Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 08:53:01 pm

Author Topic: Superalloys  (Read 1845 times)  Share 

Rhiannon Pugh

• Fresh Poster
Superalloys
« on: July 25, 2017, 05:26:20 pm »
Hey... Just wondering if anyone can help me with a question i found in a past paper!!...  ???

"Evaluate the development of superalloys used to make artificial joints. In your answer, refer to the impact of technology on the medical field and society."

I don't really know how to link the two parts of the question together- or what to write without completely making stuff up!!...

Thanks..  ;)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
Re: Superalloys
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 12:04:44 am »
Hey Rhiannon! Welcome to the forums! ;D

I can't help with this question specifically, just wanted to say that if you needed help finding anything around the site, do let me know! Our Senior Science forums aren't as busy as some other sections, hopefully someone can come along and lend a hand and get the community growing! :)

Rhiannon Pugh

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 10:38:23 am »
OK thanks!  :D

biffi023

• Trailblazer
  • Kum Bah Yah
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 02:20:54 pm »
Hey... Just wondering if anyone can help me with a question i found in a past paper!!...  ???

"Evaluate the development of superalloys used to make artificial joints. In your answer, refer to the impact of technology on the medical field and society."

I don't really know how to link the two parts of the question together- or what to write without completely making stuff up!!...

Thanks..  ;)

Hey rhiannon! do u want to post this on the main SS forum.. or i can if u want??.. bcos this question stumped me too and im wondering if someone on there could help!?..... (unless u already did and i cant see it??)
cheers!  ;D

Kaan709

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 10:08:57 pm »

Therefore, "How has the improvement of technology impacted the use of superalloys in medicine and society."
For example,

"Superalloys can are commonly comprised of cobalt, iron, and larger amounts of nickel; and are manipulated with the addition of other elements such as titanium, cobalt... etc. The historical development of alloys have been beneficial for the medical field and engineering. Our increased understanding of the compositions of elements, arose in the early 1900's due to the need for materials with strong heat resistance and stress resistance. Superalloys in biomedical devices require a high degree of strength: to low weight ratio; the compatibility of body tissue, i.e. resistance to varying pH's, internal bodily fluids and chemicals; and to withstand the 'wear and tear' of movement.

An example of this can be seen with the development of carbon-fibre reinforced polymers, which further enhances the previous properties. The increased lifetime of the carbon-fibre 'ball and socket' reduces replacement surgery, and therefore reducing the stress on the health care system [blah blah]. Whereas, the increased strength and compatibility further decreases complications arising from older implants [blah blah]."

I realised it was an 'evaluate' question when I finished writing it, but you get the gist. Try to expand more on the impacts it has on the medical field and society. If you do legal, you'd know the evaluation criteria, which you can be used to some extent. Such as, accessibility of the implant, resource efficiency of the hospitals/surgeons, and then blab on about how the improvements allow a greater quality of life/life expectancy for society, health care....

I hope this helped you in time.