Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 12:18:07 am

Author Topic: Which Book?  (Read 1015 times)  Share 

2jzgte

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Would rather not...
  • School Grad Year: 2015
Which Book?
« on: February 14, 2015, 04:03:07 pm »
Hi guys, I currently have two methods textbooks, the Heinemann textbook and the Essentials textbook. At school we get assigned homework from the Heinemann text which I feel is easy and repetitive and therefore working through it feels like it is a waste of time when I could be working from the Essentials text.
What is the best way of utilizing these two resources to expand my knowledge?
I am looking forward to reading your responses  :)
2015: Methods [ ] | Physics [ ] | English [ ] | Accounting [ ] | Further [ ]

EspoirTron

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +82
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Re: Which Book?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 04:49:14 pm »
+1
I actually was in the exact same position as you when I did methods. My school used the Heinemann textbook, but in Year 11 I had used Essentials. I found Essentials a much more comprehensive text with more challenging questions.
What I did was, is I did very basic questions from the Heinemann text, e.g. if we were covering the chain rule I'd just do the simple ones and maybe a few of the extended-response questions. After this, I went through 80% of the exercises per topic in Essentials, this really solidified my knowledge. Not only was I getting more exposure, but I was being challenged.

I think that's the best way to go, it's what I did personally and what worked the best for me. Perhaps do some questions from the Heinemann - or, whatever homework you get set. Then, as I did, read the theory in Essentials and do the questions. Particularly, ensure that you do the extended-response questions at the end of each chapter, those were always really difficult.
Hope that helped!
2012-2013: VCE
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine at Monash University

2jzgte

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Would rather not...
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 05:07:40 pm »
Thanks for the reply, sounds like a good plan. What if I wanted to work ahead of the class? Should I use the Essentials text or Heinemann text?
2015: Methods [ ] | Physics [ ] | English [ ] | Accounting [ ] | Further [ ]

EspoirTron

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +82
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 05:10:24 pm »
Thanks for the reply, sounds like a good plan. What if I wanted to work ahead of the class? Should I use the Essentials text or Heinemann text?

I'd recommend Essentials again. I just found the explanations in Essentials to be clear and contain thorough detail. This is turn helped me really understand the underpinning concepts behind every topic.
2012-2013: VCE
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine at Monash University