Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 06:30:18 pm

Author Topic: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION  (Read 383459 times)  Share 

SynX

• Trendsetter
  • excelsior to reach for the stars
  • Respect: 0
Re: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION
« Reply #1605 on: September 04, 2019, 07:48:06 am »
ooo really? So is there like any ‘waiting list email’ or not and second round offers are released on the 9th correct? I honestly keep wondering what I could’ve improved on to get in because personally I felt like I did pretty well and I had a lot of achievements so  :-\
The original email says you should wait...usually it’s September 9th but they told you to wait until the end of October. If by then you don’t receive any email you will be unsuccessful...
Upward and outward, no matter the cost.

marble2

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #1606 on: September 04, 2019, 06:44:23 pm »
The original email says you should wait...usually it’s September 9th but they told you to wait until the end of October. If by then you don’t receive any email you will be unsuccessful...
yep cool thanks SynX, for those of you that got in, i've got some questions
-did u do well in the group component
-how did you go in the puzzle
-how was ur individuall interview
-how many achievements did you have and what were they about?
sorry i have so many questions i juts want to guage where i'm standing lol ;)
2020: Philosophy
2021: English | Literature | Biology
2022: Mathematical Methods | Psychology | Chemistry

SynX

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1607 on: September 04, 2019, 08:00:55 pm »
yep cool thanks SynX, for those of you that got in, i've got some questions
-did u do well in the group component
-how did you go in the puzzle
-how was ur individuall interview
-how many achievements did you have and what were they about?
sorry i have so many questions i juts want to guage where i'm standing lol ;)
When doing the group chat I suddenly realized to contribute anything I can do on that time topic. Including science and stuff
For the maths quiz... it was quite easy, just factorizing, or simply multiplication and addition
For the Individual interview, I did replied with my knowledge and hard thinking, but it is kind of different from what I have prepared for. I have to make the thinking’s right there and I used some quotes from the information night.
I don’t bring achievements, because simply I don’t have them. I have explained it to be the relatively short time I stayed at here, so I don’t know much and join competitions. But I did prepare for AIMO later.

Tommy_01

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1608 on: September 04, 2019, 08:07:16 pm »
When doing the group chat I suddenly realized to contribute anything I can do on that time topic. Including science and stuff
For the maths quiz... it was quite easy, just factorizing, or simply multiplication and addition
For the Individual interview, I did replied with my knowledge and hard thinking, but it is kind of different from what I have prepared for. I have to make the thinking’s right there and I used some quotes from the information night.
I don’t bring achievements, because simply I don’t have them. I have explained it to be the relatively short time I stayed at here, so I don’t know much and join competitions. But I did prepare for AIMO later.

You got the chocolate question, right? How did you answer it? Also, what was your response to the global warming question?

breathe123

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1609 on: September 05, 2019, 07:35:31 am »
You got the chocolate question, right? How did you answer it? Also, what was your response to the global warming question?
I really dont think that the mathematics question/puzzle matters because I can almost guarantee you i didnt get I part right. I think it was just like a breather for those who were not comfortable talking for long periods of time.

SynX

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1610 on: September 05, 2019, 01:34:54 pm »
Hey there! First of all the only major positive I had on my side was that I was a STEM Captain at my current high school, so that was pretty big. Tbh, I am more of a bookworm than possibly anyone in this forum! So I barely had any extracurricular activities, except for some that were quite decent but not amazing. What else, I had a Resume, and a Cover letter and some major achievements in Co-curricular activities (like being placed in the top 5% globally for the Language Perfect World Championships). And trust me, DW about the maths quiz, I only managed to finish half of the question properly  (the first one  :P) and I still got in. That just goes to show that the maths quiz was really just a warmup and a bridge to the one on one interviews. The interviews was better than most of my group discussion, and I managed to talk about Climate Change question pretty well by addressing multiple perspectives. Hope that helps :)
Oh, that’s a lot, no doubt you got in. I don’t even expect to have one quarter of those achievements... plus we don’t have a “STEM captain” in our school, all the stuff I think I can get at school is a maths tutor...
And add one those global top 5% and AMO high distinction... That’s beyond awesome and now I feel extremely stressed... as I can barely handle AIMO coming up soon. Damn it, I thought achievements will increase your chance getting in but not compulsory, now I completely lose hope for second round.
I prepared pretty hard for the test but never mind the achievements. The only thing I think I did well was the maths quiz. I got here a short time and I don’t have much chance to compete...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 01:38:20 pm by SynX »

SynX

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1611 on: September 05, 2019, 02:50:33 pm »
https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=187433.msg1131852#msg1131852
I have made a new topic regarding the status of JMSS testing!
Please vote and share your experience!

artemis1102

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1612 on: September 05, 2019, 07:30:38 pm »
Hey guys, I got in. Just want to thank the forum for all of ur help while studying for the interview and the test

Rohan1176

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1613 on: September 05, 2019, 07:40:51 pm »
Does anyone know where to find the "Acceptable Use of Information Technologies Policy" for JMSS?

SynX

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1614 on: September 05, 2019, 08:16:16 pm »
Hey guys, I got in. Just want to thank the forum for all of ur help while studying for the interview and the test
I didn't get in even with all the help here... it might nit even matter that much after all.

Neutronic

• Adventurer
« Reply #1615 on: September 05, 2019, 09:42:06 pm »
Hello guys I got into John Monash Science School, I was the only one in my entire school to get in. I am just wondering. What do we revise for the Maths Methods test? ???

Good luck to everyone waiting for second round offers. Hope you get in. ;)

I think I mostly got in from showing all my hobbies and interests. As well as bringing in a live Queen ant within a test tube which amazed the interviewer. :D

Hopefully I see some of you guys at JMSS.

Neutronic

• Adventurer
« Reply #1616 on: September 05, 2019, 09:58:26 pm »
The email I recieved if you guys would like to see it.

Dear parent
As a result of the recent assessment process for entry to John Monash Science School, I write to offer Neutronic a place in Year 10 for 2020. I would like to sincerely congratulate you and Neutronic on this achievement. Edutest results will be available on request in Term 4.
In order for us to finalise our total Year 10 enrolment for next year, you need to accept this offer no later than the close of business 9th Sept 2019. In order to accept the offer, I would ask that you: ..... (talks about what you need to bring for enrolment and how to fill the documents)

(Neutronic is not my real name by the way.)

I would like to thank you for your interest and confidence in our school and very much look forward to working with you and Neutronic next year.
Yours sincerely
Peter Corkill
Principal

c/o Monash University LPO
P.O. Box 8016, Monash University
Victoria, Australia  3800

breathe123

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1617 on: September 05, 2019, 10:27:46 pm »
The email I recieved if you guys would like to see it.

Dear parent
As a result of the recent assessment process for entry to John Monash Science School, I write to offer Neutronic a place in Year 10 for 2020. I would like to sincerely congratulate you and Neutronic on this achievement. Edutest results will be available on request in Term 4.
In order for us to finalise our total Year 10 enrolment for next year, you need to accept this offer no later than the close of business 9th Sept 2019. In order to accept the offer, I would ask that you: ..... (talks about what you need to bring for enrolment and how to fill the documents)

(Neutronic is not my real name by the way.)

I would like to thank you for your interest and confidence in our school and very much look forward to working with you and Neutronic next year.
Yours sincerely
Peter Corkill
Principal

c/o Monash University LPO
P.O. Box 8016, Monash University
Victoria, Australia  3800
Hey Neutronic, did you get a first-round or second-round offer?

Tommy_01

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1618 on: September 05, 2019, 10:39:02 pm »
the second round haven't came out yet. also, on his email its says to reconfirm by 9th of spetember which means he given it on the 2nd

Nightmare II

• Adventurer
« Reply #1619 on: September 05, 2019, 11:01:37 pm »
I think I got in because I hit their sweet spots,I just looked through their yr 10 course and on it was nanotechnology,which was something I couldn’t shut up about during the 1 on 1 interview. I definitively think that was a huge bonus for me and probably really impressed the interviewer.