Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 08:25:06 pm

Author Topic: Mod B  (Read 7663 times)

Sa1998

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +5
Mod B
« on: July 12, 2016, 09:30:11 pm »
Hey, I'm doing speeches for mod B and I'm not quite sure if I should memorise all my essays for all speeches since they may specify. Please give me advice!!

conic curve

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
Re: Mod B
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 09:33:17 pm »
I don't think memorising essays is a good idea. What's better though is to practice essays (all types). Also try to have paragraphs under each theme (e.g. Discovery is about forming new relationships. This has been displayed through __________. Discovery is being a new type of person, etc) and try to apply those to your question

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 10:20:31 pm »
+3
Hey, I'm doing speeches for mod B and I'm not quite sure if I should memorise all my essays for all speeches since they may specify. Please give me advice!!

Hey Sa1998,
Memorising or not memorising essays can be quite controversial depending on who you talk to; for some people its super helpful to have everything sorted out beforehand (I personally do), whereas others might struggle to adapt to questions under exam conditions if they have something memorised.
I'm not familiar with speeches for Mod B so I'm not sure if it would be an advantage or not to memorise....

Check out these articles that discuss both methods:
Elyse is a memoriser, http://atarnotes.com/memorising-english-essays/
and Jamon isn't, http://atarnotes.com/memorising-essays/

Sarah  :)

HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 10:21:40 pm »
Hey Sa1998,
Memorising or not memorising essays can be quite controversial depending on who you talk to; for some people its super helpful to have everything sorted out beforehand (I personally do), whereas others might struggle to adapt to questions under exam conditions if they have something memorised.
I'm not familiar with speeches for Mod B so I'm not sure if it would be an advantage or not to memorise....

Check out these articles that discuss both methods:
Elyse is a memoriser, http://atarnotes.com/memorising-english-essays/
and Jamon isn't, http://atarnotes.com/memorising-essays/

Sarah  :)
Great links :)
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Sa1998

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 07:32:37 pm »
Thank you for your replies
Great help

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 11:27:31 pm »

Hey there! I'll add also that my HSC had a speech specified for Module B, and not only one specified, but one of the awful ones that everyone hated!! Even though I'm a non-memoriser, you should definitely be prepared for a response on any of the speeches you study! Just in case  ;)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 10:19:38 am »

Hey Sa!! I didn't prepare essays, nor memorise an essay, for module B (which actually goes against what I did for like everything else!). The reason being, I studied Yeats' poems and I knew that at any moment, they could actually specify a single poem to use and there was no way I was preparing 7 different essays to relate to that. Not only that, but Yeats' poems have been around on the HSC list FOR YEARS, so they are becoming more creative with the questions they ask you in the exam. I have just uploaded my poetry notes so that you can see how I prepared each and every poem. But, they are being cleared for spam so should be up in the next 24 hours, and then I'll link you to them! Basically, I focused on each poem, sentence/line by sentence/line. I worked really hard to find like, three meanings or three techniques in each line. This wasn't just to be crazy, it was so that with memorising one quote, I could use it for three different things. This will make more sense when I can show you the notes, which should be soon! I'll link them in a comment here. Basically, I made my study notes for each poem great, by using colour, sometimes pictures, and laminating them. I know people say it is a waste of time to decorate notes, but to me it made it so much easier to recall in an exam because I am a visual learner!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

lha

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Lambton High School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 09:28:23 pm »
what are the key points in writing a mod b essay?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 09:37:43 pm »
what are the key points in writing a mod b essay?

From the Advanced syllabus:

This module requires students to explore and evaluate a specific text and its reception in a range of contexts. It develops students’ understanding of questions of textual integrity.

This module is highly evaluative. Your essay needs to have a strong judgement as to the effectiveness of the text, how effectively the composer brings together technique, form, and contextual sensitivity to successfully represent a concept to meet their aims (textual integrity). Besides this evaluation, you'll be hitting the regular marks: Techniques, effect, context, and critically: The audience reception, both yours and that of the audience of the context  ;D i hope that helps!! In this module, the key word is evaluation.

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 08:58:39 am »
ATAR: 99.80

Essay Marking Explanation and Policies!

Mathematics: 96 |  English Advanced: 96 | Mathematics Extension 1: 96 | Music 1: 95 | Physics: 92 | Legal Studies: 98 | Studies of Religion: 96

Offtopic i know but how does one achieve these marks!?! Yes, I know average Joe on the street couldn't; there had to be some talent involved but what was your study regime to get motivated and achieve an atar of 99.80? My goal is an 87.00 and I've only got 2 Band 5's atm so don't think it will happen..  :-\

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 10:23:58 am »
Offtopic i know but how does one achieve these marks!?! Yes, I know average Joe on the street couldn't; there had to be some talent involved but what was your study regime to get motivated and achieve an atar of 99.80? My goal is an 87.00 and I've only got 2 Band 5's atm so don't think it will happen..  :-\

Ahahaha, average Joe on the street could with enough hard work!! And if he used ATAR Notes  ;) you don't need expensive tutors or anything like that, you just need to work hard, and this site means that anyone who wants to get a 99.80 can do their absolute best to do that.

Look, it's true, I'm a naturally intelligent guy. Definitely not anywhere near the smartest person around, but reasonably intelligent, enough that absorbing information comes naturally for me. That helps, and I'm honest about that, it meant I got more out of my study. But that just means I had it a little easier, everyone can do the same, but it might just take them a little longer than me.

For me, I was motivated by two main things:

1 - I didn't know what I wanted to do and so didn't want to be excluded from my choice when I found out. I ended up needing a 96 ATAR, but I didn't know that at the start. I wanted to get the absolute best ATAR I could because I hated the thought of not being able to do what I wanted once I found out.

2 - I was told I couldn't. This is why I love being on ATAR Notes as well. Coming from Western Sydney, I was told by students from Sydney Uni at Open Days, and pretty much everyone else too, that "You won't get a 99 coming from that far out West." I was told to not try to get into Law, or Med, etc., because I wouldn't get the ATAR. That's bullshit. I worked hard to prove them wrong, they really pissed me off to be honest, and now I have a higher ATAR than them. Ha  ;) that's why I love this site, because I had to do it without these amazing free resources, which was tough. I want everyone to have access to what they need to succeed  ;D

My study regime was not overly intensive, couple of hours a day and then more on weekends. I worked, I saw my girlfriend (she studied heaps which was probably helpful for motivating me, lol). I had a pretty balanced life. But when push came to shove, I made a schedule, I stuck to it, I worked my butt off. And that's it. Natural talent won't give you success in the HSC, but hard work will pay itself back 10 fold  :)

I've written a few articles you might want to read about study timetables and such:

99 ATAR Guide
Study Timetable Guide
Study Efficiency

Please don't ever say you can't achieve your goal. You can!! Work hard, smash your Trials, smash your HSC, who is to say you won't get Band 6's!! You can get 87.00, absolutely you can, but you won't get it unless you actually think you can. You won't try to run a marathon unless you think you can run the marathon, and this is the same. You CAN do it. Work hard to get yourself there  ;D

Klexos

• Forum Regular
  • Exceeding limitations
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 12:26:44 pm »
+1
That was a fuelled and inspiring speech LOL :D

Regarding Module B, how should we be studying for Module B? Its requirement a lot of flexibility (characters, settings and quotes etc) and I'm not too sure where to start.
2015 HSC: Business Studies

2016 HSC: English Advanced  l  Mathematics  l Mathematics Extension 1  l  Economics  l  Physics

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 03:51:36 pm »
That was a fuelled and inspiring speech LOL :D

Regarding Module B, how should we be studying for Module B? Its requirement a lot of flexibility (characters, settings and quotes etc) and I'm not too sure where to start.

For module B, you just really really need to know your texts well! I had poems for Mod B, so I was stretching my memory as far as I could. You're spot on the money that flexibility is required for this module. I didn't memorise a specific essay for this module like I did the others, instead I pretty well just memorised as much of the poems as I could, and an analysis to this.

I think you should start by finding the main themes in your text(s). There should be some variety here, they don't have to link! So for me, themes included: identity, ageing, youth, artistic inspiration, questioning of life, and so on! So, as you can see, there's a lot of variety. Unlike Area of Study where you are given a rubric to work from, there's a lot of variation in what you could be asked, and the question is tailored to your text specifically! So if you identify as many themes as you can in your text, then it's kind of like you've created your own rubric to work from and predict questions or at least the region that the question might come from.

Then, it comes down to knowing your text(s) well, knowing the quotes, knowing how to analyse it, etc. Module B is definitely a tricky one, it is the least predictable in my opinion. So start with the themes, look through past papers to highlight some trends and patterns, work on knowing your text well and pick out significant quotes, and commit them to memory :)

Klexos

• Forum Regular
  • Exceeding limitations
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 11:55:53 am »
Yup! My tutor and I have completed body paragraphs for Hamlet way back in Term 2 (with the introduction, topic sentences/concluding sentences and conclusion being completely up to my ability to explicitly address the question) to use to answer all types of questions (so I have addressed the main themes, settings - very subtly, and characters)

Definitely will be looking at a few papers for Module B  :-[
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 12:02:04 pm by Klexos »
2015 HSC: Business Studies

2016 HSC: English Advanced  l  Mathematics  l Mathematics Extension 1  l  Economics  l  Physics

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 07:21:38 pm »
Yup! My tutor and I have completed body paragraphs for Hamlet way back in Term 2 (with the introduction, topic sentences/concluding sentences and conclusion being completely up to my ability to explicitly address the question) to use to answer all types of questions (so I have addressed the main themes, settings - very subtly, and characters)

Definitely will be looking at a few papers for Module B  :-[

It definitely sounds like your on the right track! Exposing yourself to as many past papers as possible will help you pick trends, which is super important so that you can eliminate as many surprises as possible!