Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 04:11:08 am

Author Topic: Doing second year maths subjects in first year - unimelb  (Read 1065 times)  Share 

uoping

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Doing second year maths subjects in first year - unimelb
« on: February 06, 2019, 05:49:28 pm »
I will be starting my bachelor of science at unimelb this year. In year 12 I did UMEP math and did pretty well (90+ for both semesters). I was thinking of doing Group Theory and Linear Algebra (MAST20022) and Real Analysis (MAST20026) this year (first year). Is this a good idea?
I get that it depends on the person, but can a above average student take the workload in your opinion? Is this something you would do / have done personally? If you have done this, how was your experience? How does the workload/difficulty of these two subjects compare to the workload/difficulty of UMEP math (if you've done them both). Do you think that doing just one of these is a smarter choice?
If people looking at this were not in the same position as me, if you did do a second year subject in the first year, how did you find it?

Note: I want to do these subjects some point in my degree not only because I enjoy math, but also because I want to have the ability to major in mathematics and statistics available.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Doing second year maths subjects in first year - unimelb
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 06:05:54 pm »
+1
I will be starting my bachelor of science at unimelb this year. In year 12 I did UMEP math and did pretty well (90+ for both semesters). I was thinking of doing Group Theory and Linear Algebra (MAST20022) and Real Analysis (MAST20026) this year (first year). Is this a good idea?
I get that it depends on the person, but can a above average student take the workload in your opinion? Is this something you would do / have done personally? If you have done this, how was your experience? How does the workload/difficulty of these two subjects compare to the workload/difficulty of UMEP math (if you've done them both). Do you think that doing just one of these is a smarter choice?
If people looking at this were not in the same position as me, if you did do a second year subject in the first year, how did you find it?

Note: I want to do these subjects some point in my degree not only because I enjoy math, but also because I want to have the ability to major in mathematics and statistics available.
I did a 2nd year maths unit in 1st year and found it to be pretty standard. I didn't even do UMEP/MUEP maths in highschool (did MUEP chem) - as long as you are fulfilling the prerequisites you should be fine.

uoping

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 08:05:17 pm »
I did a 2nd year maths unit in 1st year and found it to be pretty standard. I didn't even do UMEP/MUEP maths in highschool (did MUEP chem) - as long as you are fulfilling the prerequisites you should be fine.
Thanks sine. Does that mean you also did a first year math subject in your first year? How did the difficulties compare?

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 08:13:33 pm »
Thanks sine. Does that mean you also did a first year math subject in your first year? How did the difficulties compare?
Yeah did a first year uni in first year also. The subject content was actual quite different even though they were both math units but overall difficulty I would say is probably be the same.

You would probably benefit by checking out the UoM subject review thread and seeing if anyone has posted anything on those subjects.