Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 16, 2024, 01:31:09 pm

Author Topic: HSC Business Studies Question Thread  (Read 224478 times)  Share 

~BK~

• Trendsetter
  • "Bibia be ye ye"- all will be well!
  • Respect: +24
Re: Business Studies Question Thread
« Reply #360 on: October 21, 2017, 03:53:51 pm »
I definitely think that around 12,000 is a good length purely because you might be spending too much time on it if it's any longer and might be detracting from the other sections. However if you can smash those sections and give yourself an hour for sections 3 and 4 then by all means write as much relevant information as you can.

Hi Isaac...
just clarifying in the above post that you meant 1200 and 1500?!
i really really hope so *fingers crossed*
thanks...and btw expect to see a lot of questions on here once my maths is done and i can finally start focusing on business!!
sooo... thanks in advance
BRING ON NOV 2nd ;D

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #361 on: October 21, 2017, 03:59:40 pm »
Hi Isaac...
just clarifying in the above post that you meant 1200 and 1500?!
i really really hope so *fingers crossed*
thanks...and btw expect to see a lot of questions on here once my maths is done and i can finally start focusing on business!!
sooo... thanks in advance

No, minimum 10,000 words

Jokes that was a mistake ahah thanks for notifying me!! Will modify my post :D
i definitely mean 1200 and 1500 ahaha a12000 would be almost impossible
HSC 2016:   ATAR: 99+
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

2017: B Commerce/B Law @ UNSW  

~BK~

• Trendsetter
« Reply #362 on: October 21, 2017, 04:02:10 pm »
No, minimum 10,000 words

Jokes that was a mistake ahah thanks for notifying me!! Will modify my post :D
i definitely mean 1200 and 1500 ahaha a12000 would be almost impossible

hahaha, woah, i only read the first line and just about fell off my chair... i thought you were being honest...
that was, until i read down!!  :P ;D
thanks for that... i was thinking we'd hafta be writing about 30 pages!!
BRING ON NOV 2nd ;D

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #363 on: October 21, 2017, 04:03:01 pm »
hahaha, woah, i only read the first line and just about fell off my chair... i thought you were being honest...
that was, until i read down!!  :P ;D
thanks for that... i was thinking we'd hafta be writing about 30 pages!!
Doing a Ph. D. thesis in business studies without having even done first year uni accounting. Seems legit.

~BK~

• Trendsetter
« Reply #364 on: October 21, 2017, 04:04:44 pm »
Doing a Ph. D. thesis in business studies without having even done first year uni accounting. Seems legit.

ok, ok, but my standards are about 1200 words limit!!
BRING ON NOV 2nd ;D

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #365 on: October 21, 2017, 04:06:50 pm »
ok, ok, but my standards are about 1200 words limit!!

Dont worry, especially for business reports - subheadings and diagrams really spreads out your report over a few pages - ends up looking longer than it did :D
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

~BK~

• Trendsetter
« Reply #366 on: October 21, 2017, 04:09:29 pm »
Dont worry, especially for business reports - subheadings and diagrams really spreads out your report over a few pages - ends up looking longer than it did :D

true, and maybe i'll write in BIG FONT
haha, always helps to spread it out!  ;)
with regard to diagrams, what sort of diagrams did you draw in your report??... this is something i've always struggled with!
BRING ON NOV 2nd ;D

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #367 on: October 21, 2017, 04:16:06 pm »
+2
with regard to diagrams, what sort of diagrams did you draw in your report??... this is something i've always struggled with!

definitely - i had super big writing - like 7 words a page.

IN terms of diagrams:
it really depends on the question:
some that i remember were business cycles, business life/product life cycles, break even point, this was a bit like desperate but I even included a diagram of the 4 HR processes in like a cycle ahahah was a bit weird but I did it.

If you draw the diagram, make sure you explain it though. so refer to the diagram, put points A/B/C if needed and explain how it relates to the business scenario.

MisterNeo

• MOTM: MAY 2017
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +454
« Reply #368 on: October 21, 2017, 04:25:37 pm »
+3

For diagrams, I just pluck them from the relevant syllabus dotpoints for each section I'm talking about.

I write like 10 words a line at the start, then 3 words a line at the end.  :P

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #369 on: October 21, 2017, 07:25:02 pm »
Hey guys!
Could someone explain to me how D is the correct answer here? I'd be more inclined to think that C would be the answer, as a recession would urge HRM to retain the employees and their skills. Then again, the question is asking for the most likely answer,
 so I must be missing something here. Could anyone lend a hand?

Cheers  :)

HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!

Hangm3

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #370 on: October 21, 2017, 08:35:55 pm »
+2
Hey guys!
Could someone explain to me how D is the correct answer here? I'd be more inclined to think that C would be the answer, as a recession would urge HRM to retain the employees and their skills. Then again, the question is asking for the most likely answer,

Cheers  :

(Image removed from quote.)
The answer cant be C, as there would be an increase in involuntary separation during a recession since Employers struggle to remunerate staff due to prevailing economic conditions.
Thus employee bargaining power would also decrease as the demand for labour has decreased. Therefore the answer is D

Juliesokha

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #371 on: October 21, 2017, 10:53:15 pm »
1. Analyses business functions and processes in large and global businesses? Can someone please help me with this question?
In my perspective, with this question I'd talk about the ethics and csr as the business needs to take care of those stuffs when they are involving themselves in the global market etc?

MisterNeo

• MOTM: MAY 2017
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +454
« Reply #372 on: October 21, 2017, 11:00:54 pm »
+3
Hey guys!

Cheers  :)

(Image removed from quote.)

A recession is a decrease in economic activity, as consumer confidence decreases. This causes less spending, which means that businesses will not need as many staff to assist with meeting customer demands. They would want to reduce their number of staff since they become redundant and only incur extra costs. Businesses would only keep their most skilled and fire the less experienced workers, hence involuntary separation increases during a recession. ;)

JoyMaalouf

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #373 on: October 22, 2017, 10:24:16 am »
Hey guys! Could somebody please explain the difference between intermediate and industrial markets?? Thanks:)

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #374 on: October 22, 2017, 01:45:25 pm »
+5
1. Analyses business functions and processes in large and global businesses? Can someone please help me with this question?
In my perspective, with this question I'd talk about the ethics and csr as the business needs to take care of those stuffs when they are involving themselves in the global market etc?

Hey there,

Analyses business functions and processes in large and global businesses i think is waaayyy too broad to be a possible essay question and its also an outcome. But lets try break it down though.
So analyse means "Identify components and the relationship between them" so if we are analysing business functions and processes in large and global businesses. I would interpret this as a question on interdependence since you identify components of business funcitons and processes and then the relationships between them. May not be correct but that's the interpretation I geet from it.

So then you would choose processes of operations or whatever kbf then look at how a business utilises this function and then how it relies on and affects other functions of the business. How the business has streamlined the process and increased integratino to make each function work more efficiently and cooperatively.

Not sure but thats just what I would have done - what were your thoughts on this question?

i'm not too sure how much ethics and csr come into play in this question but I think it is definitely worth mentioning and expanding on it on a global scale.

Hope this helps :)

Hey guys! Could somebody please explain the difference between intermediate and industrial markets?? Thanks:)

Hey there,
this one always used to confuse me because I also did economics and in that subject, intermediate means used as inputs in the production process.

However, in business studies, an intermediate market is one where finished goods are traded between businesses. So usually from wholesalers to retailers or manufacturers to retailers - consumers are not buying goods from this market. Instead, businesses are buying them in order to sell them to consumers or to other businesses.

In contrast, an industrial market is one where the products are sold are to be used as inputs into production of another good. So things like flower to make bread, aluminium to make cars etc. So businesses will buy things that they can use to produce another good.

Hope that clears things up :)