Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 04:21:43 pm

Author Topic: English Extension 1 Question Thread  (Read 151852 times)  Share 

theyam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
Re: English Extension 1 Question Thread
« Reply #345 on: August 05, 2018, 12:03:56 pm »
Hi @theyam! I'm doing the Spy as well! (but not the other two you mentioned).

I think not using Godot for Trials is completely fine. I'm not cause my teacher told me I can't use it yet. (kind of annoying)... :)
But in answer to your question, any text should be fine as long as you analyse it strongly alongside your prescribed ones.

For Duck and Cover, you could make a paradigm table to see what values and themes match up with your other texts. (I have attached the one that our class created together for Spy. Feel free to use all the notes there! I don't mind sharing more stuff if you ask for more). Otherwise, if you have time, Grave of the Fireflies is a strong related text. It's a Studio Gibli Film (anime) and set in World War Two, with heaps on paradigms and motifs.

Hope this helps!  ;D

From LochNess

hellooo~
Thank you for the advice and the resources <3
Trying to make a table for all 5 texts at the moment haha...
from theyam :)

eliseeeeee_m

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #346 on: August 15, 2018, 06:41:23 pm »
What are the chances that they will ask for THREE prescribed and ONE related?
HSC 2018: Advanced English // Extension English I // Modern History // Legal Studies // Drama // Studies of Religion I

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #347 on: August 15, 2018, 08:43:12 pm »
What are the chances that they will ask for THREE prescribed and ONE related?

Haven't seen the paper so not sure but if you have time it always better to have a back-up just in case your preferred texts don't fit the question well :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #348 on: August 31, 2018, 08:58:51 pm »
Hey, everyone!

I just received my Trials results for Extension 1 English and am pretty happy with them. My creative is only just getting into the A range so I would like to boost it up before HSC. One comment I keep getting on it is clarifying on the time frame to show context more clearly. The story is set in 1974 Japan and I use Japanese words, places and events to shape it but I was wondering if I needed to specify the year itself and how I could do it subtly. So far, I placed the setting by referencing the Japanese oil crisis in 1973 being over, mentioning the Sumitomo high rise building which was finished in 1974 and quoting lyrics from one of the number one hit songs in 1974. I think it's because I've done the research that it seems explicit and so it might not actually be to the marker. Should I try to insert the year in and how should I do it? 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 09:00:47 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

mxrylyn

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #349 on: September 04, 2018, 12:06:39 pm »
Hey,

I am planning on preparing the majority of my reponses for Adv English, do you suggest doing the same for Extension 1?

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #350 on: September 08, 2018, 01:57:28 pm »
+1
Hey, everyone!

I just received my Trials results for Extension 1 English and am pretty happy with them. My creative is only just getting into the A range so I would like to boost it up before HSC. One comment I keep getting on it is clarifying on the time frame to show context more clearly. The story is set in 1974 Japan and I use Japanese words, places and events to shape it but I was wondering if I needed to specify the year itself and how I could do it subtly. So far, I placed the setting by referencing the Japanese oil crisis in 1973 being over, mentioning the Sumitomo high rise building which was finished in 1974 and quoting lyrics from one of the number one hit songs in 1974. I think it's because I've done the research that it seems explicit and so it might not actually be to the marker. Should I try to insert the year in and how should I do it?

Hey! With context I did kinda what you did - subtle references. Mine was written in letters, so I did have specific dates at the beginning of my letters which helped ground it in a specific time period. Other than that, my story was set in the background of the slave trade and referenced contextual events. For instance:

Lord Grenville passionately plead for the end of the injustice, arguing the trade to be contrary to the principles of righteousness, humanity and sound policy. Fortunately, the House of Commons passed the Abolition of the Slave Trade Bill by 114 votes to 15 on the 25th of March.

Also I referenced some of the philosophers of the period as my module was ways of thinking. This was also a nice way to add in context but it wasn't obvious or anything to the reader.

Hope that somewhat helped :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #351 on: September 08, 2018, 01:59:49 pm »
Hey,

I am planning on preparing the majority of my reponses for Adv English, do you suggest doing the same for Extension 1?

Personally for the essay I'd just recommend memorising key quotes and then go into the exam with those as the questions can be very different and you need to make sure you address them specifically! Otherwise, you can also look at the past questions and just make sure if you are preparing an answer that you know how to adapt it. Adaptability/malleability is key as the questions can be quite specific!

I wrote and memorised my creatives but only because I couldn't write as well creatively in 40 mins on the spot. If you are decent enough at writing essays I'd say just try learn the main quotes and how to use them to suit different questions.

theyam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #352 on: September 29, 2018, 09:49:26 pm »
Hello,
Was just wondering if anyone was willing to share their trial papers for Extension English? I wasn't able to find much on thsc and acehsc.
Thank you ~  :)

Kireth

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #353 on: October 09, 2018, 06:14:26 pm »
Hi, I'm basically wondering about all the possible ways to structure an extension essay, given we have 4 texts to analyse? My elective is Science Fiction, thank you :)

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #354 on: October 15, 2018, 03:01:30 pm »
Hi, I'm basically wondering about all the possible ways to structure an extension essay, given we have 4 texts to analyse? My elective is Science Fiction, thank you :)

Hi - I didn't do this elective - personally I structured my paragraphs by texts as I found this the easiest way to do it. You can do it thematically, by theme, e.g. one paragraph on this theme, one on that theme, and discuss in it how each text is similar or different in the treatment of each theme, but I would say pick which you are more comfortable with! The second one is more sophisticated but hard to do and won't work if you aren't confident so pick what you are most comfortable doing, don't listen to what works for others :)

alicm

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #355 on: October 28, 2018, 03:31:04 pm »
Hey! I was wondering if I could write about the Vietnam War for my creative? My module is After the Bomb and I was wondering if the Vietnam War fits within the context of ATB.
My previous creative was based on the Hiroshima bombing, however my teacher said that it /just/ touches upon the time constraints of the module and suggested I change it.

avidprocrastinator

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #356 on: October 29, 2018, 08:18:13 pm »
Hi, what is the best way of getting flair into an essay. My teacher says to "characterise the time period more" (I do navigating the global) so what is the most effective way of doing this. Thanks!

LochNess Monster

• Forum Regular
  • I speak Chinglish!
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #357 on: October 30, 2018, 11:19:02 am »
+1
Worried about extension exam today cause I saw quite a few past papers have a "quote" in the question???

Wondering how I can best smash those questions and answer them really well.

Any tips for breaking down those questions with quotes?

I'm scared!   :-[ ??? :P ::)
ATAR: 89.55
⸜( ˙ ˘ ˙)/ ・゚☆✧ Sometimes wrong numbers are the right numbers ~ Cecelia Ahern

☽ “But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.” - Yeats

jq12328

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #358 on: October 30, 2018, 12:58:06 pm »
^ I'm also wondering the same. Especially if it's a metaphorical question, like the "light and dark" one from a few years back. Would be have to use key words/synonyms from thequote, or can we just explore the idea?

caregana

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #359 on: October 30, 2018, 05:03:24 pm »
+2
Hey! I was wondering if I could write about the Vietnam War for my creative? My module is After the Bomb and I was wondering if the Vietnam War fits within the context of ATB.
My previous creative was based on the Hiroshima bombing, however my teacher said that it /just/ touches upon the time constraints of the module and suggested I change it.

Hey! I'm doing After the Bomb as well, and I'm sure there shouldn't be a problem with that concept. My first creative is set in the Philippines and draws upon elements from the Vietnam War, and I haven't been told off for setting my story in a non-western environment (yet). The rubric doesn't stipulate any specific setting for the Cold War, even though it's main conflict was in Western vs. Soviet Russia, it had global rammifications (e.g, Vietnam and Korean War, rising fear of Communists in the Philippines, etc.)
Hope that helps!