphs around? and 3 or 4? Thanks so much!

Hey there!
I would suggest having ORTs that have different forms. Though its not going to hurt you greatly, it still may be the difference between an E3 and E4 response in extension.
As for the 'ways of thinking' you described, I would have one of those as the basis for each paragraph/pairing of texts. I would then usually have three 'ways of thinking' per essay.

Leah_Mer

• Adventurer
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2017, 05:49:57 pm »
Hey there!
I would suggest having ORTs that have different forms. Though its not going to hurt you greatly, it still may be the difference between an E3 and E4 response in extension.
As for the 'ways of thinking' you described, I would have one of those as the basis for each paragraph/pairing of texts. I would then usually have three 'ways of thinking' per essay.
Thanks so much! Its a big help :)

Leah_Mer

• Adventurer
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2017, 05:56:42 pm »
Just one more question! So if I'm doing 3 'ways of thinking' based paragraphs, does it matter if two of my texts only appear in 1 paragraph, while others appear twice? i.e.
P1 Bright Star + ORT 1
P2 Frankenstein + ORT 2
P3 ORT 1 + Frankenstein

Would it be better to try and put some Bright Star and ORT 2 into other paragraphs as a third text?

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2017, 06:13:40 pm »
Just one more question! So if I'm doing 3 'ways of thinking' based paragraphs, does it matter if two of my texts only appear in 1 paragraph, while others appear twice? i.e.
P1 Bright Star + ORT 1
P2 Frankenstein + ORT 2
P3 ORT 1 + Frankenstein

Would it be better to try and put some Bright Star and ORT 2 into other paragraphs as a third text?
I would usually try to talk about all texts in the third paragraph, as it would regularly target a major 'way of thinking' (ie. yearning for coherence, unity and meaning). This is because you do want to try and talk about all of your texts equally.

Ellie__

• Trailblazer
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2017, 04:47:34 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm struggling to find critics (beside Hampson) to go with my idea that Nature can be both Benign and Tyrannical

Can anyone please help??

Thankyou

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2017, 09:30:57 am »
+1
Hi everyone,

I'm struggling to find critics (beside Hampson) to go with my idea that Nature can be both Benign and Tyrannical

Can anyone please help??

Thankyou

Hey Ellie!
Remember that the marks your response is going to receive will not be determined by the amount of scholars you squeeze into your response, so don't stress too much about finding multiple critics for the one idea.

Unfortunately, I don't have any scholars on this concept. Can anyone else help?