Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 06:19:22 pm

Author Topic: VCE English Exam - Context Discussion  (Read 3774 times)

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
VCE English Exam - Context Discussion
« on: October 26, 2016, 12:18:23 pm »
+8
Section B

So what did you think? Easy? Hard? Everything you'd dreamed it would be? The product of your worst nightmares? Drop your thoughts below!

Some general comments: this was the very last year for Context as it's being culled and replaced with a new AOS for next year, but on the whole, these were some fairly accessible prompts. Each one had a fairly specific key concept that might've thrown some people off-balance, but boiling down the core concerns should result in a pretty straightforward essence...

Imaginative Landscape:    Personal experiences can change our relationship with the landscape.

As always, the IL prompt is essentially saying 'imagination affects landscape,' though the idea of 'experiences' here would've necessitated a bit more specificity in your examples. Also, the question of how these experiences change our view of landscapes would also warrant discussion, ideally, though if you didn't touch on this aspect, you'd probably be fine. Provided you were able to do something interesting with the question of why experiences change our relationship with landscapes, this would have worked for a wide variety of evidence and ideas.

Whose Reality?   Our ideas of reality are dominated by self-interest.

'Self-interest' is this year's specific concept, which might've been tricky if you were relying heavily on the Beautiful Forevers novel or Foe. Both could still have been linked, but Wag the Dog and Death of a Salesman probably had the more obvious surface-level connections. This is also a prompt that calls on you to talk about 'our ideas of reality,' which hints at notions of perspective and perception (which you could also link to the question of subjectivity, though that's an optional connection). But the most obvious part that would need unpacking is that key term 'self-interest,' and the overall implication that we affect our realities for our own benefit. That said, the fact that they've included 'dominated' here means you might consider discussing other contributing factors that work in tandem with our own self-interest in order to create or influence reality. Overall, whilst it may seem oddly specific at first, this prompt does tie in well to most of the core questions in WR, so fingers crossed it worked well with the ideas you had in mind!

Encountering Conflict:    Our encounters with conflict usually cannot be avoided.

This is a very straightforward one, expression-wise. 'We can't avoid conflict' - doesn't get much simpler than that! However, if you hadn't at all considered the possibility of 'avoiding conflict' before, this might've posed a bit of a challenge. Unfortunately, the question of whether or not conflict can be avoided might've eliminated quite a few examples or bits of evidence, depending on what you had prepared. However, variations on this prompt have been kicking around for ages (and I know this has come up on practice exams in the past), so hopefully it's something you will have at the very least talked about in class or thought about at some stage this year. And as always, building out to why conflict is supposedly unavoidable would've been ideal, so you may've worked in some discussion of either the causes or the consequences of conflict here, depending on your preferences and the ideas you wanted to mention. I reckon this one was pretty fair on the whole; they've been a lot crueller with conflict in the past!

Identity and Belonging:     We understand who we are when we recognise the people we belong with.
This is a bit odd on the surface; the notion of 'recognition' is a bit strange, but once you get your head around that, things get a lot easier. Like most Id&b prompts, you can turn this into a 'identity-depends-on-belonging' prompt, with a bit of an added twist in the form of 'understanding' identity and 'recognising'/being aware of where we belong. I reckon you'd probably need to broaden the definition of 'recognise' here to incorporate particular texts, but what's most important is that you engaged with the overall statement here, and hopefully that was relatively accessible for you!

« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 12:33:47 pm by literally lauren »

postera

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE English Exam - Context Discussion
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 02:59:03 pm »
Section B

So what did you think? Easy? Hard? Everything you'd dreamed it would be? The product of your worst nightmares? Drop your thoughts below!

Encountering Conflict:    Our encounters with conflict usually cannot be avoided.

Hi all,

I found this prompt fairly reasonable. Initially, I intended to write about three main ideas: conflicts on a small-scale cannot be avoided, conflicts on a large-scale cannot be avoided, and finally how some small-scale conflicts can be avoided through approaches such as increased communication and compromise- but I couldn't come up with any for this last one. I decided to go with the first two, as well as how internal/inner conflict has a tendency to be  unavoidable and inevitable.

I'd like to think that my first two points were rather sound and strong, but my third, not so much. Any idea how much this will affect my score? I hope it doesn't ruin the overall balance and cohesion of piece. 

I hope everyone went well.

Thanks in advance

fitz.hickey

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 03:18:50 pm »
+1
Whose Reality?   Our ideas of reality are dominated by self-interest.

Thankfully studied WtD and DoaS through the year, so the self-interest aspect was pretty apparent, both of the individual driving themselves as well as others' impact upon someone.

Overall I found it pretty decent, but I bet tomorrow morning I'll feel as though I missed something lol
Hopeful to get
English: 43+
Global Pol: 37+
Further Maths: 30+ (lol)
Psych: 35+
Revs: 40+

ATAR aim: 88+

Hoping to do Journalism @ RMIT or BoA at Melbourne or Monash

Bumpstead

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 03:55:01 pm »
what does an assessor think when you forgot to fill in a quote that you left blank to go back to??  >:( :'(

Litigator

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 04:08:36 pm »
what does an assessor think when you forgot to fill in a quote that you left blank to go back to??  >:( :'(

Better than no quote. It shows you were gonna put one but ran out of time. That in itself is better than no quote.
vce
monash arts/business
rmit accounting/finance

portrao

• Adventurer
  • School: Trava
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 04:11:21 pm »
Dumb question incoming to douse my sadness:

I was pretty pushed for time and so my last body paragraph was fairly short and not that well developed... but I managed to scribble out a quick conclusion, what's the highest mark you can get with a undeveloped 3rd paragraph?

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 04:46:33 pm »
+3
Dumb question incoming to douse my sadness:

I was pretty pushed for time and so my last body paragraph was fairly short and not that well developed... but I managed to scribble out a quick conclusion, what's the highest mark you can get with a undeveloped 3rd paragraph?

It's difficult to say, as context pieces work differently from the other sections. Context is focused on the development of overarching ideas as opposed to a checklist of items or structure like in language analysis (at least for the most part). Even if one paragraph was underdeveloped, the piece as a whole may still convey the ideas pretty neatly. I didn't finish my context piece last year (wrote one less body para than I had planned to) and still got 18 or 19/20.

Try not to worry too much  :)
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

larissaaa_

• Forum Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 05:44:04 pm »
Soooo, did anyone else really dislike the encountering conflict prompt or was it just me? It was straightforward, but maybe because this year everyone's been saying vcaa are threatening some curveball since it's the last year of context so I prepared all the harder prompts then got stuck when I encountered a simple broader one! Also, purely for my sake bc I probably won't stop stressing until I get my study score, can someone tell me if these arguments sound somewhat decent?

1. The pervasive nature of conflict means we can sometimes be unwillingly forced into it, even as bystanders. (Example was from Every Man in this Village is a Liar)
2. As individuals we all have our own values and morals that will undoubtedly clash with those held by others. (Used an example that didn't even match bc I was so stressed and pushed for time  :-\ Said something about some people hold the view that muslims and terrorists have the same meaning but that this is what terror organisations want, idek tbh)
3. Previous conflicts can sometimes shape or cause future conflicts, further ensuring that encountering conflict is unavoidable. (Example- British colonisation of Aboriginal land in the 18th century, Indigenous Australians still suffering and facing conflict today).

THANK YA :)

Lauren Washington

• Adventurer
VCE English Exam - Context Discussion
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 04:09:41 pm »
Did anyone think the given prompt for Wild Cat Falling was difficult or am I the only one?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 04:24:27 pm by Lauren Washington »