Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 18, 2024, 07:52:33 pm

Author Topic: IR Spec is making me cry lol  (Read 722 times)  Share 

miss_ash_mash

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
IR Spec is making me cry lol
« on: October 30, 2020, 09:25:23 pm »
so I've been doing revision for a few months now (my school finished unit 4 sacs a few weeks before term 3 ended) and I realised that I don't really know how to describe peaks? like beyond the bond wavenumbers in the data booklet I don't know if O-H bonds are the strong, broad ones for example? I can't find any resources about what specific bonds LOOK like on the spectra and it kills me that I'm losing marks on something so "easy" compared to the rest of the chem content.

(to be clear I'm talking about descriptors like "narrow"/"broad" and "strong"/"moderate"/"weak" and how each bond shows up on the spectra)

Can someone summarise it for me or redirect me to some resources?
Thank you!! ^-^

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
Re: IR Spec is making me cry lol
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 09:57:04 pm »
+5
You don’t really ever need to describe how wide or blah blah wave band are unless it’s the broad OH (acid peak) between 2500-3500 cm And even then it’s only wide because it literally stretches 1000cm and helps you distinguish from it being just CH or NH3 or the OH for alcohols, all of which hover around the 3000cm mark. However you’ll know it’s an acid Because it’ll also have the (C=O) at like 1680cm or something like that (don’t quote me this is from memory  :P)
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

miss_ash_mash

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: IR Spec is making me cry lol
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 10:21:06 pm »
You don’t really ever need to describe how wide or blah blah wave band are unless it’s the broad OH (acid peak) between 2500-3500 cm And even then it’s only wide because it literally stretches 1000cm and helps you distinguish from it being just CH or NH3 or the OH for alcohols, all of which hover around the 3000cm mark. However you’ll know it’s an acid Because it’ll also have the (C=O) at like 1680cm or something like that (don’t quote me this is from memory  :P)

o h
gotcha,, i just remember my teacher mentioning it once and for some reason i guess it just really stuck in my brain lol
thankyouu