Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 03:43:20 am

Author Topic: English Extension 1 Question Thread  (Read 151775 times)  Share 

bananna

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Re: English Extension 1 Question Thread
« Reply #150 on: March 06, 2017, 07:44:32 pm »
hi, my teacher said I'd have to change it for the HSC, so I could probably do it for my upcoming class task.

But I am really scared, because my mid-yearlies are coming up and I have no related texts...please help!!!  :'(

I wanted to use the same essay for my HSC because it would be easier

but I have no direction at the moment :(

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #151 on: March 06, 2017, 07:53:24 pm »
hi, my teacher said I'd have to change it for the HSC, so I could probably do it for my upcoming class task.

But I am really scared, because my mid-yearlies are coming up and I have no related texts...please help!!!  :'(

I wanted to use the same essay for my HSC because it would be easier

but I have no direction at the moment :(

Hey bananna, have you looked at the list of related texts that I used? The link attaches also to my own ATB essay, so you can see the way I used them. Some of the related texts suggested are available online and are quite short, so you could access them easily while you're cramming!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

bananna

• Trendsetter
« Reply #152 on: March 06, 2017, 08:14:12 pm »
Hey bananna, have you looked at the list of related texts that I used? The link attaches also to my own ATB essay, so you can see the way I used them. Some of the related texts suggested are available online and are quite short, so you could access them easily while you're cramming!

I have, but none of them really appeal to me or I'm thinking of using them as my 2nd related text (for waiting for godot or spy who came in from the cold)
i'm having a lot of trouble finding something i could use for Plath

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #153 on: March 06, 2017, 09:38:06 pm »
I have, but none of them really appeal to me or I'm thinking of using them as my 2nd related text (for waiting for godot or spy who came in from the cold)
i'm having a lot of trouble finding something i could use for Plath

I used the Kitchen Debate for Plath and it worked well. You could also look at Betty Friedan's The Feminine Mystique. That's a great text to link to Plath. Or, some Germaine Greer publications also will work as a nice contrast, still highlighting some similarities. This is all following the gendered way of thinking though, although each text explores more than just that!

Mary_a

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #154 on: March 13, 2017, 04:53:42 pm »
Hey,

I am studying Romanticism for the HSC, I honestly love this topic so much. I am a bit curious about how to  adress related texts for the different prescribed texts.

For Coleridge: John Keats-La Belle Dame Sans Merci (my favourite poem)

For Frankenstien: I'm thinking of Wuthering Heights

however,

For A Vindication Of The Rights Of Woman: I have no idea. I am really unsure what to select and how to incorporate a related for this text.

Do you happen to have any ideas or advice I can use in regards to Romanticism related?

Thank you so much,

Mary x
Hey!
I did the HSC last year (2017) and my 10 units were English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Legal Studies, Maths and Studies of Religion 2. I achieved my ATAR aim of over 90!

I loved tutoring and running essay writing workshops (privately and at InFlow Education) so much that I decided to study a Bachelor of Secondary Education, majoring in English and minoring in Maths!

If you're thinking about tutoring, let me know x

bananna

• Trendsetter
« Reply #155 on: March 16, 2017, 04:22:21 am »
hi,
when you quote a philosopher/essayist in a piece, must they be well-known?

also, can you quote essayists in advanced?
Reason I'm asking is that we're always encouraged to do so in ext 1, but never hear of it in adv

thank you!!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #156 on: March 16, 2017, 05:31:49 am »
hi,
when you quote a philosopher/essayist in a piece, must they be well-known?

also, can you quote essayists in advanced?
Reason I'm asking is that we're always encouraged to do so in ext 1, but never hear of it in adv

thank you!!

No they don't have to be well known, but yes you certainly can quote them in Advanced! You'll most likely see quoting scholars in Advanced in Module B, but it can be done in other modules too :)

bananna

• Trendsetter
« Reply #157 on: March 16, 2017, 04:19:08 pm »
No they don't have to be well known, but yes you certainly can quote them in Advanced! You'll most likely see quoting scholars in Advanced in Module B, but it can be done in other modules too :)

thank you!
also, we have a task just on plath -1 poem and 1 related
in my first plath paragraph, i have 2 quotes from the same person--simone de beauvoir
i feel like they enhance my piece but,
is that fine or should I seek some variety?
thanks!

bananna

• Trendsetter
« Reply #158 on: March 16, 2017, 05:55:59 pm »
hi
also, (sorry for asking so many questions),
i want to compare Plath's (prescribed) arrival of the bee box and hiroshima by john hersey
one of the way s i want to do this is compare Plath's questioning of the unnatural role of women in society (and then provide a feminist reading of the poem) and the victims of hiroshima questioning the unnatural power of the bomb.

my question's got to do with how the construction of character explores ideas about power.

here are my topic sentences :

Influenced by a growing defiance of conservative societal values, composers writing in the post-bomb period pursue questions of the unnatural power of women in a patriarchal society. Such is true of Plath, a confessional poet, grappling with her identity alone, as a female in the early ‘60s.

While Plath confronts the post-war mentality of the unnatural treatment of a woman in a pre-dominantly male society, the victims of Hiroshima struggle to understand the extent of the unnatural power of the bomb that changed their lives.

is that a strong enough link (exploration of the natural/unnatural)?
should I provide a feminist viewpoint for Hiroshima as well?

thank you!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #159 on: March 16, 2017, 11:13:54 pm »
thank you!
also, we have a task just on plath -1 poem and 1 related
in my first plath paragraph, i have 2 quotes from the same person--simone de beauvoir
i feel like they enhance my piece but,
is that fine or should I seek some variety?
thanks!

No i think that's definitely fine! :)

hi
also, (sorry for asking so many questions),
i want to compare Plath's (prescribed) arrival of the bee box and hiroshima by john hersey
one of the way s i want to do this is compare Plath's questioning of the unnatural role of women in society (and then provide a feminist reading of the poem) and the victims of hiroshima questioning the unnatural power of the bomb.

my question's got to do with how the construction of character explores ideas about power.

here are my topic sentences :

Influenced by a growing defiance of conservative societal values, composers writing in the post-bomb period pursue questions of the unnatural power of women in a patriarchal society. Such is true of Plath, a confessional poet, grappling with her identity alone, as a female in the early ‘60s.

While Plath confronts the post-war mentality of the unnatural treatment of a woman in a pre-dominantly male society, the victims of Hiroshima struggle to understand the extent of the unnatural power of the bomb that changed their lives.

is that a strong enough link (exploration of the natural/unnatural)?
should I provide a feminist viewpoint for Hiroshima as well?

thank you!

I just want to be clear on what you mean by the unnatural position? Do you mean, the position of women who have broken the bounds of the place the patriarchal demands sits them? What do you mean by unnatural? What is the unnatural treatment?

The link seems great, and your writing is very well articulated, but I just don't know what you mean by unnatural..

Providing a feminist critical theory to Hersey's work could be beneficial for linking, but don't force it if it isn't natural. You could be a little intersectional with this as well, and take on a marxist (class-based) reading that links the two together, if one lends itself to the other more.

Let me know your thoughts on unnatural and then I can be more critical in my advice to be more helpful! :)

bananna

• Trendsetter
« Reply #160 on: March 17, 2017, 07:21:20 am »
No i think that's definitely fine! :)

I just want to be clear on what you mean by the unnatural position? Do you mean, the position of women who have broken the bounds of the place the patriarchal demands sits them? What do you mean by unnatural? What is the unnatural treatment?

The link seems great, and your writing is very well articulated, but I just don't know what you mean by unnatural..

Providing a feminist critical theory to Hersey's work could be beneficial for linking, but don't force it if it isn't natural. You could be a little intersectional with this as well, and take on a marxist (class-based) reading that links the two together, if one lends itself to the other more.

Let me know your thoughts on unnatural and then I can be more critical in my advice to be more helpful! :)

hi,
sorry, I think i realised later on that my wording was unclear and changed my t.s a little
i now mean that it is unnatural to have an all-male power structure in society, because the world is not all-male.
(does that make sense or should I articulate it further in my essay?)
thanks for the advice!
btw this is the paragraph can you please tell me what you think?
thank you!!

Influenced by a growing defiance of conservative societal values, composers writing in the post-bomb period pursue questions of the power of women in an unnatural patriarchal society. Such is true of Plath, a confessional poet, grappling with her identity alone, as a female in the early ‘60s. As Simone de Beauvoir remarks, “the destiny that society traditionally offers women is marriage”. Plath acknowledges this likelihood, but attempts to dismiss it within the connotations imposed upon the word “I ordered” bringing to light the dichotomous thematic concerns over power and subjugation, nonetheless, foreshadowing her superiority complex. The persona establishes her dominance over the bees in the truncated sentence “I am the owner”: a direct defiance of post-war societal values. However, the audience sees a tonal shift in the sixth paragraph, where the persona wonders “how hungry they are” and debates freeing them: alluding to the myth of Daphne. This volte-face succeeds her epiphany that the bees, like her, are victims. However, the persona does not consider herself a mother to the bees, rather, a ‘protector’; diction free from gender bias. This echoes the persona’s disengagement with her identity as a mother in ‘Morning Song’, utilizing sibilance as the baby “shadows our safety”. As De Beauvoir colloquially states, a woman may feel detached from her child as “she has no past in common with this little stranger”, which is why the persona of ‘Arrival of the Bee Box’ does not identify with the term ‘mother’. Hence, it is this power struggle the persona faces that allows Plath to attempt to understand the position of women in an unnatural patriarchal society.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 07:25:40 am by bananna »

bsdfjnlkasn

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #161 on: March 17, 2017, 08:30:33 pm »

hi,
sorry, I think i realised later on that my wording was unclear and changed my t.s a little
i now mean that it is unnatural to have an all-male power structure in society, because the world is not all-male.
(does that make sense or should I articulate it further in my essay?)
thanks for the advice!
btw this is the paragraph can you please tell me what you think?
thank you!!

Influenced by a growing defiance of conservative societal values, composers writing in the post-bomb period pursue questions of the power of women in an unnatural patriarchal society. Such is true of Plath, a confessional poet, grappling with her identity alone, as a female in the early ‘60s. As Simone de Beauvoir remarks, “the destiny that society traditionally offers women is marriage”. Plath acknowledges this likelihood, but attempts to dismiss it within the connotations imposed upon the word “I ordered” bringing to light the dichotomous thematic concerns over power and subjugation, nonetheless, foreshadowing her superiority complex. The persona establishes her dominance over the bees in the truncated sentence “I am the owner”: a direct defiance of post-war societal values. However, the audience sees a tonal shift in the sixth paragraph, where the persona wonders “how hungry they are” and debates freeing them: alluding to the myth of Daphne. This volte-face succeeds her epiphany that the bees, like her, are victims. However, the persona does not consider herself a mother to the bees, rather, a ‘protector’; diction free from gender bias. This echoes the persona’s disengagement with her identity as a mother in ‘Morning Song’, utilizing sibilance as the baby “shadows our safety”. As De Beauvoir colloquially states, a woman may feel detached from her child as “she has no past in common with this little stranger”, which is why the persona of ‘Arrival of the Bee Box’ does not identify with the term ‘mother’. Hence, it is this power struggle the persona faces that allows Plath to attempt to understand the position of women in an unnatural patriarchal society.

Hey just a thought on how you've explained your use of unnatural - maybe use the word unjust as this makes your feminist reading of Plath's poem clearer without having to explicitly say that that's what you're doing  :)

stephjones

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #162 on: March 19, 2017, 08:52:45 pm »
hey! I was just wondering, in terms of essay structure, is it okay to have less focus on your related texts? My teacher always says try to get an even amount of analysis in for each text, but would it be okay if I structured it like this? (give or take a few paragraphs)

P1 - Prescribed and related1
P2 - Prescribed and related2
P3 - Prescribed and related1
P4 - Prescribed and related2

or would it be better if I used one paragraph to integrate my two related texts? (:
HSC 2017 (ATAR - 98.40) - English Advanced (95), English Extension 1 (47), Mathematics (92), Mathematics Extension 1 (43), Modern History (92), Biology (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48)

USYD 2018 - Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical) and Bachelor of Arts

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #163 on: March 19, 2017, 09:30:11 pm »
+1
hey! I was just wondering, in terms of essay structure, is it okay to have less focus on your related texts? My teacher always says try to get an even amount of analysis in for each text, but would it be okay if I structured it like this? (give or take a few paragraphs)

P1 - Prescribed and related1
P2 - Prescribed and related2
P3 - Prescribed and related1
P4 - Prescribed and related2

or would it be better if I used one paragraph to integrate my two related texts? (:

That structure seems fine by me! Go with whatever works the best for your ideas, that's where you're going to get your marks!! 😃
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

stephjones

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #164 on: March 19, 2017, 10:19:17 pm »
That structure seems fine by me! Go with whatever works the best for your ideas, that's where you're going to get your marks!! 😃

awesome, thank you! (:
HSC 2017 (ATAR - 98.40) - English Advanced (95), English Extension 1 (47), Mathematics (92), Mathematics Extension 1 (43), Modern History (92), Biology (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48)

USYD 2018 - Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical) and Bachelor of Arts