Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 05:23:44 am

Author Topic: VCE General & Further Maths Question Thread!  (Read 759239 times)  Share 

Jono_CP

Re: VCE Further Maths Question Thread!
« Reply #585 on: July 07, 2014, 08:45:58 pm »
These questions trouble me.

Jono_CP

« Reply #586 on: July 07, 2014, 09:12:51 pm »
Help with this question is also needed

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #587 on: July 07, 2014, 09:21:48 pm »
+3
For this, I'm going to introduce a notation you're probably not aware of, which comes from the methods curriculum - is the probability of A if you already know that B has happened. We can then put this into a matrix equation like so:

Remembering this whole set up can be a little annoying, so here's some tips - first, for the two column matrices, the one on the far right will always be the state before the one on the initial left, and the matrix in the middle is the transition matrix. To remember how we laid out the transition matrix, for , X will be whatever is in the left most matrix in the same row, and Y will be whatever you'd get if you multiplied the matrices out. If you can find another way which works for you, use that - the best way to remember this is whatever way works for you! :)

Now, to interpret this question. It says that 10% of the wagons that were at point A ended at point B - this means that . It also says that 8% of the wagons that started at point B ended at point A, this means that . So, this gives us the following matrix equation:

Now, here's something cool - the columns of any transition matrix MUST add up to one. Using this information, we can now complete the transition matrix, giving us:

Now, for part b, we're told that initially 125 wagons were at each starting point. So, we can now plug this into the far-right matrix (also called the initial state matrix, for this reason):

(note: if you know anything about probabilities, you'll know that they must be between 0 and 1. Don't worry, though - what I'm doing here is perfectly fine if you change those "Pr"s to "n"s like I did above - and it still works! ;) )

However, using this transition matrix only counts for one week, so in truth we actually have to apply it twice to get two weeks like the question wants us to. Using a CAS, this gives us:

So, 130 carts are at point A and 120 carts are at point B.

Part c is the same principle, but we don't have whole numbers to work with. So, we know that 40% start at point A, and that columns must add up to 100%, so we get:

But once again - the use of one transition matrix only counts for one week, and this questions wants to know about 6 weeks, so we have to use it 6 times, giving us:

Plugging this into the CAS, we get:

So, 51% of the carriages will be at point A, and 49% of the carriages will be at point B.

Jono_CP

« Reply #588 on: July 07, 2014, 10:10:33 pm »
For this, I'm going to introduce a notation you're probably not aware of, which comes from the methods curriculum - is the probability of A if you already know that B has happened. We can then put this into a matrix equation like so:

Remembering this whole set up can be a little annoying, so here's some tips - first, for the two column matrices, the one on the far right will always be the state before the one on the initial left, and the matrix in the middle is the transition matrix. To remember how we laid out the transition matrix, for , X will be whatever is in the left most matrix in the same row, and Y will be whatever you'd get if you multiplied the matrices out. If you can find another way which works for you, use that - the best way to remember this is whatever way works for you! :)

Now, to interpret this question. It says that 10% of the wagons that were at point A ended at point B - this means that . It also says that 8% of the wagons that started at point B ended at point A, this means that . So, this gives us the following matrix equation:

Now, here's something cool - the columns of any transition matrix MUST add up to one. Using this information, we can now complete the transition matrix, giving us:

Now, for part b, we're told that initially 125 wagons were at each starting point. So, we can now plug this into the far-right matrix (also called the initial state matrix, for this reason):

(note: if you know anything about probabilities, you'll know that they must be between 0 and 1. Don't worry, though - what I'm doing here is perfectly fine if you change those "Pr"s to "n"s like I did above - and it still works! ;) )

However, using this transition matrix only counts for one week, so in truth we actually have to apply it twice to get two weeks like the question wants us to. Using a CAS, this gives us:

So, 130 carts are at point A and 120 carts are at point B.

Part c is the same principle, but we don't have whole numbers to work with. So, we know that 40% start at point A, and that columns must add up to 100%, so we get:

But once again - the use of one transition matrix only counts for one week, and this questions wants to know about 6 weeks, so we have to use it 6 times, giving us:

Plugging this into the CAS, we get:

So, 51% of the carriages will be at point A, and 49% of the carriages will be at point B.
Legend! Thanks so much I will look at this great explanation soon thank you so much :)

Jono_CP

« Reply #589 on: July 07, 2014, 10:11:50 pm »
Anyone able to assist?

LiquidPaperz

« Reply #590 on: July 08, 2014, 03:07:38 pm »
looking for some help on this one, answer is d

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #591 on: July 08, 2014, 03:35:56 pm »
looking for some help on this one, answer is d

break-even analysis (module 3) help with review question
This was actually answered a couple of years ago - and I'm with Stick, I reckon the answer should be $3. I'm guessing you're meant to do something along the lines of "it's not there - D is closest, I'll pick that"? Pretty stupid, though...

LiquidPaperz

« Reply #592 on: July 08, 2014, 03:41:16 pm »
I saw that thread, i didnt understand it? she said to produce 80 apple pies it cost $140

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #593 on: July 08, 2014, 03:57:45 pm »
I'm assuming that's a typo, because she supplied the correct points, and gave the correct relationship between cost of making an apple pie and number of apple pies made. If she used a numpad, 4 and 7 are right next to each other, so it makes sense.

LiquidPaperz

« Reply #594 on: July 08, 2014, 04:53:45 pm »
could you please tell me how you'd work it out, i dont understand how the other thread did it? thanks, im working ahead as well

LiquidPaperz

« Reply #595 on: July 08, 2014, 05:43:09 pm »
nvm i got it

First find cost of making 80 pies.

C = mn +c where c = 20 (y-int)
C = mn + 20

m = (170 - 20) / (100 - 0)
m = 150/100 = 1.5

Cost = 1.5n + 20
when n = 80, C = 140

PROFIT = REVENUE - COST
100 = R - 140
R = 240

Revenue from selling 80 pies is $240
Divide by 80 to get selling price of one pie.
240/80 = 3.00
Closest answer is D.

lilellanii

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #596 on: July 12, 2014, 08:53:44 pm »
Hello (:
Is there anyone who can give me advice on how to cut/crash efficiently in the networks module? The Essentials textbook only skims through it... Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Splash-Tackle-Flail

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • diagnosed with bangali-fever
  • Respect: +94
« Reply #597 on: July 13, 2014, 05:42:25 pm »
Hey how do you answer questions that end in decimal places but don't specify how many decimal places to answer it to, for example if the predicted number of passengers on a plane is 199.483 (answer from least sq reg line). Would you say 199 passengers, or round to 2dp?
VCE: Done!
2016:  Monash University, Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery (Honours)
Currently offering Methods and Chemistry tutoring for 2016! (Currently full for 2016)
Splash's Life Tips :)
How to be the one who knocks

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #598 on: July 13, 2014, 05:52:46 pm »
+2
Hey how do you answer questions that end in decimal places but don't specify how many decimal places to answer it to, for example if the predicted number of passengers on a plane is 199.483 (answer from least sq reg line). Would you say 199 passengers, or round to 2dp?

Well... when it comes to stuff like that, just look to common sense. Are you really going to have a 0.483 of a person?
If it HAS to be whole, round to the nearest whole.
If it ISN'T always whole, round to 2dp or as specified.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Splash-Tackle-Flail

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • diagnosed with bangali-fever
  • Respect: +94
« Reply #599 on: July 13, 2014, 07:19:19 pm »
Well... when it comes to stuff like that, just look to common sense. Are you really going to have a 0.483 of a person?
If it HAS to be whole, round to the nearest whole.
If it ISN'T always whole, round to 2dp or as specified.
Thank you! would that be the same for calculating the mean of the data?
VCE: Done!
2016:  Monash University, Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery (Honours)
Currently offering Methods and Chemistry tutoring for 2016! (Currently full for 2016)
Splash's Life Tips :)
How to be the one who knocks