Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 02:49:29 am

Author Topic: English Extension 1 Question Thread  (Read 151768 times)  Share 

gkim1

• Adventurer
  • Crying about how I want the HSC to be over.
  • Respect: 0
Re: English Extension 1 Question Thread
« Reply #225 on: July 26, 2017, 10:37:32 pm »
I don't have much either but I would suggest looking into the context/history of the period and finding little examples that could make interesting stories eg. the Peterloo massacre :)
Sounds interesting. I'll have a look! Thanks! :)
HSC 2017: Advanced Eng / Extension Eng / Business Studies / Legal Studies / Ancient History / General Maths / Studies of Religion

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #226 on: August 06, 2017, 09:16:31 pm »
What is the best way to study for an ext1 english exam
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

maria1999

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #227 on: August 07, 2017, 04:43:53 pm »
+2
What is the best way to study for an ext1 english exam
hey!
I'm not Elyse lol and I do struggle hella hard with this subject but I think I developed some strategies to make life easier.
So:
1. Know your context well. Like really well. I had to brush up with the after the bomb period as it is basically the cold war period which I studied in year 10 but forgot all about ahaha.This is super important for consolidating arguments as links to contexts are particularly important for essays in this subject and module. It's also very important for creatives as one of my criticisms was not actually specifying a date where my creative took place within the story.

2. Know your texts omg. I was so lazy with this and I'm cramming hard before the exam on Thursday but make sure you have a good understanding of the texts which your studying because ext.1 past essay questions aren't like advanced exams and you'll need to be able to adapt your knowledge of your texts to the question which is being asked of you.

3. I think my teacher told me this, but I don't remember. Try and organise your essay in ways of thinking which are being presented or ideas being explored perhaps? I've started to do this and I have found it is making essay planning much much easier.

4. Find as many past paper questions and either try and do them or do an essay plan on how to approach them.

That's all I can think of, all the best!

(edit) JUST realised that a lot of these are specific to after the bomb, so apologies if thats not your module hahaha
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 09:01:24 pm by maria1999 »

maria1999

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #228 on: August 07, 2017, 04:49:36 pm »
hey everyone!
I'm currently revising waiting for godot and I was wondering if anyone had any good quotes or scenes that really focus on class struggle? I know the whole Lucky and Pozzo dynamic is about that, but is there a scene or some excerpts which really capture this?
Thank you!

taylorlucy

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #229 on: August 08, 2017, 01:06:10 pm »
Hi! Is it ideal to be referencing quotes of academics/philosophers in an extension essay? Thanks! :-)
2017 HSC: Advanced English / Extension 1 English / Mathematics / Extension 1 Maths / Biology / Visual Arts

ATAR: 93.55

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #230 on: August 08, 2017, 02:29:15 pm »
Hi! Is it ideal to be referencing quotes of academics/philosophers in an extension essay? Thanks! :-)

I think it's a great way to improve the sophistication AND quality of your essay! I included them in mine :)

hey everyone!
I'm currently revising waiting for godot and I was wondering if anyone had any good quotes or scenes that really focus on class struggle? I know the whole Lucky and Pozzo dynamic is about that, but is there a scene or some excerpts which really capture this?
Thank you!

I didn't actually talk about class struggle in mine - because I don't think Lucky and Pozzo are a representation of that. However, I know of people have espoused this reading before, because I researched it to talk about the metanarratives of seeing the two of them as representative of the economic systems. I'm rusty now, but a lot of things online seemed to point to the seen where they fall into their baggage, and used that as a metaphor. So that might be a place to look! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #231 on: August 08, 2017, 03:18:46 pm »
Suggested word length and amount of pages used for creative and the essay?
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #232 on: August 08, 2017, 03:23:59 pm »
Suggested word length and amount of pages used for creative and the essay?

You have an hour for each (or at least we do) so definitely aim for at least 8 for each with 10 being the ultimate goal :) But remember with the essay to be less descriptive and make sure everything you are saying is stuff that will get you marks!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 03:25:45 pm by dancing phalanges »
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #233 on: August 08, 2017, 03:41:38 pm »
You have an hour for each (or at least we do) so definitely aim for at least 8 for each with 10 being the ultimate goal :) But remember with the essay to be less descriptive and make sure everything you are saying is stuff that will get you marks!

Great thanks, do you know how many different paragraphs/ideas are recommended? 
HSC subjects

Evie mort

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #234 on: August 08, 2017, 05:28:45 pm »
hey, just wondering how often (if ever) does the essay question ask for reference to 3 related texts? I've heard it's usually 2

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #235 on: August 08, 2017, 05:29:08 pm »
Great thanks, do you know how many different paragraphs/ideas are recommended?

I personally structure my essays by each text eg. Para 1 Lime tree bower, Para 2 frankenstein para 3 chimney sweeper para 4 wuthering heights while making links in between eg. while coleridges LTB explores the transformative power of the creative mind of the individual, Mary Shelley in her novel Frankenstein highlights the potential flaws within man's creative genius.
Some people i know structure it as 1 para for each paradigm and how each text explores that but personally i just use my method because i find it simpler and less messy to follow but markers may like the second one equally!
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #236 on: August 08, 2017, 05:30:11 pm »
+1
hey, just wondering how often (if ever) does the essay question ask for reference to 3 related texts? I've heard it's usually 2

Nah id be 100% certain it would be only 2, but if you want to prepare yourself just going over even a painting is a nice back up since you dont have to worry about memorising quotes. but yeah pretty sure it will only ask for 2

Evie mort

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #237 on: August 08, 2017, 05:36:45 pm »
Nah id be 100% certain it would be only 2, but if you want to prepare yourself just going over even a painting is a nice back up since you dont have to worry about memorising quotes. but yeah pretty sure it will only ask for 2

thanks! and is it generally be the same for prescribed texts, as in they'll only ask for 2?

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #238 on: August 08, 2017, 06:08:33 pm »
I personally structure my essays by each text eg. Para 1 Lime tree bower, Para 2 frankenstein para 3 chimney sweeper para 4 wuthering heights while making links in between eg. while coleridges LTB explores the transformative power of the creative mind of the individual, Mary Shelley in her novel Frankenstein highlights the potential flaws within man's creative genius.
Some people i know structure it as 1 para for each paradigm and how each text explores that but personally i just use my method because i find it simpler and less messy to follow but markers may like the second one equally!

Yeah that is what my plan of attack is for trials, but wasn't sure if others did so too. Glad to hear they do, thank you!!
HSC subjects

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #239 on: August 08, 2017, 06:10:04 pm »
thanks! and is it generally be the same for prescribed texts, as in they'll only ask for 2?

From all the papers I have looked at they have only asked for two, would be a bit rough if they changed that but have you seen last year's paper (for ATB)? That seemed quite tough in contrast of previous years that have had broader questions asked
HSC subjects