Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 06:57:49 pm

Author Topic: After Year 12: Q & A Thread  (Read 18562 times)  Share 

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: After Year 12: Q & A Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2018, 02:20:30 pm »
Sorry but can you please explain the access Melbourne program?
Lear's answered the other questions, so I'll just answer this one.

Access Melbourne is effectively the SEAS program at UoM. You can check out all about them here.

Note: added to PF's response.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

tra0027

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2018, 02:27:31 pm »
Hi, I got an ATAR of 87.55 and I have been accepted into Access Melbourne for financial and underrepresented school. I want to do a Bachelor of Commerce that has a guaranteed spot for those with an 88 ATAR with SEAS. I'm only .45 off, so would I still possibly be considered for the course? Last year someone got accepted with a 81.10. I've definitely got more than needed for the prerequisites and I've also done Accounting, which I'm not sure whether it would be of any help.  Thank you!

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2018, 02:30:33 pm »
Hi, I got an ATAR of 87.55 and I have been accepted into Access Melbourne for financial and underrepresented school. I want to do a Bachelor of Commerce that has a guaranteed spot for those with an 88 ATAR with SEAS. I'm only .45 off, so would I still possibly be considered for the course? Last year someone got accepted with a 81.10. I've definitely got more than needed for the prerequisites and I've also done Accounting, which I'm not sure whether it would be of any help.  Thank you!
Yeah, I don't see why not. You've exceeded the minimum ATAR, got a fair bit of SEAS and potentially a subject bonus. Probably still a good chance. If it's ultimately what you want to do, keep it at first preference. :)
VTAC Info Thread

ammeamme

• Adventurer
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2018, 02:38:24 pm »
Yeah, I don't see why not. You've exceeded the minimum ATAR, got a fair bit of SEAS and potentially a subject bonus. Probably still a good chance. If it's ultimately what you want to do, keep it at first preference. :)

I thought Melb Uni didn't offer subject bonuses? I can't find any info on their website  :-\

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2018, 02:46:01 pm »
I thought Melb Uni didn't offer subject bonuses? I can't find any info on their website  :-\
I haven't had the chance to look it up so far. Pretty sure they offered it back when I was applying via VTAC (2014) so I'm kind of hopeful they've kept it somewhere and I just haven't seen it yet. I'll have a deeper look as soon as I get the chance. :)
VTAC Info Thread

Seanclair

• Adventurer
  • "I can, and I will"
  • Respect: +55
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2018, 04:51:25 pm »
Hey so I am intending to study arts/law at USYD which requires a 99.5 ATAR. I achieved a 96.95 however I have an EAS application being a low socioeconomic school which lowers the ATAR to 95 under the broadway scheme. Is admission into the broadway scheme guaranteed if you have a successful EAS application? If so, that means I am likely to receive an offer? Is that so?

Anyone who has been through USYD broadway scheme who can help me out please dooooo as I'm really unsure as to whether I should swap something else into my first preference as I won't get into USYD or hold on and hope for the best.

:)
HSC 2018:
English Advanced
Studies of Religion 2
Ancient History
History Extension
Legal Studies
Geography

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2018, 04:55:00 pm »
Hey so I am intending to study arts/law at USYD which requires a 99.5 ATAR. I achieved a 96.95 however I have an EAS application being a low socioeconomic school which lowers the ATAR to 95 under the broadway scheme. Is admission into the broadway scheme guaranteed if you have a successful EAS application? If so, that means I am likely to receive an offer? Is that so?

Anyone who has been through USYD broadway scheme who can help me out please dooooo as I'm really unsure as to whether I should swap something else into my first preference as I won't get into USYD or hold on and hope for the best.

:)
Not super familiar with USYD so I can’t answer that side of things but definitely leave it as your first preference! Just make sure you have other preferences in your list in case you miss out.

If you leave it first the worst that will happen is that you’ll get an offer for your 2nd/3rd/etc preference, if you move it you risk not getting an offer there at all (instead you’ll get an offer for a course that is higher than it and you’ll never know if you could’ve gotten in).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 04:57:28 pm by PhoenixxFire »
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2018, 05:07:28 pm »
+1
To clarify, I'm from Victoria so I'm assuming (a big generalisation) that the process of SEAS here is similar to EAS in NSW. Otherwise it's all just 2 minutes of research. 
Hey so I am intending to study arts/law at USYD which requires a 99.5 ATAR. I achieved a 96.95 however I have an EAS application being a low socioeconomic school which lowers the ATAR to 95 under the broadway scheme. Is admission into the broadway scheme guaranteed if you have a successful EAS application?
Well, according to the Broadway Scheme website, it says it can be based on EAS, but not actually guaranteed by a successful EAS application. Think of it as a set of two barriers. One has to confirm you got EAS, the next is that you have to get accepted into the Broadway Scheme. 
If so, that means I am likely to receive an offer? Is that so?
If you have received notice of acceptance into the Broadway scheme, likely. If EAS covers you that far, likely. 
I'm really unsure as to whether I should swap something else into my first preference as I won't get into USYD or hold on and hope for the best.
If UAC does things like VTAC, then you should keep the first preference as what you really want to study the most, aside from conditional offers stating that you must put them as first preference.

Note: Beaten by PF, but leaving this here anyway. If anyone from NSW knows about this, would encourage you to still bring your opinions to the table.
VTAC Info Thread

freddyhayward

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2018, 05:33:01 pm »
hey I got 87.8, applied for SEAS but am NOT in access Melbourne. I want to get into BA at Melbourne. The minimum ATAR is 85 but according to the course website the clearly-in is 89.3. So does that mean I'm not guaranteed for the 1st or even 2nd round?

http://ba.unimelb.edu.au/study/degrees/bachelor-of-arts/entry-requirements#entry-requirements

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2018, 05:35:10 pm »
+1
Hi, just received ATAR and unfortunately missed out on USYD Law guaranteed entry by 0.25. I have it as first preference. Should I be expecting to perhaps get an offer in 2nd or 3rd round coz I'm really desperate to stay in Sydney and not have to go interstate. Thankyou for any help :)
Yeah generally they give offers to people with lower ATARs in later rounds. Regardless, leave it at preference 1 to give yourself the best chance :)
Edit: I'm assuming it's a normal course that gives out offers in multiple rounds? By guaranteed entry I'm assuming you mean the clearly in?
hey I got 87.8, applied for SEAS but am NOT in access Melbourne. I want to get into BA at Melbourne. The minimum ATAR is 85 but according to the course website the clearly-in is 89.3. So does that mean I'm not guaranteed for the 1st or even 2nd round?

http://ba.unimelb.edu.au/study/degrees/bachelor-of-arts/entry-requirements#entry-requirements
Means you're not guaranteed, but it doesn't mean you won't get an offer so leave it in your preferences.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 05:36:44 pm by PhoenixxFire »

freddyhayward

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2018, 05:58:32 pm »
Means you're not guaranteed, but it doesn't mean you won't get an offer so leave it in your preferences.

Thanks for the reply, what I should have added earlier  is that the below website (study.unimelb rather than ba.unimelb) doesn't mention the clearly-in whatsoever except in referring to the lowest selection rank (in this case 85):
Previously known as the ‘clearly-in rank’, this is the lowest selection rank to which offers were made this year, including relevant adjustments. This should be used as a guide for entry.

The language seems unclear - the same as clearly-in but only a guide?. It looks to me like the minimum and clearly-in ATAR are now effectively the same for whatever reason (accepting more students?) but I need to be sure I'm not just grasping at straws.

https://study.unimelb.edu.au/find/courses/undergraduate/bachelor-of-arts/entry-requirements/

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2018, 06:04:53 pm »
Thanks for the reply, what I should have added earlier  is that the below website (study.unimelb rather than ba.unimelb) doesn't mention the clearly-in whatsoever except in referring to the lowest selection rank (in this case 85):
The language seems unclear - the same as clearly-in but only a guide?. It looks to me like the minimum and clearly-in ATAR are now effectively the same for whatever reason (accepting more students?) but I need to be sure I'm not just grasping at straws.

https://study.unimelb.edu.au/find/courses/undergraduate/bachelor-of-arts/entry-requirements/
I interpreted that to mean that you have to score at least 85 to be considered (unless you qualify for SEAS) however just because you score 85+ doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a place because it varies a bit each year depending on who applies and what ATARs they have.

ihatemethods1234

• Adventurer
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2018, 06:07:36 pm »
Please help everyone :(
I calculated my adjusted atar to be 89.40 however the lowest selection rank for my course is 91.05 (monash bachelor of engieering {honours}). Can i still get an offer with this score? What is the probability?
Thankyou so much everyone!

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2018, 06:12:07 pm »
+1
Please help everyone :(
I calculated my adjusted atar to be 89.40 however the lowest selection rank for my course is 91.05 (monash bachelor of engieering {honours}). Can i still get an offer with this score? What is the probability?
Thankyou so much everyone!

There's a chance but I honestly cannot tell you how high it is.
Keep it at the top of your preference list & just have something lower as well, so that if you don't get your first choice you still get a different one

Danneo

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2018, 06:16:33 pm »
Is going to Uni for music a good idea?