Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 10:56:26 pm

Author Topic: SAC on Global actors  (Read 6817 times)  Share 

miss shep

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2012
SAC on Global actors
« on: March 24, 2012, 08:11:59 pm »
hey guys i am currently in year 12 doing Global Poltics/ International studies and have a SAC which is an essay based and the topic will be similar to the practice one my teacher has given us
“States are the most powerful actors in global politics”.
I wrote an introduction
The effects of Globalisation has ensured that actors other than States play a vital role in global politics. In the current climate States play a significant role in global politics. States exercise their power through sovereignty.  By maintaining its territorial integrity a State can draw upon its economic, political and social factors which ensures it is a powerful global actor. Although the State remains a powerful player there are non State Actors such as Transnational Corporations ( TNC’s) and the Institution of Global Governance that have become more prominent in international relations.

But the only problem is now i am having troubles with elaborating of how states are powerful.. i have how states posses arms and enter into military alliances and arrangements, cause insecurity in other states (seek arms) - both a problem and solution to their own insecurity, but what else should i include in this essay and some examples illustrating this?!!!

2012 goals- Legal Studies [40] English Language [38] Global Politics [36] Economics [35] Psychology [38]
atar =90.00

shazzthepimpingturtle

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: John Monash Science School
Re: SAC on Global actors
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 02:28:19 pm »
heyy miss shep, we have got the same topic for ours, what you are arguing is pretty strong but this is the take I took for my main ideas: (this is my introduction and main ideas)

The state, an international entity: established on the blood and sweat of civilians and alike over thousands of years of political and cultural revolution. The status of the state has culminated and evolved into importance from the infant days of Sumer and Elam in 2700BC to the very hot Cold War post-WWII. But today, in the 21st century, are we experiencing the fall of the state? Or have we already experienced it. As the world becomes more interconnected with globalisation fast fuelling the thriving (arguable ailing) global economy and satisfying the thirst for growth, the role of the state possesses a newly formed ambiguity about its global political influence. The state has begun to lose influence and power in the global political sphere as other non-state actors such as Institutions of Global Governance, Non-governmental organisations and Transnational Corporations devour the vulnerability of the state. And an extremist may say that this could lead to a future in which the role of the state is somewhat passive and actions are dictated by international bodies. The thought does not stray far from any intellect.
Finish year 12 []
Get smashed on the coast []

miss shep

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 03:35:18 pm »
hey shazzthepimpingturtle yours is amazing !! i feel so inadequate with mine lol !!!
how would i be able to  discuss  the continuing power and influence of states, but effects of globalisation on the altering of this.!!!!:SSS 

shazzthepimpingturtle

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 07:15:16 pm »
Hahah that's because I took ages to write it out LOL.

So you want evaluate that the state is still strong and powerful, but globalization may change this?

So what you want to do in your essay is make it clear that you believe that the state is still central to all global political jurisdiction, over any IGG, NGO, or TNC. In other words the state still has the say. But then talk about how globalization fuels these other non-state actors. So an example of what you might want to talk about is:

1. Talk about how the state, as you mentioned before still possesses the primary military power and how this still empowers the state. Provide an example of the USA overcoming the rulings of the UN at their leisure, for example when going to Iraq. And talk about how the military power of the state is dominating compared to NGOs such as Al Qaeda.

2. Next talk about how the state is still the economic powerhouse. It still possesses control over all TNCs and companies alike. Provide an example like the Aussie government placing mining taxes on big TNCs like BHP. Showing the state still dictates the monayyyyy.

3. Finally talk about how globalisation gives power to the TNCs and the NGOs and the IGGs
> TNCs go overseas and maximise profits with places like sweatshops
> NGOs increase interconnected and develop networks internationally like the Occupy movement
> Finally IGGs possess more power as more states want to create peaceful relations!

*Phew* tell us what you think!
Finish year 12 []

nkultra42

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 09:00:04 pm »
Hey Guys,
Just with regards to the negative influences of globalization on the state, you could talk about how it (globalization) has resulted in a loss of sovereignty because nations have less control over policy making in areas like the economy, eg bailouts and treaties.
You can also talk about how there is a loss of sovereignty in respects to territory. Because its easier for other nations to see whats going on around the world (social media and Syria for instance) they may be more willing to intervene in intra state conflicts, eg Libya.
Hope it helps  :)

Eddiee

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 08:20:50 pm »
I didn't know they taught International Studies at our school :o

shazzthepimpingturtle

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 08:29:34 pm »
LOL yes they do, but because no-one from your year level picked it for year 11, they probably won't offer it to you guys,
they did for us because a big group of us said we wanted it, and ms abels had teached it previously.
LOL thats kinda stalkerish.
Finish year 12 []

Eddiee

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 10:34:00 pm »
Yes. Yes it is stalkerish. Probably best if you don't ask me how I find this stuff.

They didn't offer a lot of subjects for our year level, like Media I believe. I don't even know if there's a 1/2 Accounting class.....