Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 01:57:37 pm

Author Topic: How to prepare for methods application task?  (Read 1884 times)  Share 

2madhatter

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
How to prepare for methods application task?
« on: December 07, 2018, 08:44:22 pm »
Hi everyone,
What are some of your tips to prepare for the application tasks for 3/4 methods?

For my first application task, I scored a D and was pretty bummed out as I completely misinterpreted the concept. I don't really consider myself a bad maths student so it shocked me. I did progress throughout the year, however, the SACs tended to get more easier as students scored worst in the first SAC. My grades fluctuated a lot. Our school was pretty lacklustre when it came to providing resources, especially regarding application tasks. Which resources would you recommend, I am thinking of getting ExamPRO and ATARNotes topic tests 

What are your tips for finishing on time? And structuring your answers? I always over wrote my details and explanations

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: How to prepare for methods application task?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 11:16:51 pm »
+2
Hi everyone,
What are some of your tips to prepare for the application tasks for 3/4 methods?

For my first application task, I scored a D and was pretty bummed out as I completely misinterpreted the concept. I don't really consider myself a bad maths student so it shocked me. I did progress throughout the year, however, the SACs tended to get more easier as students scored worst in the first SAC. My grades fluctuated a lot. Our school was pretty lacklustre when it came to providing resources, especially regarding application tasks. Which resources would you recommend, I am thinking of getting ExamPRO and ATARNotes topic tests 

What are your tips for finishing on time? And structuring your answers? I always over wrote my details and explanations

Finishing on time
-If you don't stop writing you will likely finish (even if you do more in depth answers)
-Get really good at using your CAS (know the shortcuts and try to get to a point where it is muscle memory) this will happen with practice.
-Know when to skip a question (i.e. put down some working out and move on) You won't always be able to answer every single question so it's important to know that you can move from the question and maybe come back to it later on.

Structuring answers
-make sure your writing is neat and the answer is really clear (you don't need to box answers - I actually dislike this, your working out should flow towards your answer and make sense - use arrows if necessary and write out worded answers if you feel a numerical answer is unclear in terms of answering the question)

" I always over wrote my details and explanations"
-I don't see too much of a problem with this as long as you can finish on time, I probably did too much working out for all my answers but  it meant basically guaranteeing myself the marks regardless of how harsh an assessor was.

Hope some of this is useful :)