Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 04:10:42 am

Author Topic: Chemistry 2 summer - Should I withdraw again?  (Read 1923 times)  Share 

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
Chemistry 2 summer - Should I withdraw again?
« on: February 11, 2015, 09:02:57 pm »
It's my 3rd time doing this subject. I did it summer last year, but had to withdraw due to a surgery. Then last semester, and had to drop early it because of my other subjects. Now I'm doing it again, and due to family commitments I've entirely neglected summer.

The exam is in one week, and I do not know the course material. It's not like highschool where I could just practice exam questions with detailed answers, there's hardly anything like that.

So, is there anything out there that could help me? I'm happy with a 50% total, but am I being unrealistic? I don't even know where to start, chemcal didn't help much at all. My last resort before withdrawing again would be to hire a tutor and have him go through the past exams with me, that way at least I'll have some skills to pass the exam, but that would cost 1000s and I'd probably not grasp enough concepts.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 09:12:42 pm by 8039 »

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
Re: Chemistry 2 summer - Should I withdraw again?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 10:58:01 pm »
https://handbook.unimelb.edu.au/view/2015/CHEM10004

Looking here, unfortunately it seems like you've missed the Last Date to Withdraw without fail.

So personally, I would stick it out. Don't hire a tutor, it's not worth it.
How have you been going in the practicals? They're 20% so if you've been doing well in those, that's a good start.

I don't know when summer exams are, but it seems like you've still got time.
Would it be possible for you to dedicate the next 1-2 weeks of your life to Chemistry?
Think of it as a summer job, you can "make" $1000 in a few weeks through studying! You'll be losing $1000 if you give up now.

Dedicating 7-8 hours a day during SWOTVAC can significantly change the outcome (my personal experience in semester 2... And this was to study four subjects, not just ONE!).
Look at the exams and their answers. Find out what you know and don't know.
Go straight to that part in the lecture slides, tutorial questions, textbook, online resources, etc... ANYTHING that helps at all.

Thank you! The only thing I did manage to do was attend practicals, I received 8.5 on all of them except one which was a 0 because I couldn't get a medical cert for not attending. I need about 38% on this test which is about half of all answers need to be correct. Is this possible to do in 6 days? I can dedicate 12hr a day but alone at home I'm not sure how I can learn this rather difficult subject that fast. I barely grinded through Chem1, heck I found 2nd year Physiology, Anatomy and stats to be easier than this, I'm not a chem person :(

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 11:17:36 pm »
Thank you! The only thing I did manage to do was attend practicals, I received 8.5 on all of them except one which was a 0 because I couldn't get a medical cert for not attending. I need about 38% on this test which is about half of all answers need to be correct. Is this possible to do in 6 days? I can dedicate 12hr a day but alone at home I'm not sure how I can learn this rather difficult subject that fast. I barely grinded through Chem1, heck I found 2nd year Physiology, Anatomy and stats to be easier than this, I'm not a chem person :(

Make a plan to spend each day on a topic, really going through the basics and working up. I struggled plenty with semester 1 chemistry, but managed to score a near-HD after doing this every day. If you find you struggle with some things in a topic, nailing the other parts can help immensely.

Looking through the handbook, it seems that most of the unit is just organic/inorganic chemistry? (with some physical chem) Because these topics have lots of information on the internet, particularly before you hit third year level. So, you can try googling the parts you have trouble with.

Finally, if you can arrange to get to the uni during the day (however, this sounds like it could be difficult?), you could browse around their massive supply of books at the uni until you find with a good explanation for the topics you're struggling with. Also, try making using of stackexchange and similar websites, they may be able to answer your questions.

Best of luck! :)

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +110
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 11:04:02 am »
+1
Personally I found past exams to be identical in structure and content to the Chem 2 exam I sat last year.  Get a bunch of past exams (like 4), note the specific topics that they ALL cover, then learn how to do those problems. You are at the point where a comprehensive understanding isn't really possible so you might just need to rote learn some stuff and hope.

Leave the quantum stuff for last in terms of studying, as his content is unpredictable and always really badly worded anyway in exams so is hard to understand, and it's worth the least amount.
2008 - 2010 | Bachelor of Production @ Victorian College of the Arts
2013 - 2015 | Bachelor of Science @ UoM (Bioengineering Systems)
2016 - 2017 | Master of Engineering (Biomedical) @ UoM