Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 09:43:37 pm

Author Topic: Doing Software Development 3/4 without Computing 1/2  (Read 2689 times)  Share 

tisijoe

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Doing Software Development 3/4 without Computing 1/2
« on: April 25, 2017, 10:24:44 pm »
Hi everyone,
I am currently in Year 10, hoping to do SD 3/4 next year without the 1/2 computing. I've been exposed to a multitude of languages over the past years, designed animations, graphics, and am generally very passionate about computer science.

Would it be difficult to do the 3/4 without the 1/2? Especially since I do have the basics of programming etc learnt, would the 1/2 be unnecessary?
Is 3/4 basically a repeat of 1/2?

Cheers,
Joe

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Doing Software Development 3/4 without Computing 1/2
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 10:29:24 pm »
+4
You can definitely do Soft Dev without 1/2. Of course, having that base knowledge of 1/2 before going into Softdev would be ideal, but it is in no way a requirement. If you have been exposed, that is a good start. I remember in school, I did IT Applications (now what is known as Informatics) without 1/2 and I did just fine (40 SS). VCE Computing is not that stimulating or exciting - therefore you need a passion to keep powering through to get that good study score.

In terms of 1/2, I would classify 1/2 as a foundation for further 3/4 study in the area of Computing. You may find a bit of overlap. From there, you can choose either (or a combo of):
* Informatics 3/4
* Softdev 3/4
* Algorithmics 3/4 (technically not part of the VCE Computing curriculum & is relatively new - but if you are interested in Computer Science as a uni pathway and have a strong maths background, I would definitely recommend looking into this. Prereq is Methods 1/2 - but you could probably get away with doing it at the same time).

So, to answer your question: it is absolutely possible. You do a bit of programming - but your teacher should be in a position where he or she can guide you through that process. I would definitely be going with SD as opposed to the other option, Informatics. That was dry.

Have you had a look at the study design for Computing? That's a great place to get vital information about each option. Basically (if you are unaware of what a study design is), it is a document which outlines everything you need to know about VCE subjects (e.g. the content and skills that one is taught, the assessment requirements and so on). Here's the link if you haven't already got it: http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/vce/computing/ComputingSD-2016.pdf

Good luck
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 10:44:50 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +86
Re: Doing Software Development 3/4 without Computing 1/2
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 06:12:37 pm »
+2
You've clearly got a passion and love for this. You can definitely do SD 3/4 without Computing 1/2 if you put in the work (as with any other 3/4 without doing the 1/2 sequence too).

Although I did Informatics, I personally think I carried over nothing theory-wise from IT 1/2 (what is now Computing 1/2), probably due to the course change that happened between 2015/2016. The one thing I may have carried over was some skills on Dreamweaver, however, my teacher taught the entire course assuming everyone had 0 knowledge of the software/languages involved (including 0 knowledge of Computing 1/2 because we were going into 3/4 in the midst of the study design changing). This would apply to SD too, where (hopefully) your teacher doesn't assume everyone has base knowledge of Computing 1/2, and various software and languages (you seem to be covered though from what you've been exposed to!).

I echo what Aaron is saying too, check the study design, and do not do Informatics if you have a choice of SD.
Seriously, don't. I really want to recommend it but it's SO DRY.

EDIT: UTILISE VCEIT.COM - MARK KELLY IS A LIFE SAVER. He's also got Computing 1/2 information on there (which may be easier than reading the study design)!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 08:44:35 pm by www »
2017~2020 (Monash) | BA, BA(Hons)Psy
2021~ | job! - AN hiatus, it's been fun here (: