Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 16, 2024, 05:26:59 pm

Author Topic: General Footy Tipping and Discussion Thread  (Read 266520 times)

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
Re: ATAR Notes Footy Tipping and Discussion
« Reply #210 on: May 21, 2016, 04:19:27 pm »
Really tempted to put the pies in for a win. I just have a little feeling that they might - upset win. Although I have the cats down at the moment.
God damn it :(
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #211 on: May 21, 2016, 04:23:12 pm »
God damn it :(

If you had, they would've lost. That's the way this works :^)

I'm wondering whether the Hawks v Swans game last night was terrible, or really good due to pressure. I can't tell. I know the Hawks definitely weren't playing their best, that's for sure.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #212 on: May 21, 2016, 04:46:55 pm »

I'm wondering whether the Hawks v Swans game last night was terrible, or really good due to pressure.

Hawks lose= happiness

So it was a good match :)

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #213 on: May 21, 2016, 04:48:50 pm »
Hawks lose= happiness

So it was a good match :)

I agree, but this is worrying for my team who play the Swans next week (AT THE SCG). I just want NM to be undefeated forever!!! Especially now we have three main players out due to injury. Boo.

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #214 on: May 21, 2016, 05:20:17 pm »
I agree, but this is worrying for my team who play the Swans next week (AT THE SCG). I just want NM to be undefeated forever!!! Especially now we have three main players out due to injury. Boo.
If they beat Sydney at the SCG they will definitely become premiership favourites. I can't believe people still think NM aren't favourites. Looked at the odds and iirc Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney, West Coast and EVEN GWS are ahead of them.

They need a big scalp and beating Sydney at SCG is one.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #215 on: May 21, 2016, 05:29:44 pm »
If they beat Sydney at the SCG they will definitely become premiership favourites. I can't believe people still think NM aren't favourites. Looked at the odds and iirc Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney, West Coast and EVEN GWS are ahead of them.

They need a big scalp and beating Sydney at SCG is one.

I find it quite funny - even when we've beaten Adelaide and the Bulldogs, it's always been 'oh but its only Round 1' for Adelaide, and 'oh but 3 players are down' for the Bulldogs.

BUT if we are to lose tonight against Carlton (for example), given we have injuries now ourselves, the whole 'excuses' thing won't be taken into account at all. Even if we beat the Swans next week (slim chance), doubters will find something to use an excuse or justification for the win (e.g. 'oh, they were just recovering from their win against the Hawks, pretenders!!! haha').

People are missing the point - even though we may have nearly lost to St Kilda and Essendon, the fact is that we managed to pull ourselves out from a dangerous situation. I think with the fierce competition this year, it isn't wise to discount ANY team from a potential win, because we can see how fast things change (e.g. collingwood beating the cats, when they are apparently premiership favourites).

Really cannot win :P

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #216 on: May 21, 2016, 07:18:02 pm »
I find it quite funny - even when we've beaten Adelaide and the Bulldogs, it's always been 'oh but its only Round 1' for Adelaide, and 'oh but 3 players are down' for the Bulldogs.

BUT if we are to lose tonight against Carlton (for example), given we have injuries now ourselves, the whole 'excuses' thing won't be taken into account at all. Even if we beat the Swans next week (slim chance), doubters will find something to use an excuse or justification for the win (e.g. 'oh, they were just recovering from their win against the Hawks, pretenders!!! haha').

People are missing the point - even though we may have nearly lost to St Kilda and Essendon, the fact is that we managed to pull ourselves out from a dangerous situation. I think with the fierce competition this year, it isn't wise to discount ANY team from a potential win, because we can see how fast things change (e.g. collingwood beating the cats, when they are apparently premiership favourites).

Really cannot win :P
It has made the season so much more exciting. Rather than just one or two teams dominating the competition we have about five teams that are in premiership contention and also minor teams causing major upsets. This season is going to be the best in a while and not just because Hawthorn will not win it :P.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #217 on: May 21, 2016, 10:06:20 pm »
Well that was a nice win.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #218 on: May 26, 2016, 09:19:05 pm »
I'm nervous about tomorrow night's match. No doubt the 'match of the round'. Swans are a good side.

Tips for this week:
North by 10
Hawks
Melbourne
St Kilda
Richmond
GWS
Cats
Bulldogs
WCE

Good luck for Round 10 everyone.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #219 on: May 26, 2016, 09:26:45 pm »
I think this is a match where a win by the Roos can shut up many of the critics.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #220 on: May 26, 2016, 09:30:59 pm »
I think this is a match where a win by the Roos can shut up many of the critics.

Agreed. Sydney's defense is weakened with Ted Richards out. Inclusion of Wells + Wright for NM mean that our midfield + defense are strengthened just that tad more (in addition to the big tall forward line). Just a matter of how badly Buddy can impact. They'll need like 3 on 1 for him.

Don't need to rant on again about how unjust I think the criticism is because I think everyone who reads this thread knows how biased I am, but safe to say that I really hope NM win tomorrow night.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #221 on: May 26, 2016, 10:20:13 pm »
Pay attention tipsters!

I'd like to get some feedback regarding the tipping system this year and how you've found it. It's a short survey that'll take you no longer than 5 minutes to complete. Just read each statement and provide a 1-5 rating (1 = strongly disagree, 5 = strongly agree).

Cheers! http://goo.gl/forms/uyZUXz6ISBXdNFq03

Edit: Please please please!! Fill in the end question that asks for ideas and feedback. :-) Thank you

Edit 2: Form now closed. View results in summarised form here: http://aaron.bz/ANFeedbackResults.pdf
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 12:47:15 am by Aaron »

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • What kind of shoes do ninjas wear? Sneakers.
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #222 on: May 26, 2016, 10:26:26 pm »
Agreed. Sydney's defense is weakened with Ted Richards out. Inclusion of Wells + Wright for NM mean that our midfield + defense are strengthened just that tad more (in addition to the big tall forward line). Just a matter of how badly Buddy can impact. They'll need like 3 on 1 for him.

Don't need to rant on again about how unjust I think the criticism is because I think everyone who reads this thread knows how biased I am, but safe to say that I really hope NM win tomorrow night.
We do give away some height with Richards out especially with no inclusion of a tall KPD (not that we have that many due to injuries) but I think our smaller defenders in Grundy, Rampe and Laidler can get the job done against Brown, Waite and Petrie especially if they can zone off their man and impact the contest as third man up. Coupled with windy weather leading to less one-on-ones in the forward line, it'll give our small-mid defenders especially Jones and Mills to cause some damage (would be nice to see what Jones will get up to if he picks up Harvey in the forward line as Cunningham/Mcglynn rotates off him from the midfield).

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #223 on: May 27, 2016, 06:02:08 pm »
We do give away some height with Richards out especially with no inclusion of a tall KPD (not that we have that many due to injuries) but I think our smaller defenders in Grundy, Rampe and Laidler can get the job done against Brown, Waite and Petrie especially if they can zone off their man and impact the contest as third man up. Coupled with windy weather leading to less one-on-ones in the forward line, it'll give our small-mid defenders especially Jones and Mills to cause some damage (would be nice to see what Jones will get up to if he picks up Harvey in the forward line as Cunningham/Mcglynn rotates off him from the midfield).

Good luck tonight :)

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • What kind of shoes do ninjas wear? Sneakers.
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #224 on: May 27, 2016, 10:54:49 pm »
Good luck tonight :)
Thanks xD

Happy to see my prediction was on point with the backline and absolutely loved Jones late run in the midfield (bit of a mongrel that one)! Unfortunate about the missed set shots by your forwards and missed snaps but Scott will have something to work with this week no doubt! All happy that there's no injuries today!