Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 02, 2024, 04:15:20 am

Author Topic: The Good Books Thread/ATARnotes Book Club!  (Read 171340 times)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: The Good Books Thread/ATARnotes Book Club!
« Reply #630 on: December 27, 2017, 05:22:09 pm »
+2
I’m 30 pages in to “The Power” by Naomi Alderman. It’s a 2016 dystopian book. It seems to have the main premise as women developing some kind of electrical ability through their bones, thus making them the dominant gender. Will keep you all updated! Has anyone read it?

I was told if I liked the Handmaid’s Tale that I’d like this too!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

bimberfairy

• Trendsetter
  • Dedicate the present to working on yourself
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #631 on: December 28, 2017, 12:13:42 pm »
+3
I just discovered this thread and am so happy!!! I love reading books and it's cool to have a place to discuss them. Just a couple of my personal favourites and recommendations:
"The Truth About Alice" by Jennifer Mathieu: Multiple perspectives. Deals with some heavy topics but is so eye-opening + the narrators' voices are really honest and personal. I felt like I was reading a diary at some parts.
"This Song Will Save Your Life" by Leila Sales: Covers high school bullying and finding that one place that is your own
"The Rest of Us Just Live Here" by Patrick Ness: Really interesting concept! It explores the "background" characters in your typical hero stories. The ones who just want to continue on with their life and walk to their next class instead of having to deal with the hero battling a monster. Think Colin Creevey from Harry Potter lmao.

I’m 30 pages in to “The Power” by Naomi Alderman. It’s a 2016 dystopian book. It seems to have the main premise as women developing some kind of electrical ability through their bones, thus making them the dominant gender. Will keep you all updated! Has anyone read it?

I was told if I liked the Handmaid’s Tale that I’d like this too!

I really liked The Handmaid's Tale (That ending though!!!!!) and am trying to find other books similar to it. Will definitely check this one out!
HSC 2017: Mathematics Extension | Mathematics Advanced | English Advanced | Biology | Legal Studies | Business Studies
2018: Bachelor of Commerce/Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars) @ USYD

"Everyone's fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

abbeyrose

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #632 on: January 03, 2018, 10:59:16 pm »
+3
To those who enjoy reading Classics, what are your favourites? I finished Thomas Hardy's Tess of the D'Urbervilles not too long ago (which I absolutely loved) and am currently reading Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray. I'm always looking to expand my TBR list!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 11:03:12 pm by abbeyrose »
2016-2017 (VCE): English, Legal Studies, Further Maths, HHD, Psychology, History: Global Empires
2019-: Monash University

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
« Reply #633 on: January 04, 2018, 07:09:00 am »
+5
Did someone say Classics?  ::)

I love finding people who love Classics as much as I do! Thinking off the top of my head, I’d recommend:
- Pride and Prejudice, Emma, or Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
- Nineteen Eighty-Four or Keep the Aspidistra Flying by George Orwell
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (And while you’re at it, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall and Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte, and Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte)
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
- Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh
- A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle
- Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
- The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James

:)

falalalala

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #634 on: January 04, 2018, 10:18:47 am »
+1
How to Set a Fire and Why by Jesse Ball:
It's been a while since I've read this, but it has a special place in my heart. Its just so refreshing to have a female protagonist that is mentally tough, verbally crude (I remember quite a lot of swearing -really unfiltered!) but has her own set of values she sticks to. I don't think there's much of a plot to this book, but you see how Lucia tackles day-to-day obstacles and just get a feel of how she thinks. Jesse Ball writes in such an easy to read, poetic style that you feel like you're Lucia's best friend while reading. You just gotta check out the book to see what I mean.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak:
The Messenger by Markus Zusak:
This man is God's gift to humanity. I don't even know where to start. I love his writing style; it's simple, it flows and the imagery he uses -I JUST CAN'T. Don't even know if I can directly reference some of his writings but there's a line in The Book Thief that stuck with me where he describes roads 'like ruptured veins' or something like that. He has such control over words. Just ... JUST READ ALL HIS BOOKS.

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #635 on: January 04, 2018, 10:25:38 am »
am currently reading Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray.
How are you finding this? I don't know if to read it or not!

hegihugo

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #636 on: January 04, 2018, 10:33:30 am »
+2
I’m currently reading the inferno by Dante Alleghri (I think that’s how you spell it) and the Prince By Machiavelli

bimberfairy

• Trendsetter
  • Dedicate the present to working on yourself
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #637 on: January 04, 2018, 11:22:48 am »
+1
I’m currently reading the inferno by Dante Alleghri (I think that’s how you spell it) and the Prince By Machiavelli

I've had a copy of Inferno sitting on my bookshelf and burning a hole through the wood for months! I'd love to hear your current thoughts on it?
HSC 2017: Mathematics Extension | Mathematics Advanced | English Advanced | Biology | Legal Studies | Business Studies
2018: Bachelor of Commerce/Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars) @ USYD

"Everyone's fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

rosecookiie

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #638 on: January 04, 2018, 03:57:29 pm »
+2
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak:
The Messenger by Markus Zusak:
This man is God's gift to humanity. I don't even know where to start. I love his writing style; it's simple, it flows and the imagery he uses -I JUST CAN'T. Don't even know if I can directly reference some of his writings but there's a line in The Book Thief that stuck with me where he describes roads 'like ruptured veins' or something like that. He has such control over words. Just ... JUST READ ALL HIS BOOKS.

I love Markus Zusak's The Book thief, he is an exceptional writer and storyteller!
I'm currently reading Sapiens: A history of humankind by Yuval Noah Harari

I was never one for lengthy non fiction science books, but in my opinion this is a must read.
Petit a petit, l’oiseau fait son nid

itssona

• MOTM: APR 17
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #639 on: January 04, 2018, 04:05:19 pm »
+1
To those who enjoy reading Classics, what are your favourites? I finished Thomas Hardy's Tess of the D'Urbervilles not too long ago (which I absolutely loved) and am currently reading Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray. I'm always looking to expand my TBR list!  ;D
love that! Frankenstein is a must, and Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
also Virginia Woolf is amazing - read Mrs Dalloway and To the lighthouse
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 05:40:44 pm by sssona09 »
HSC 2018 : Maths 3U, Maths 4U, English Advanced, Biology, Physics, Chemistry

Aearator

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #640 on: January 04, 2018, 05:03:11 pm »
+2
I don’t know if this has already been said or not, but I would highly recommend reading 1984 and Brave New World. They were both really good though personally I liked the concept of Brave New World better.
To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift.

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
« Reply #641 on: January 04, 2018, 05:50:36 pm »
+4
Although a little confronting at times, I’d really recommend The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood. Atwood’s writing style is truly astonishing. A very thought provoking read.
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #642 on: January 04, 2018, 07:02:56 pm »
+2
I recently just finished a sci fi book called ‘A Thousand Pieces of You’ by Claudia Gray. It’s all about travelling between different dimensions and how both fate and mathematics contribute to destiny. Would recommend this book to anyone! (There are also two more books in the series. I’m currently reading the second book)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #643 on: January 04, 2018, 07:08:30 pm »
+3
Currently reading sci-fi book Zero Repeat Forever, book 1 of the Nahx series. Interested to see how I go with the book, as it's not usually my style! ;D
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

abbeyrose

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #644 on: January 04, 2018, 08:29:54 pm »
+1
How are you finding this? I don't know if to read it or not!
I actually quite like it. It's certainly different to what I was expecting, however I'm really enjoying Wilde's writing style. Having just read something from Thomas Hardy, whose writing style is rather beautiful and poetic despite a depressing plot, it is a pleasant change. Due to Christmas and New Years, I've been having trouble committing to reading though so I feel like I'm not enjoying it as much as I could. I'd recommend you read it nonetheless. :)
2016-2017 (VCE): English, Legal Studies, Further Maths, HHD, Psychology, History: Global Empires
2019-: Monash University