Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 30, 2024, 02:21:14 am

Author Topic: HSC Business Studies Question Thread  (Read 223535 times)  Share 

BradMate

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Business Studies Question Thread
« Reply #375 on: October 22, 2017, 10:46:06 pm »
+1
definitely - i had super big writing - like 7 words a page.

IN terms of diagrams:
it really depends on the question:
some that i remember were business cycles, business life/product life cycles, break even point, this was a bit like desperate but I even included a diagram of the 4 HR processes in like a cycle ahahah was a bit weird but I did it.

If you draw the diagram, make sure you explain it though. so refer to the diagram, put points A/B/C if needed and explain how it relates to the business scenario.

Hi Isaac,
Are diagrams necessary to get a 19-20/20? Or at least, do markers prefer responses with diagrams?? What type of questions lend themselves to the inclusion of a diagram, and which don't? Also, would I put them in just section 3 or also section 4, or?

I did ask someone earlier, but they too were a student and I wanted to get your perspective given your incredible mark of 95. My teachers have never mentioned the word diagram, graph, or table all year, however none of them have ever marked the HSC.

Thanks so much!

MisterNeo

• MOTM: MAY 2017
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +454
« Reply #376 on: October 23, 2017, 12:54:41 am »
+6
Hi Isaac,
Are diagrams necessary to get a 19-20/20? Or at least, do markers prefer responses with diagrams?? What type of questions lend themselves to the inclusion of a diagram, and which don't? Also, would I put them in just section 3 or also section 4, or?

I did ask someone earlier, but they too were a student and I wanted to get your perspective given your incredible mark of 95. My teachers have never mentioned the word diagram, graph, or table all year, however none of them have ever marked the HSC.

Thanks so much!
Hey ;D
Not having a diagram won’t lock you out of a 19-20, but it does make it a lot harder to reach that range. Using a diagram allows the marker to see that you know your syllabus dotpoints, which you may not have a chance to include elsewhere as it could be irrelevant. In my trials Section 4 (20/20), I was talking about training as part of HR management, and I included a diagram showing current skill/future skill and onsite/offsite branched out from training. I wouldn’t have had time to address each of those topics, so I just put them into a mind map to show the marker that I knew my stuff. What you include in a diagram can just be the relevant syllabus dotpoints branched out in a mind map. Personally, I’d definitely include at least one diagram in each report, but it’s up to you. :)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 12:59:36 am by MisterNeo »

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #377 on: October 23, 2017, 02:40:45 pm »
Hey guys,
Since the Business Studies syllabus was made in 2010, do you think the exams would still use the Occupational Health and Safety Act 1991, or would they update it to the Work Health Safety Act 2011?
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!

Vinnnnnnyyyyyy

• Trailblazer
« Reply #378 on: October 23, 2017, 06:59:46 pm »
Hey,

Which one of the international payments is the most risk for the exporter? All the notes I've looked at have different answers, particularly the bill of exchange and clean payment. Which one is the definitive answer?
2016:
Mathematics 2U - 96
Mathematics 3U - 92

2017:
English Advanced - 92
Legal Studies - 91
Economics - 88
Business Studies - 93

ATAR: 97.6

B Commerce/Law - UNSW

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #379 on: October 23, 2017, 07:12:32 pm »
Hey,

Which one of the international payments is the most risk for the exporter? All the notes I've looked at have different answers, particularly the bill of exchange and clean payment. Which one is the definitive answer?

Clean payment involves the most risk for the exporter as the exporter ships the goods directly to the importer before payment is received. ie only after the goods are received by the importer does the exporter receive payment.

Bill of exchange, however, allows the exporter to maintain control over the goods until payment is either made or guaranteed.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 07:14:17 pm by 12070 »

Juliesokha

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #380 on: October 23, 2017, 08:58:22 pm »
Hi,
can someone differentiate the differences between government policies and legal regulations in operations and also could you please give me examples of the policies/rules that fall under each of them?

Also, do I have to only use Australian case studies?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 10:22:18 pm by Juliesokha »

BradMate

• Trailblazer
« Reply #381 on: October 23, 2017, 11:03:52 pm »
Hey ;D
Not having a diagram won’t lock you out of a 19-20, but it does make it a lot harder to reach that range. Using a diagram allows the marker to see that you know your syllabus dotpoints, which you may not have a chance to include elsewhere as it could be irrelevant. In my trials Section 4 (20/20), I was talking about training as part of HR management, and I included a diagram showing current skill/future skill and onsite/offsite branched out from training. I wouldn’t have had time to address each of those topics, so I just put them into a mind map to show the marker that I knew my stuff. What you include in a diagram can just be the relevant syllabus dotpoints branched out in a mind map. Personally, I’d definitely include at least one diagram in each report, but it’s up to you. :)

thanks very much!!! So, aim for at least a diagram in Section 3 (busi report) and at least one in Section 4 (extended response)? Thanks :) 

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #382 on: October 24, 2017, 12:03:22 am »
+6
Hi Isaac,

Thanks so much!

Hey Brad,

Definitely agree with MisterNeo on this one. try to incorporate them into your report/essay effectively. What I mean by this is that they must be relevant - don't just chuck in a graph for the sake of having a diagram somewhere since the marker will most likely look on that badly. Instead use it to convey things in a clearer and more succinct way. Like what MisterNeo said having a mindmap to signpost the different types of training.
Its not a requirement to get a top band but it just shows that you can think in different ways and show off some of your knowledge and skill but only if it is relevant. I have done many business reports with no diagrams because the questions posed didnt require a diagram and I still got in the top band so it really depends.

Hope this helps though and make sure you know your graphs if you do need to rely on them in the exam :)

Hey guys,
Since the Business Studies syllabus was made in 2010, do you think the exams would still use the Occupational Health and Safety Act 1991, or would they update it to the Work Health Safety Act 2011?

Hey Rodero,
You would use the more up to date legislation name; so the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 (NSW) if there was a question on it. You could also look at other statutes and bodies such as Safe Work Australia :) Just because the syllabus was made before, it doesnt dictate legislation that must be learned it just talks broadly about work health and safety in the HR topic. So it would include changes to the law and what the current law is.

Hope this helps, good luck for business studies!!

Hi,
can someone differentiate the differences between government policies and legal regulations in operations and also could you please give me examples of the policies/rules that fall under each of them?

Also, do I have to only use Australian case studies?

Hey there,
This dot point used to always confuse me I kept asking my teacher many questions - I have accepted the fact that they are very similar and have parts that overlap. But my understanding was that government policies was the government stance on the economy and other issues such as the environment. This included rules and regulations they imposed as well as who was in power at the time (since each political party has different objectives/views/beliefs/goals. In contrast legal regulations are the specific statutes and laws that govern what businesses can and cant do. This is different since laws take a while to change since they must pass through the houses of parliament and don't change frequently since usually what the law is, is the law.

One example that confused me was the carbon tax since it's a government policy on environment but it was also a statutory measure hence being both a government policy and a legal influence.

In terms of the case study, you are not bound by Australia only - definitely use cases from overseas and even make up your own (I assume we are talking about section 4 of the paper here). You are allowed to make up fake case studies so it stands to reason you can use overseas/international case studies to strengthen your argument!!
Hope this clears some things up. Sorry I couldn't give you a better answer :(
HSC 2016:   ATAR: 99+
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

2017: B Commerce/B Law @ UNSW  

~BK~

• Trendsetter
  • "Bibia be ye ye"- all will be well!
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #383 on: October 24, 2017, 12:14:19 pm »
does anyone have a tip on how to best nail the MC...??
they always seem to be about random, specific content that we haven't necessarily covered in class... ::)
thanks in advance for the tips
BRING ON NOV 2nd ;D

BradMate

• Trailblazer
« Reply #384 on: October 24, 2017, 12:21:09 pm »
Hey ;D

Thanks so much to you and Isaac! I appreciate the help :)

Good luck for Thursday!!

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #385 on: October 24, 2017, 12:49:47 pm »
does anyone have a tip on how to best nail the MC...??
they always seem to be about random, specific content that we haven't necessarily covered in class... ::)
thanks in advance for the tips
Use a highlighter, or underline key words.
I can't tell you how effective using a highlighter is. Highlight directive terms, key words from the syllabus, then eliminate two answers that are completely incorrect/irrelevant.

bimberfairy

• Trendsetter
  • Dedicate the present to working on yourself
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #386 on: October 24, 2017, 01:09:58 pm »
Hey guys,

Hey! I believe they would use the Work Health Safety Act 2011, simply because it's the latest piece of legislation and I don't see why they would refer to the old Act.
HSC 2017: Mathematics Extension | Mathematics Advanced | English Advanced | Biology | Legal Studies | Business Studies
2018: Bachelor of Commerce/Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars) @ USYD

"Everyone's fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

1403pls

• Adventurer
  • School: Ravens wood
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #387 on: October 24, 2017, 01:35:19 pm »
 How would you structure the following:
1. explain the potential conflicts between short-terms and long-term financial objectives
2. explain why goods and/or services are central to both marketing and operations
3. explain how operations strategy can help a business sustain its competitive advantage
4. examine the advantages of a diverse, culturally competent workforce for a global business
5. compare the process of negotiating enterprise/collective agreements with the negotiation of individual contracts
Thank you so much !! xx

~BK~

• Trendsetter
  • "Bibia be ye ye"- all will be well!
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #388 on: October 24, 2017, 03:17:13 pm »
Use a highlighter, or underline key words.
I can't tell you how effective using a highlighter is. Highlight directive terms, key words from the syllabus, then eliminate two answers that are completely incorrect/irrelevant.
good plan...
thanks opengangs  ;D i always take in a highlighter but never actually use it effectively!!
thanks for the advice
BRING ON NOV 2nd ;D

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #389 on: October 24, 2017, 03:36:31 pm »
Hey guys,
Are outsourcing and contracting the same thing? The textbook seems to give virtually identical definitions of them. I was wondering if there's any distinct features that separate the two.
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!